Sportsnet Commercials

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realize the station is called Rogers Sportsnet. CTV had to divest all its interest in the station when their parent company bought TSN (or something like that).

Why the hell would Manure and Liverpool give a rat's ass if the games have comercials? It's not like Sportsnet shows them live anyways. Aren't the games on a 10 minute delay for the 1st 2 games, and a half hour for the third game?

You should be complaining to Sportsnet and their sponsor's.

Well thank you for the info. , it was news to me. I have complained vehemently many, many times to Sportsnet. I do think if the word is put out re. Canada's "Mickey Mouse" treatment of showing soccer, then something will be done. If you look at my past postings, you will see that one of the Molson's owners actually phoned me at home AND gave me his home number, CONCACAF, UEFA and FIFA have all replied over the years, decrying Canada's attitude to soccer, ironically the CSA have NEVER even replied!!!!. Several soccer Federations have also expressed their thoughts, once again AGAINST Canada. What do YOU think should be done, do it the Canadian way--and put up with it? I don't merely complain, and I certainly don't just sit there and do NOTHING. Write to world press in various countries---"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword". p.s. I once wrote Brian Burke, of the Canucks, on a hockey matter, and he too phoned me at my house, and that's the truth.

Wow! A thread goes this long because Sportsnet shows a couple of commercials during EPL matches. Some people here really need to get our of their sh*te town that they live in a little more often and they might be able to observe some of the following facts:

- Did you know there are at least twice as many EPL games on free-TV in Canada than La Liga games on free TV in Spain</u>?

- Did you know that if you wanted to see any Dutch Eredivisie matches in Holland</u> you have to subscribe to a channel that costs $30 per month?

- In fact, there are more EPL games available in Canada than any country in Europe that I'm aware of, with the exception of the U.K.

If coverage of int'l soccer games in Canada sucks, its because they're one of the few countries who don't show La Liga - the best league in the World (by far). How can you complain about EPL coverage?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

If coverage of int'l soccer games in Canada sucks, its because they're one of the few countries who don't show La Liga - the best league in the World (by far).

We do get Spanish games, one per week on Sportsnet, though you need digital cable to be sure to see it every week.

quote:the best league in the World (by far).
There's no way that there's a big gap between England, Italy and Spain (and even if there's a gap between these and others, like Germany and France, I don't think that gap is nearly as big as most people seem to think it is). Everyone is going to enjoy a particular league more than the others based on their own situation (eg. for me it's Italy). The only thing that bugs me is when people will watch only one league and not give anything else a chance (or worse, take shots at other leagues despite not watching them).

I watched the Honduras game today, but HEY sportsnet , where were the 8 commercials that you are now introducing during EPL matches? Boy, I really missed those CANADIAN type stoppages that allow me to leave the TV when I can't take the pressure anymore!!! I couldn't take a "jimmy riddle", fetch a beer, grab some chips etc. I think I should complain to the CSA, 'cos all those CANADIAN fans will miss those hockey-type breaks. I sure never realised just how much of a tradition would already be established on CANADIAN TV. C'mon SPORTSNET, bring back the "Hockey-Breaks", we fans miss 'em!!!!!!!Are you listening, Mr. Pipe?

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I watched the Honduras game today, but HEY sportsnet , where were the 8 commercials that you are now introducing during EPL matches? Boy, I really missed those CANADIAN type stoppages that allow me to leave the TV when I can't take the pressure anymore!!! I couldn't take a "jimmy riddle", fetch a beer, grab some chips etc. I think I should complain to the CSA, 'cos all those CANADIAN fans will miss those hockey-type breaks. I sure never realised just how much of a tradition would already be established on CANADIAN TV. C'mon SPORTSNET, bring back the "Hockey-Breaks", we fans miss 'em!!!!!!!Are you listening, Mr. Pipe?

Will ya knock it off. They're ads on tape delay games . Ya don't miss nuthin' . Maybe we should pay a radio tax so there'll be no ads , 13% of what I spend and 40% of what I earn ain't enuff . gotta pay for cable too so tax me as well so I don't get run to the can and miss the " INDEPENDANT POCKET COILS" ads . How the heck do you expect broadcasters to make any revenue with-out ads . Get over it !

well the media sure have you in their pockets!!I just knew that this country would sit back and accept this crap. Go to Oz, watch soccer on TV there, there are NO ads during the games, the game is shown as it is meant to be shown. I have previously contacted some companies here, that advertise during soccer matches, BUT they told me they would prefer their ads to be shown before and after the start, and at half-time of a game.If it doesn't bother you Canadians, why the hell don't they do the same at ice-hockey, and run ads along the bottom of the screen at the same time?

well the media sure have you in their pockets!!I just knew that this country would sit back and accept this crap. Go to Oz, watch soccer on TV there, there are NO ads during the games, the game is shown as it is meant to be shown. I have previously contacted some companies here, that advertise during soccer matches, BUT they told me they would prefer their ads to be shown before and after the start, and at half-time of a game.If it doesn't bother you Canadians, why the hell don't they do the same at ice-hockey, and run ads along the bottom of the screen at the same time?

Let's see if I got this....Oz is perfect and with the " you Canadians " tag . You don't consider yourself Canadian . But a few ads on delay broadcast games have you all in a tiff in Canada......

Well stop watching the games & you obviously have access to the 'net , so catch the scores of the games and follow the standings of the leagues or your favourite team on the 'net.

After all that's what we Canadians have done for years. Thus lowering your blood pressure .

Oz did you click the heels of your red shoes to leave ......or do you mean the country Australia ...after all I'm just a Maritimer , I may not understand how things are done in the big outside world.;)

Hey I thought about this alot . Do any of us "you Canadians" want to join in a big ALL CANADIAN and tell this guy to : KISS THE ONE-EYED BED SNAKE .

The big elitist soccer snob dweeb.

Sorry if I ain't some coperate tody who sends you form letters hoping you'll shut the eff up.

TO ARGH 1 You are too right mate, I'm not a Canadian, I'm a foreigner living in a foreign country-do you have a problem with that? I've lived in several countries, and know that here in Canada , soccer receives so little respect from the pathetic media, and fans such as yourself are of little help. You guys wonder why you are so appalling at soccer on an international basis... BECAUSE it is run incorrectly,coached incorrectly, reported on incorrectly, commentated on incorrectly, ( Gerry Dobson is a disaster!!!) shown on TV incorrectly, printed incorrectly, supported incorrectly---and the proof is in the bottom line--Canada SUCKS at soccer--argue with that.

TO ARGH 1 You are too right mate, I'm not a Canadian, I'm a foreigner living in a foreign country-do you have a problem with that? I've lived in several countries, and know that here in Canada , soccer receives so little respect from the pathetic media, and fans such as yourself are of little help. You guys wonder why you are so appalling at soccer on an international basis... BECAUSE it is run incorrectly,coached incorrectly, reported on incorrectly, commentated on incorrectly, ( Gerry Dobson is a disaster!!!) shown on TV incorrectly, printed incorrectly, supported incorrectly---and the proof is in the bottom line--Canada SUCKS at soccer--argue with that.

Hey buddy. My vehement attack was over the line for which I am embarrased. But pal , it's kinda like I may call my sister a cow but don't you ever say it !

Let's shake paws and get over it. Welcome to the board . I'll back off now and leave this thread alone . But please respect that we Canadians may not be overtly patriotic but we (I) react strongly to outsiders telling us how to do things . You'll have a better experience on this board if you quit telling us "it's better elsewhere" .

I return you to your rant [:o)]

Hi again, I realise that It is wrong to belabour this subject, and I intend to try to summarise my thoughts, but as for the commercials , that is something that I will never quit fighting. I do wish to make some observations though. I honestly believe that the Canadian pschyche is so delicately fragile, due in part to never have expenced success at a wide range of fields ,especially sport. In both Australia and Englsnd anyone ,including foreigners are allowed, maybe even expected, to voice their honst opinions. My point in a previous memo was exactly the same as your "sister quote". Here in BC, it rains a lot, 88 inches in Abbotsford last year I believe, they're facts, BUT Jack Nicholson ( and David Duchovny)(aid, "It rains too much in Vancouver"---- whoa Jack , ( and David Duchovny) we know that, we agree, BUT you're not allowed to say it. Tell someone in Manchester it rains too much--they will agree instantly!!!!! I won't comment on your sister, I don't know her, but you must admit Canadians do not want to be told , and maybe face up to,the truth--and until they do , they will in this particular instance NEVER do well at soccer-and as the Late Great Johnny Cash said " That's The Truth"

I can't defend elricko for his retarded comments on the Canadian psyche, but he is right about the commercials. I tried watching the late game on Sportsnet today and its hard to watch soccer with commercials when you are use to continuous halves. This is comming from a person with a short attention span.

But it was nice to watch the Serie A this afternoon commercial free, now, if they can only fix the audio, everything would be fine.

Look if I had my druthers .......no ads ever. I hate them . But considering the soccer coverage we have in Canada . EPL , La Liga ,Le Championnant , Champions League & ( hopefully again ) UEFA CUP as well as MNT & WNT all on my basic cable. Compared to what was available even 10 years ago say. I can live with a few ads for EPL on Saturdays . It's not like I have time to watch more than 1 or 2 games a week anyways .

But look on the up-side advertisers want to be associated with soccer in Canada . Isn't that a pleasant change in itself ? So I can't watch the out-of-bounds guys toss balls around for goal kicks or throw ins . I will live with it knowing soccer is more of a media sport in Canada now than it ever was .

EDIT :

I forgot Gold Cup , World Cup , Euro Cup & African Nations Cup also has been available on my basic cable .

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Get a grip, guys. I've watched all 7 matches so far on Sportsnet, and it's obvious that they pause the action when they go to commercial. If you've noticed, they do it mostly during goal kicks. Ball goes out of bounds - quick cut to commercial - come back from commercial to keeper taking the goal kick.

Slightly annoying, but we get the extra game!

And for the record, I don't recall FSWC showing an early Saturday match, ever.

What sunday matches? As far as i know FSWC isnt showing them this season, they simply arent willing to shell out the money for it. I remember watching 6 games a week last year...we are down to 2 now on saturday morning only.

• 1 month later...

I noticed last week that these f****** ads on Sportsnet were lengthened just a tad, and the TV station also missed a Man. utd. free kick situation. I cannot believe people are so naive here , just wait until the future, if those bastards at ROGERS get their way there will be ads every few minutes, and they will fit the soccer in between. I used to watch much TV tennis , but so many points are missed due to ads, it turned me right off, so that's when I turned the TV off. I'm sure FIFA loves how Canadian TV companies promote their beloved soccer, I know for a fact that CONCACAF are displeased with how it is shown.

Archived