The New World Cure-All: Video Games

youllneverwalkalone

This thread is in response to the general recurring undertone on this board of "how can we start feeling better about ourselves as Canadian soccer fans."

I have a call into a friend who occupies a significant position at a certain large, Vancouver-officed, video game developer who are set to release a certain soccer game of immense popularity.

My question to him is simple: how many people have to care before we can get a) the MNT in the game (easy, most of the players are already there with their respective clubs) and B) in the international club section, Whitecaps FC, L'Impact de Montreal, and Toronto Lynx (a little more difficult)?

If, in the privacy of the virtual world, somebody can win the UEFA cup with Inverness Caledonian Thistle, shouldn't I be able to make Nick Dasovic dance around Phil Neville and crack one past Tim Howard?

I don't really care to debate equivalencies with other clubs/leagues, the MLS dream, or FIFA rankings. My point is simply two-fold: a) in typical Canadian fashion many do not appreciate the quality we DO have in the aforementioned clubs and B) our domestic players deserve a little bit of exposure, and our international palyers deserve to be recognized as such.

I assume nobody on this board is sitting on the cash to build stadiums and start franchises/leagues. However, I would also assume almost everybody is within the target demographic this entire world is trying to reach.

I want some guesstimates as to how many signatures could be assembled to take to the producers for the 2006 version? I've been assured this is a manpower/cost benefit issue, not a licensing one.

I give this company in question a lot of credit because they are long-term thinkers, even the production people. In the big picture, the cost of goods associated with what I'm proposing can easily be sacrificed without anyone worrying about it for a nanosecond. I suspect the heart of the isssue is that not enough people complain, and therefore they see no intangible value added to the brand. I was in Krakow not so long ago and I'm pretty sure 50 euros for a game is still pretty hard to come by there, but they wouldn't think of leaving Wisla out.

Are you telling me that Canada isn't available as a national team choice in recent versions of FIFA?? It used to be back in the day (like FIFA 98). That game formed the basis for how I pronounce "Peschisolido". :)

I prefer the Winning Eleven series of games, so I haven't played much FIFA since the '98 version. WE6 and WE7 don't have Canada in the game, which is most certainly frustrating.

Wow, no Canada in FIFA. I didn't know about this either. I own most of the earlier FIFA games where Canada was in the game, but like sstackho, I'm also a Winning Eleven convert. It doesn't have Canada as well, but it has only a few teams anyways so it's not as big a deal to me. Instead, I've picked up the last two versions of World Tour to get my fix of playing with Canada. I guess I made the right decision.

I would totally support this. I personally will be purchasing Fifa 2005 the day it is released. I will finally be able to play as Josh ;) I have Fifa 2004, so I play as all of his teammates now. hehe.

As for the Whitecaps etc... If they are selling the game in Canada, having the whitecaps in the game totally promotes soccer in Canada. Kids can play as their idols in the game, then go watch them... I think that is just another thing to put on the list of things that would help promote footy in Canada.

From what I have seen, or, my understanding is anyway, the top 45 ranked teams are included in Fifa 200#.

Either way, I would definately put my sig there. You could probably even find players who would put their signature on it.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Canada will be in the game, just like it's been in every version since 2001... you'll have to download the Canada Super Patch 2005 at FIFA CONCACAF to get it~! (www.fifaconcacaf.com).

I've been toying with the idea of doing a Canada league patch again this year as well... but we'll have to see how much free time I have first.

[:o)]

Thanks. I should have directed my comments towards the console versions. My apologies.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

theglove0 - How do you like World Tour Soccer after having played Winning Eleven? I've never played it, but read decent reviews.

If you're use to playing WE a lot, then WTS will seem not nearly as good. I started playing WTS first and thought it was a good game, but once I got WE, I hardly played WTS anymore. The game-play in WE is still far superior. I think WTS is only worth it if you can get it for cheap, and you enjoy playing with teams that aren't in WE. It does have a huge amount of teams and players.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I prefer the Winning Eleven series of games, so I haven't played much FIFA since the '98 version. WE6 and WE7 don't have Canada in the game, which is most certainly frustrating.

The closest I`ve been to Canada in WE was when a version came out with Anderlecht...and of course the RAD man was just unstoppable!!!...

Guest HamiltonSteelers

If it wasn't for my compelling desire to make Yeovil Town "Canada's team" in FIFA 2004, I would probably have stopped by now. The AI is fairly fractured, and when Winning Eleven gets the North America XBOX treatment (it's in Europe), I'll be there to figure out all the fuss.

youllneverwalkalone, see if your friend can fix the repeated saving of files after games. Teams I've defeated with my profile doesn't show up in my jersey collection, and that frustrates the hell out of me, and that's the tip of the iceberg... sorry, I've had this rant in me for a few months now.

Canada NEEDS to be in there... mainly since I can't afford to buy Radz from Everton, and I'm out of money for Pesch.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

If it wasn't for my compelling desire to make Yeovil Town "Canada's team" in FIFA 2004, I would probably have stopped by now. The AI is fairly fractured, and when Winning Eleven gets the North America XBOX treatment (it's in Europe), I'll be there to figure out all the fuss.

youllneverwalkalone, see if your friend can fix the repeated saving of files after games. Teams I've defeated with my profile doesn't show up in my jersey collection, and that frustrates the hell out of me, and that's the tip of the iceberg... sorry, I've had this rant in me for a few months now.

Canada NEEDS to be in there... mainly since I can't afford to buy Radz from Everton, and I'm out of money for Pesch.

I think some people were fired after 2004. And Everton were definitely unrealistically stingy with Radzinski. I hear 2005 is much improved, although I liked the 2004 gameplay. I know what you mean about the many bugs. As per the above comment about the Canada patch, I think PC players get a good game because they are more likely to complain. From the sounds of this board, maybe WE eating their lunch will ultimately send a more concise message...

Fifa 2005 looks great so far, with the gameplay and all. I've played the DEMO many many many times at university; just sitting there playing the game until as soon as its released, I can play in the highest level. :) In this version, its much more realistic, like more defelections, fouls, pushing the ball past players to beat them. I really find that I can get the ball to my winger (Pires in this case) and be a handful for the entire game. I found in the other FIFA versions, players could not beat players, there were barely any fouls (from the comp fouling your player), and little things like that.

Also, it is much harder to score... seems like in FIFA 2004 it was kinda too easy sometimes (just taking a shot from 20 yards with a good midfielder on striker would always reach the back of the net).

And for the issue of Canada not being in the game; it really sucks! I normally enter a country tournament and just make my own Canada team. For instance, I'd make Chicago Fire as Canada, mainly because of the colours. But in Fifa 2003 I downloaded the Canada patch made by strobe_z and it was awesome!

I have been informed that the French associate producer of the console game in question has laughed heartly at the idea of including the MNT in 2005, 2006, or any other version. He laughed uncontrollably at the idea of including A-League clubs. I guess all you guys playing WE have made the right choice...

I did want to ask any fans of Championship Manager, if anyone knows if Canada will be fully up-to-date? I've only played last year's demo and it seemed to include a reasonable number of players...

Archived