New PDL Alignment

beachesl

Central Conference

Heartland Division: Colorado Springs Blizzard, Des Moines Menace, Kansas City Brass, Sioux Falls SpitFire, Thunder Bay Chill and a new team in Springfield, Missouri.

Great Lakes Division: Chicago Fire Reserves, Cleveland Internationals, Fort Wayne Fever, Indiana Invaders, Kalamazoo Kingdom, Michigan Bucks, Toledo Slayers and West Michigan Edge.

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division: Westchester Flames, Ottawa Fury, Albany Blackwatch Highlanders, Brooklyn Knights, Reading Rage, Rhode Island Stingrays, South Jersey Barons, Vermont Voltage and Cape Cod Crusaders.

Mid Atlantic Division: Carolina Dynamo, Raleigh CASL Elite, Richmond Kickers Future, West Virginia Chaos and Williamsburg Legacy.

Southern Conference

Mid South Division: Laredo Heat, Austin Lightning, DFW Tornados, El Paso Patriots, Memphis Express, Nashville Metros and New Orleans Shell Shockers.

The Southeast Division: Ajax Orlando Prospects, Bradenton Academics, Cocoa Expos, Palm Beach Pumas and Central Florida Kraze.

Western Conference

Southwest Division: Bakersfield, California, BYU Cougars, California Gold, Fresno Fuego, Nevada Wonders, Orange County Blue Star, San Diego Gauchos, Southern California Seahorses and Bakersfield.

Northwest Division: Abbotsford Rangers, Cascade Surge, Spokane Shadow and Yakima Reds.

PDL 2005 alignment announced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, November 11, 2004

TAMPA, FL – United Soccer Leagues announced Thursday the alignment and operational details for the 2005 USL Premier Development League season.

While USL’s professional division will see much change this offseason, the 53-team PDL will see just a few changes. The most significant change in the league is a reduction in the season to a 16-game schedule from 18.

“The PDL has become a leader in developing players for the professional ranks here and abroad,” said PDL Director of Operations Steve Clamp. “The league’s Executive Committee has done a fantastic job over the last five years of leading the PDL to excellence that the only big change brought about for the 2005 season was a slight reduction in the number of games to ease the demands of scheduling within the summer window for the collegiate players.”

The three-week playoff format remains unchanged. The top two teams per division in the Central, Eastern and Southern Conferences will advance to the conference playoff tournament. In the Western, only the top team from the four-team Northwest Division will advance to the conference tournament with the Southwest Division sending three teams. The conference tournaments will determine the four league semifinalists, semifinals. Hosts for all playoff events, including the championship, will be determined via a bid process.

Overtime will continue to be used in the PDL with two 10-minute periods played in their entirety during the regular season and two 15-minute periods in the playoffs. Soccer’s world governing body FIFA eliminated the use of ‘golden’ goal, which was previously used.

The PDL alignment structure remains unchanged with two divisions within each of the four conferences.

Teams not returning in 2005 are the Chesapeake Dragons, Indiana Blast, Jersey Falcons, New Jersey Stallions, Wisconsin Rebels and Lafayette Swamp Cats, who sold their franchise rights to the new team in Bakersfield.

http://uslsoccer.com/home/86653.html

59 teams. Players playing for free. Something wrong. I live in Ottawa and I hope the Fury try to sell this to me in a way that I want to go out to a game. With the W-league you can argue that those players are the best in the world.

I think the PDL guys are going to be not even the best in Ottawa due to age limitations.

Ouch.

Wait and see I guess.

pdl teams runs there programs different.With abbotsford they have to deal with the pcsl etc so there area is a bit weak.With ottawa they are going along the lines as alot of the pdl teams and run it like a pro team.There will be some players from ottawa but they are going to have players from all over the country and some from the states.Yes there is a age limit much like jr hockey they are allowed to have 7 players over 21.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

pdl teams runs there programs different.With abbotsford they have to deal with the pcsl etc so there area is a bit weak.With ottawa they are going along the lines as alot of the pdl teams and run it like a pro team.There will be some players from ottawa but they are going to have players from all over the country and some from the states.Yes there is a age limit much like jr hockey they are allowed to have 7 players over 21.

Actually, the rules are that they are allowed 8 players over 23 on the PDL rosters. The basic rules for 2004, and I don't believe there have been any changes, are set out as follows:

"Rosters

USL rosters may consist of a maximum of 26 players, with 18 designated for each game. Each team is permitted a maximum of five (5) foreign players on its active game-day roster and a maximum of seven (7) foreign players on its master roster. In the PDL and W-League, at least three players in a full 26-player roster must be under 19, in accordance with guidelines set by the USASA and USSF. In the PDL, a maximum of eight (8) players may be over the age of 23."

http://www.uslsoccer.com/aboutusl/rules/index_E.html

The reason they allow so many seniors is to ostensibly allow the developing players to have more experience with more experienced players (this is a big source of debate in a lot of American forums). The league is amateur in that the players are only allowed to be paid expenses, but professionals are allowed as long as they don't get paid for their appearances in PDL matches.

Its not a ncaa league of any type.Yes there is a huge amount of of ncaa players there is aslo a very large number of players of the college level plus some handfull cis players.

Excuse me if I'm mistaken but was the PDL not specifically instigated to be a summer developmental league primarily for players in the NCAA so that they could maintain their fitness and play competitive games from more than just Sept to Nov? Isn't that why the season is so short (ie. summer only)? Isn't that why no one gets paid (even the over-21's) so that everyone maintains amateur status and doesn't run into trouble from the NCAA?

When I called it "NCAA summer-camp" I didn't mean it in a literal sense and I stand by my reasoning as to why they're maintaining overtime.

Mike.

PDL Mission Statement:

"PREMIER DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE

The soccer stars of tomorrow live in the only national development league for men's soccer, the Premier Development League. The PDL provides top US and Canadian players under 23 years of age with the opportunity to perform in a professionalized setting during the summer months while maintaining their collegiate eligibility."

http://www.uslsoccer.com/aboutusl/index_E.html

I also think that no more than 5 players from the same school can play for any one team. I remember that being posted elsewhere.

I hope the Fury starts using some of it's SYL players upon graduation from it's Youth ranks. I think the W-league Fury had 3 local players. Which isn't saying much of it's view of local talent in Ottawa.

Leagues like the PDL should be local in theory, The PDL is supposed to develop local players who then can move up into the USL First Division.

SO if the Fury isn't going to play at least 12-16 locals---what is point. Why do they exist? If they were a USL First Division team(boy I'm looking back at the A-league with fondness writing that title)that would be different.

Like really who cares if they win the PDL championship? I don't the 200 who will show up for games will stage a parade down Bank Street. I'd rather see X from Ottawa South make the (here we go again) USL First Division or play NCAA.

Can we please just call it the USLFD?

AND I would hope that a Canadian version of the PDL would limit non locals to 2 or 3. Say a 50KM radius. (now that posts are being deleted, I'm towing the party line)

quote:

bettermirror Posted - 11/12/2004 : 00:39:40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the abbotsford rangers are not even the best players in abbotsford, so ottawa isn't any kind of a unique situation in that regard. [/size=1]

the abbotsford rangers seemed to have not a bad squad the last couple years. i'm pretty sure they are the best players coming out of abbotsford as well, even though they are a bit young.

First the fury will draw solid crowds some pdl teams had larger crowds then some first division teams what does that tell you.I am sure some syl kids will make the team but pdl is not a pruley local type of system.The teams that could afford it bring players in from all over the world.Right now the pdl is the corner stone of the usl.

• 2 months later...

Its not a ncaa league of any type.Yes there is a huge amount of of ncaa players there is aslo a very large number of players of the college level plus some handfull cis players.

Hey,

Any chance you could compare the PDL with the CIS level? I play for St. Francis Xavier in the AUS and already have some contacts with the coach of the Fury.

I will probably tryout for the team but I dont really know much about the league.

Any info you can provide would be great.

Thanks

Cheers

Your Argentinian Friend

quote:Originally posted by jay2008

The pdl is no a ncaa farm system but it is for the most part is the same level as ncaa div 1.It is sadto say but cis soccer is a weak product right now.If you are a sub par cis player going into the pdl you may have a hard time.

You may be right for the most part, and there would be no way to compare by cross matches as they have different seasons.

However, given the large number of PDL teams, I would suggest that the better CIS teams would give the PDL good competition. Many of the college players in the CIS play (without contract of course) in the CPSL and PCSL. TWU (with a lot of players playing for the PCSL "Action"), just lost to the Whitecaps 1-0 in an exhibition match last week, and I doubt that Abbotsford of the PDL could keep the scoreline down like that.

Anybody have statisitics as to how many CIS players are in the PDL?

Anybody have any statistics as to exhibiton or tournament matches between the CIS and NCAA? I know that the Univ. of Alberta is heading down to Northern California to play some NCAA and NCAIA teams during the coming reading break, although it is admittedly off-season.

Speaking of the NCAA and CIS, the CIS is getting ready to put together a team in May to play in the Universiade in July in Izmir, Turkey. The Men's team is coached by Pat Raimonde (sp), coach of the U of Montreal Carabins, and the Women's team is being coached by the Coach of the Univ of Ottawa Gee-Gees whose name escapes me. Unfortunately, it looks like they will only be picking CIS players, not including NCAA players, again this year, so our chances of a medal there may be as low as it was in Korea in 2003. Good opportunity for our stay at home college athletes though.

Buena suerte in Ottawa, El otto, it would be a great summer[8D] in Ottawa if you get a place!

Archived