Sportsnet Commercials

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, the fans take a backseat to money....

Commercials are here to stay.

====

"First off, thank-you kindly for tuning in to our English Premier League broadcasts here on Sportsnet. As you may have noticed this year, we have increased our soccer coverage substantially. In order to accomplish this however, our sales department has had to come up with ways of increasing our revenue streams, and obviously increasing the amount of commercials is the best way for us to do so. As a lifelong fan of the sport I too realize that commercials do interrupt the way we watch our beloved sport, however in order to allow us to bring our viewers more and more of the game, it will unfortunately become a regular occurrence. The difference between soccer and other sports here in North America is that baseball, football, and hockey, to name just a few, all have natural breaks. With this in mind, however, I'm sure either yourself, a friend, or colleague has mentioned how he or she has been sitting a hockey game during a stoppage in play, noticing a lengthy delay before a return to action. This once again can be blamed on t.v. timeouts. While they may come across to the viewer as more natural in these other sports, they still do cause a delay in the game, and it's not something that will change any time in the near future as sporting events become more and more expensive to produce (the added camera angles, quality of shots, and sound, etc.) Having done my best to explain this, I hope you'll take the information into consideration and continue to join us here at Sportsnet once again this Saturday for our continuing coverage of one of the top sporting leagues in the world."

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Was anyone else just slightly annoyed by the new Sportsnet format for broadcatsing commercials-a straight cut to a full-screen commercial away from the match? Pathetic and amateurish.

I am not slightly annoyed, I AM LIVED. I just wrote to Sportsnet, a guy named Greg Zsele replied, said the ads are here to stay! I have written to many Brit newspapers already today. Everybody out there, please tell everybody just how Canada treats "The World's Beautiful Game" Elricko

That response I posted was the generic Greg Szele response.

And you want to know why the split-screen isn't used anymore?

Yup, you guessed it-money.

Screw the fans, blow the sponsors.

==========

From Jim at Sportsnet:

"The reason we are not doing the split screen option is simply that we can charge advertisers more for full screen commercials as opposed to the other way. This generates the revenue we need to afford to air three games every Saturday instead of two."

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Is Sportsnet showing La Liga this season again?

RSN schedule is showing two La Liga games 1 Aug 29th & 1 Sept 12 teams TBA but only on Pacific

Surprised to see UEFA SUPER CUP on the schedule Aug 27 all regions 3:30 pm Atlantic

I don't like commercials obviously, but if it was a trade-off between 3 matches on Saturday with commercials or 2 matches without, I think I'd take the former. Even if it just ends up being a single match during the season that I wake up that early for...

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I don't like commercials obviously, but if it was a trade-off between 3 matches on Saturday with commercials or 2 matches without, I think I'd take the former. Even if it just ends up being a single match during the season that I wake up that early for...

But you were always gonna get 3 games on Saturday anyway. FSWC would have done the 7:30am match happily if Sportsnet chose not to. Nothing was gained here.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

But you were always gonna get 3 games on Saturday anyway. FSWC would have done the 7:30am match happily if Sportsnet chose not to. Nothing was gained here.

Oh, that changes things. But isn't it due to FSWC (Global) being cheap that we lost the second Sunday EPL match?

Did FSWC show an early Saturday match last season?

Get a grip, guys. I've watched all 7 matches so far on Sportsnet, and it's obvious that they pause the action when they go to commercial. If you've noticed, they do it mostly during goal kicks. Ball goes out of bounds - quick cut to commercial - come back from commercial to keeper taking the goal kick.

Slightly annoying, but we get the extra game!

And for the record, I don't recall FSWC showing an early Saturday match, ever.

IF we have to accept these commercials now, it WILL get worse in the future. For those of us who have watched uninterrupted soccer, these ads are NOT acceptable. I have written literally hundreds of letters on this subject, dating back to 1998, and way beyond that. When I first came to Canada in 1974 , the only match shown all year was the FA Cup Final on CBC, and they interrupted play EVERY 5 minutes with a 1 minute ad--I still have the reply to my complaint from then. How come TSN now show all Euro .Champions League matches, EURO 2004 matches, and World CUp games , completelly ad-free, not even split-screens , because people such as myself have kept complaining. I have written to UEFA in Berne so many times , and they DO reply, and ask me to KEEP writing around the world. I had a letter of sympathy from CONCACAF AND the Brazilian Football Federation. Now I know Canadians like to sit back and not complain, well , I don't like keep on complaining either, BUT someone has to do something!!! Sportsnet's toll-free number is 1-877-288-7767, keep pestering these people. I wrote to at least 6 Brit papers yesterday, informing them of what we have to contend with here in Canada, I shall write to many more. The" Sunday Times" did reply to me years ago, a long letter from their sports correspondent. DO something about this,phone radio stations, I called CKNW last Sunday night, and whine and whined, maybe you heard me? Write letters, tell them "Keep TV Soccer Ad-Free". Boycott the advertisers, i contacted Worldsoccer.com once--they DID reply to me--with much sympathy--told me it was the TV stations that decided when ads show. DO SOMETHING--PLEASE!!!! Elricko

Wowzers .......some folk are getting a wee bit upset over this .

If there are no ads when would I go empty that last pint.

This is Canada .......ads pay for the broadcast ......no ads no broadcast. We should be used to it by now.

Or .....shock horror ....... is this some soccer snob thing . "That's not the way we do it in the old country "

Watch the games enjoy ...go to the fridge for a refill when the ads are on. When you miss a goal or something important start a bitchin'

We all know not every minute of every game keeps us glued.

Besides this is the EPL ......YAWN ......ARSENAL , MAN U , CHELSEA , NEWCASTLE , LIVERPOOL and lets find some more teams so we can have a league .

Can the third game and show me LEEDS ,QUEENS PARK RANGERS ,SHEFFIELD U & WOLVES . Tier 2 is much more fun :D

You know I used to take my 3 sons to see the Vancouver Canucks ( goons-on-ice--but that's another story!). Now as Canadians know, a hockey game is 60 minutes in length , actually it's 3 20 minute periods, with 15 minute breaks in between, but due to innumerable stoppages ( including too many TV commercial breaks!!), the whole thing lasts approx. 2 1\2 to 3 hours, and I'm quite sure I've never ever seen a game start on time. I could not believe how many fans went to get food and drink about 5 minutes before a break, and not get back to their seats some 10 minutes into the next period, thereby missing much of the play.Also many fans would be up and gone from the game, and leave the building during the last 10 minutes. My point being that Canadians are such a take-it-or-leave-it, we're here for the evening out, we don't care who wins,it's only sport , it's not that important type of fans. I have been to hundreds of football matches back in England, watched mainly Gillingham, Chelsea and Nottingham Forest, and my friends and I NEVER left a game early, and tried to get food and drinks--during the half-time interval. There's no true committment from Canadians,no real passion to their sports, it's quite sad really, it starts at school level, where too much competition is frowned upon. Healthy competition breeds winners in all aspects of life--and that's why the Yanks are so good at everything they do, and you can throw in the Aussies there too ( I lived in Oz, and do know their lifestyle). Sure you can sit back and tolerate the commercials, Canadians do that, sit back and do nothing. I just wonder what would happen if TV stations introduced full-screen ads during soccer games in England- I know something, the fans would NOT put up with it!!!!! Elricko

quote:There's no true committment from Canadians,no real passion to their sports, it's quite sad really

Thats funny I saw a lot of commitment from Canadians at the WCQ last week at Swangard, especially those that travelled across the country to attend (and we aren't talking about some puny country like England) and I see lots of passion from southsiders at Whitecaps games.

Typical response for a guy who watched it on TV. The crowd microphones were situated in the end zones, and near the 18 yard boxes, which is where the cheaper seats were, hence crowds of Guatemalans were closest to the microphones. Had you been at the game the game you would not say that the Guatemalans were louder.

But they, keep up the arrogant attitude in regards to Canadians. At least we made it to the game and we were loud. Gotta love arrogant immigrants. Keep writing to those Brit newspapers though. I'm sure that will help change things in Canada.

Archived