Alan Mannus??

bc_soccer_fan

Anyone know if this guy is cap tied to N. Ireland?

If not then I think Frank Yallop should give him a call to see if he'd be willing to play for Canada. He is one of the top goalies in the Irish league and he is only 22. So he could potentially be our goalie of the future if he is willing to play for us.

Just looked on the Linfield Site

Alan Mannus sounds like a good keeper. I did note that he scored for Linfield against Omagh Town last season and scored a penalty for the U18's a few seasons back.

I also looked on the Northern Ireland FA site. From what I could see he hasn't played for them as of yet.

Not surprising that he's on the NI radar.

We have nothing to lose by taking a stab at this kid. His credentials are as solid as Lars, Kenny or Sutton.

I would go so far as to offer him the meaningless World Cup Qualifying match against Guatemala. If we could cap him, it would probably be the lone positive to come out of the match.

Not surprising that he's on the NI radar.

We have nothing to lose by taking a stab at this kid. His credentials are as solid as Lars, Kenny or Sutton.

I would go so far as to offer him the meaningless World Cup Qualifying match against Guatemala. If we could cap him, it would probably be the lone positive to come out of the match.

I doubt if he is in the sights of the NI federation that he would want to play a meaningless WCQ game for us and get cap tied. The Irish 1st division is one of the poorest first divisions in Europe. I wouldn't rate it higher than the A-league. Anyone with Northern Irish citizenship can play in England as a non-foreigner and the Irish leagues are certainly well scouted by British clubs. If he hasn't made his way to England by age 22 I doubt he is anything special. Certainly wouldn't hurt to take a look if he is willing but I think we have a few young keepers who look far more promising.

Agreed. We don't even know if he is any good. The calibre that he plays in is not a very strong endorsement of his ability and potential. On the other hand there one keeper in the pool who won a championship, piles up clean sheets and awards, yet doesn't get to start for Yallop. Plus we got excellent GK'ing at the U20 level. I don't see why we should turn our back on what we have now for this. The issue is not what we currently have at our disposal but rather who gets chosen to play.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

On the other hand there one keeper in the pool won a championship, piles up clean sheets and awards

I read it too quickly and thought you were talking about Onstad!:D

(You know, won 2 championships, clean sheets, awards, all-star,etc.)

Sutton definitely deserves a shot, as Onstad HAD his.

It'll be interesting in the next few years with Sutton, Lars,

Stamatopolous, Rayner, Karim, Fernandez, Bergovic, et.al.

fighting as the successor to Forrest.

I realize that we have a lot of good young goalie prospects. But I still think that we should still give Alan Mannus a chance if he is willing to play for Canada. Who knows he may be better than everyone else? And if he sucks then at least we know that and we can go on developing our other goalies.

Archived