Sportsnet Commercials

Loud Mouth Soup

I have been to almost every WCQ match at Swanguard, in fact I believe last weeks match was the first I've missed , and I've yet to hear Canadians out-shout the opposition!! I've been to hockey games in Edmonton and Vancouver-where the crowds are soooo quiet at times. I've been to most EPL grounds, Wembley many times, I've been in a 130,000 crowd at the Bernebeu in Madrid, can you imagine that noise?. Have you ever experienced a real crowd and real fans?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding WCQ at Swangard, last Wednesdays game was the first time a concerted effort was made to get a supporters group together for a WCQ, so there was more noise than at any other WCQ held there. We had the cops and Security hassling us (telling us to sit down and shut up, roughing us up), the Guatemalans didn't.

Have I experienced real crowd and fans? Another arrogant comment. Now you are saying that fans in Canada aren't real. Sorry the largest crowd I was ever in was a Canadian one, there was only 50,000 at the game. But of course thats Canadian and doesn't count. Also been to a few sellouts at old Empire stadium but once again they don't count either.

You'd figure that if a person came to Canada in 1974 they'd stop being so "Canadians are like this-I'm like that, Canadians are inferior". I came to this country from England in 1969, and you know what? I don't harp on how great England is, because if it was, my family would't have left in the first place.

Well that is exactly my point, that" Canadians are like this" and many others are "like that" at SPORT, and that is the surely the difference of opinion here. I live here bacause I have a great life here and Canadians are so great in so many ways, BUT not at sport!!!

Is there nobody else out just slightly annoyed about ads in TV soccer, I don't want it to be like England, I want to see a media promoted Canadian soccer league, see the media promote Canadian soccer players, hear all the youngsters want to be Jason De Vos when they grow up. Don't let the media control the world's number ONE sport. I want to see kids watch Canadian soccer ad-free on Tv. Tell me all you young mums and Dads , would you rather your kids play in a violent media-hyped sport, where they could be clubbed a la Bertuzzi,or play soccer? Look at the immense growth of TV soccer in the past 10 years, incredible compared to the previous 30 years before that. BUT there is much resentment by the old guard, they want their oh-so-violent hockey to remain No. 1. Look at the hockey and soccer kids registrations of today, compared to 30 years ago-hockey is declining. My 3 sons, all fairly big , played soccer, their Mum did not want them playing such a violent sport as hockey, and as a Brit of couse I was pleased, and coached some 15 years. BUT at soccer practises, what did th e kids talk about, the canucks, who Bertuzzi hit this week, etc,etc. Well surely we want them to talk soccer. BALME THE MEDIA. Get the media to promote soccer. KEEP TV SOCCER AD-FREE!!

i say, if they MUST show commercials to show an extra game, why not make the extra game on involving one of our 5 a-league teams? or if they play each other show an all-canadian a-league match instead of a third epl match. all a-league matches are on radio, so just use those announcers? having full-screen commercials is a joke tho.

I can't count the number of times I've seen fans leave Premiership matches before the final whistle. I also can't count the number of times I've heard local fans bicker on about it. Heck, it's apparently become such a frequent sight that there's a song about it! "We can see you sneaking out..." Ring a bell?

Same goes with the noise. I suppose Highbury is called the Library because Arsenal fans are enthusiastic about reading.

Different sporting cultures, for sure, but as far as pure passion goes, I'm comfortable with the way Hockey's stature in Canada stands up to any other sport anywhere else in the world.

quote:Originally posted by elricko

BUT at soccer practises, what did th e kids talk about, the canucks, who Bertuzzi hit this week, etc,etc. Well surely we want them to talk soccer. BALME THE MEDIA. Get the media to promote soccer. KEEP TV SOCCER AD-FREE!!

I see how it is. When it concerns the aulde country, the people's passion for sport is 100% sincere - the product of passionate souls, working class roots, and everything else that can be dredged up out of a Kevin Sampson novel.

But when Canadians show passion and interest in something...well, there's only one explanation - the media, of course! (duh!)We're so gullible, us Canadians. It's a product of our take-it-or-leave-it mentality, don't cha know...

Well you know, you Canadians are so thin -skinned,and just HATE any sort of criticism, I believe we received 88 inches of rain in Abbotsford last year,some 59 inches in Vancouver, but if Jack Nicholson or David Duchovny complains that it rains a lot here--well look out, there will be Canadians coming out of the woodwork defending the climate. I came from England , and no, everything is not much better over there, the service in stores , and the hospitality industry is far better in Canada ( of course that's a generalisation), and I could name many things that need improvement in the "aulde" country. BUT at sport , Canada can only improve, just look at our latest absolutely pathetic Olympic efforts. I was actually talking over soccer tonight with an ex Canadian international soccer player, and he said that Canada does just about everything wrong when it comes to success at soccer on the fields, and he played under Tony Waiters, Holger O., Bob L. No wonder this country stagnates at sport, you won't take objective criticism. Why do you think the famous Alex Beauman moved to Australia to live , and coach? You will NEVER get anywhere sticking to your parochial sport of hockey , your narrow little worlds and 17,000 crowds. You have to look at changes, at progress, at new ways, new sports--otherwise Canada will remain where we are now in the realm of world sports --the doldrums!!

I did take your objective criticism. I read it, I looked it over, I considered it, and then I objectively concluded that it held nothing of value. :)

Canada is a Hockey mad nation - much like England is soccer mad. But I don't see how this has anything to do with the sorry state of Canadian sport. Is the comparative obsession with soccer in Britain, both in the media and in the general public, any lesser than that of Hockey in Canada? If not, then what explains the supposed success that general sport has experienced in Britain?

Could it be that the obsession Canadians have with Hockey in this country has no effect on how other sports fare? The attitude you bring forward suggests that Brits still haven't gotten over their bout of colonial elitism - civilize the heatens and all that. You can't tolerate the fact that Canadians have chosen Hockey as their sport of choice. I mean, what kind of underdeveloped nation follows a primitive, violent sport like Hockey? What with it's pathetic 17,000 crowds! Pfffft! Do you feel it's your duty to move here and teach us the virtues of the beautifull game of football? Bring us primitive Canadians up to date, and all? And God-forbid one of us actually counter your assertion, that of the great, enlightened Brit. The only explanation must be that we're just afraid of criticism, afriad of change!

You're quite right, Canada is not a sporting nation. It's a Hockey nation. But the two are not necessarilly the keys to some kind of cause-and-effect answer. The CFL in certain regions of Canada is just as big as Hockey. Lacrosse is a booming success in this country. Baseball at one point was the toast of the town here in Toronto. The Toronto Raptors for quite some time were among the leaders in home attendance.

What happened? Did Hockey get scared and tighten its hegemonic grip on the Canadian sports scene? Or maybe it's just a sign of the times... Canadians (and I'll admit, especially in Ontario, at least it seems...) can be rather trendy souls, and are very much "take-it-or-leave-it". But it should be said that Canadians are open to other sports, and there is potential for success in other areas other than Hockey. But still it remains that Canadians, when it comes to unconditional, die-hard loyalty, are very much limited to Hockey. Nonetheless, there are examples of other sports finding success which suggests that Hockey, and its position in Canadian society/media/etc., has no effect on how other sports fare. It's simply in the Canadian sporting to culture to be luke-warm to almost anything that isn't Hockey.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

They're annoying but at least they seem to be using some sort of delay on the match as I haven't noticed any missing action as a result of the commercials. I can live with it if it means more top qaulity footy on (sorta) free TV.

Mike.

re your reply from greg at sports net I recieved the same generic reply. what we need is an oraganised petition to the addvertisers telling them we will boycott their productsif sports net continues this practice.Thay will responed to threats to their addvertising revenue, no other provider inserts adds why should they.If we lay down they will walk over us

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

That response I posted was the generic Greg Szele response.

And you want to know why the split-screen isn't used anymore?

Yup, you guessed it-money.

Screw the fans, blow the sponsors.

==========

From Jim at Sportsnet:

"The reason we are not doing the split screen option is simply that we can charge advertisers more for full screen commercials as opposed to the other way. This generates the revenue we need to afford to air three games every Saturday instead of two."

give Canada the GOLD for shopping, because that's what they are really world -class at!!!! I will explain my reasoning at a later date, but go to Wal-Mart on a SUnday afternoon, that's where you will find the average Canadians, they are not hiking, playing tennis, bowls, running, etc, etc. Canada should get the GOLD FOR SHOPPING!!!!!!

give Canada the GOLD for shopping, because that's what they are really world -class at!!!! I will explain my reasoning at a later date, but go to Wal-Mart on a SUnday afternoon, that's where you will find the average Canadians, they are not hiking, playing tennis, bowls, running, etc, etc. Canada should get the GOLD FOR SHOPPING!!!!!!

But I thought the Cascadian culture embraced outdoor activity? :D

You are right, of course, we do live in a very materialistic society. But I doubt we match up to the consumerist standards set by the States, the most obese, inactive nation on Earth.

But you still haven't explained what any of this has to do with Hockey...

Yeah, and people in England aren't materialistic and consumerisitc either. You could put a pile of dog turd on stage in a huge soccer stadium in England, put a tiny little shirt with a name brand logo on it, and pump in some mindless music. If the media tells them that this is the hottest new thing you'll get 75,000 showing up to watch.

Well at least my comments create some passion, rather crudely stated , but maybe that passion can be directed in a constructive manner . I would like to add ,that I contacted "Nikon Canada " today re, their TV commercials, shown during CTV Sportsnet EPL matches, and intend to contact several other companies.

Well Jayway, At least the Americans do have a large contingent of athletes that are phenominally successful in so many sports, as do in particular, Australia, how about swimming, golf,tennis,running athletics to name a few. I lived in Australia for several years, in Bunbury ,a small town of approx. 30,000 in W.A.I was a runner in those days , and entered a 10 km. race in Bunbury in 1986. There were over 400 race entries, and literally hundreds of volounteers and spectators. I returned to Canada in 1988, ran a 5km race in Abbotsford, there were 32 entries and very few spectators!!!!!! Now that's not an English anecdote. I hike each Sunday with a small group of 4-12 hikers, enjoying the wonderful scenary and outdoors here,BUt if you want to see real crowds go to Wal-Mart , any Wal-Mart in the lower mainland on a Sunday arvo--there will be thousands sof compulsive shoppers.

Well Jayway, At least the Americans do have a large contingent of athletes that are phenominally successful in so many sports, as do in particular, Australia, how about swimming, golf,tennis,running athletics to name a few. I lived in Australia for several years, in Bunbury ,a small town of approx. 30,000 in W.A.I was a runner in those days , and entered a 10 km. race in Bunbury in 1986. There were over 400 race entries, and literally hundreds of volounteers and spectators. I returned to Canada in 1988, ran a 5km race in Abbotsford, there were 32 entries and very few spectators!!!!!! Now that's not an English anecdote. I hike each Sunday with a small group of 4-12 hikers, enjoying the wonderful scenary and outdoors here,BUt if you want to see real crowds go to Wal-Mart , any Wal-Mart in the lower mainland on a Sunday arvo--there will be thousands sof compulsive shoppers.

The Americans are successful, but then they should be, they have a lot going for them. Their athletic prowess is really more a result of factors outside of the American sporting culture and lifestyle. Their massive population, their booming economy, and as far as the olympics go, a corrupt olympic committee (drugs and commercial sway play a big part) are all a large part of the equation.

As far as Austrailia, goes, there's no doubt they deserve a lot of credit. But then, I don't think it was that long ago that the Aussie's were in the same position we are in now. If anything, Australia should be taken as proof that things can get better and that we are not stuck in the same rut we currently find outselves in.

Canada's pathetic performance at the Olympics, and it's poor showing at world sports are all tied together due largely to the lack of passion re. sports, the apathy of Canadians in regard to winning, and it's sole interest in violence-on ice-hockey. My Mum in England who is 84, and NOT sports oriented, still listens to the radio broadcast of Gillingham Football Club, and watches the England soccer games , and this is out of choice. Most Canadians don't even know when particular national teams are even participating, let alone individuals. Paula Radcliffe is a household name in England , and rightly so, being the fastest woman in marathon history, Ian Thorpe is a legend in Australia. Go to a mall and question the average Canadian re. it's top athletes at track and field, tennis etc, the average Canadian could not even name a tennis player! You know one of the best things to happen to Canada for sports has been Mike Weir-because the narrow minded media, with all the narrow minded masses, all of a sudden had to discuss something other than hockey-just maybe this will help produce another golfer who can actually WIN!!! You can't live in the past,regarding Toronto winning the world series, WORLD series!!!What a joke-at least 32 countries compete in the World Cup at soccer. Canada's other baseball team is moving -bye Montreal--hullo USA. Two hockey teams have moved to the States, along with Wayne Gretzky, Michael J. Fox, Paul Anka--along with who's next---Oh yes Hudson's Bay Company is being Target-ed! Canada has only one connection with the word competition--they both start with the letter "C".

Ian Thorpe and Paula Radcliffe in Britain are both of the stature of Donavin Bailey in Canada - sporting Gods. So what's your point?

My mother, also a foreigner to sports, watches the Leafs in the playoffs. But again, I don't see what this proves. Hockey in Canada is the eqivilant of football in Britain - both national pasttimes. When you're mother, and every casual sports fan in England, starts following artistic gymanstics on a regular basis, then talk to me.

Canadians don't know their tennis players? That wouldn't surprise me, we don't really have many. But I still question the legitimacy of your claim since I think you're going on a hunch rather than experience.

it's pretty apparent you're willing to just discount any sport that Canada does embrace, this in order to suit your argument. We don't support tennis (even though both Canadian tournaments see good annual turn outs), well we don't have any tennis stars. We didn't support Golf? We had no one to follow. Now that we do, you see the results. You shun Hockey and Baseball (you still haven't explained that one...) since they don't fit into your narrow definition of what sports are acceptabe. So much for that...

What about Boxing? Canada's reputation as a Boxing hotbed is undenied. Montreal consistently sold out the Molson Centre to watch Eric Lucas. English Canada showed Billy the Kid Irwin, who wasn't even a champion(!), incredible support during his career. He was a sporting icon during his time.

What about Lacrosse? Doesn't that consistently sell out the ACC?

Ian Thorpe and Paula Radcliffe in Britain are both of the stature of Donavin Bailey in Canada - sporting Gods. So what's your point?

My mother, also a foreigner to sports, watches the Leafs in the playoffs. But again, I don't see what this proves. Hockey in Canada is the eqivilant of football in Britain - both national pasttimes. When you're mother, and every casual sports fan in England, starts following artistic gymanstics on a regular basis, then talk to me.

Canadians don't know their tennis players? That wouldn't surprise me, we don't really have many. But I still question the legitimacy of your claim since I think you're going on a hunch rather than experience.

it's pretty apparent you're willing to just discount any sport that Canada does embrace, this in order to suit your argument. We don't support tennis (even though both Canadian tournaments see good annual turn outs), well we don't have any tennis stars. We didn't support Golf? We had no one to follow. Now that we do, you see the results. You shun Hockey and Baseball (you still haven't explained that one...) since they don't fit into your narrow definition of what sports are acceptabe. So much for that...

What about Boxing? Canada's reputation as a Boxing hotbed is undenied. Montreal consistently sold out the Molson Centre to watch Eric Lucas. English Canada showed Billy the Kid Irwin, who wasn't even a champion(!), incredible support during his career. He was a sporting icon during his time.

What about Lacrosse? Doesn't that consistently sell out the ACC?

Ask the avearage Canadian "who is Donovan Bailey?"- there will be many who don't know, and you're talking of a few years back now too.. You make a very good point , your Mother watches the Leafs in the play-offs, and that's when many so-called hockey fans watch their team now--onlyin the play-offs , they don't follow them in the regular season , like they used to in the past. You know I was whining, writing letters, and bitching like this exactly 30 years ago, when I arrived in Edmonton , and there was zilch soccer on TV in those days, or in the press. Well, I think the proof is in the pudding, because Canada and it's rotten sports media, (particularly BRIAN HALL , a most obnoxious man) have been forced to gradually accept that soccer is rising, probably will emerge, quite rightly, as the number one sport, hockey has been declining, slowly, but still declining, and Canada must join the rest of the world---and I believe the true blue Canucks resent these changes.If, as you suggest, that the sports fans here are only able to be truly passionate about one sport , then I guess soccer's time is coming--especially for those Jets and Nordiques fans eh?

Well, I think the proof is in the pudding, because Canada and it's rotten sports media, (particularly BRIAN HALL , a most obnoxious man)

What does a FIFA referee have to do with all of this?

quote:hockey has been declining

Are you kidding me? You lose all credibility with this one sentence.

While other sports may be gaining in popularity in Canada, it most definitely IS NOT at the expense of hockey, nor should it be.

Ok. as if I didn't know this would have come up. I know most are not happy with Sportsnet's decision to inject 30 sec commercials into the game. I'm not happy about it, and I could see the rest of the world laughing at Canada concerning this. As negative as this is to me concerning coverage, the only real "beef" I have is that I can't watch a full uninterrupted 90 min game of football on tv, something that I've grown up doing. Yes It's unfortunate and yes it may take away from the game a bit, but let's remember this....................This isn't Europe, nor is it Asia or South America....This is Canada and North America where soccer (note I didn't say football) is still a baby among other sports. I don't think Sportsnet wanted to do this because they knew how many complaints they could and probably would get. But they need to make $ also. It can't hurt that much to watch a game for another 5 mins or so barring the number of commercials per game.

Next point.....this may actually have a positive effect on the game on this side of the atlantic. Ok so tv benefits from increased revenues via more advertizement $. How about the ordinary, uneducated yet unbiased fan? Here goes the explanation......

As been said before most sports on this side of the world have little intermission inbetween to I guess "give the fans a breather"; you know getting a beer, some pizza, checking the internet...rubish like that. Those lil 30 sec breaks that Sportsnet have during the game almost gives enough time for the common fan to get up, get to the fridge, get some food, come back to the couch, sit down and be ready for the rest of the game. I know one of the complaints of people who watched soccer (again I didn't say football) was that, strangely enough, there were no breaks inbetween the action (they wanted to use the bathroom real bad but couldn't leave because they'd miss something). At least this way you can't lose out on much of the action. not much happens on goalkicks anyhow.

Trust me when I say this though.....there's nuttin like a football match WITHOUT

Just my 2 cents.

OOPS....sorry.....WITHOUT commercials (I prefer live), but I can compromise a lil bit. Give Sportsnet a lil credit. They've been able to increase football coverage to a huge extent making it my personal preferencial choice of sports channels to watch (FSWC is no.1 because more football and a lil cricket is shown) and now they may or may not have stumbled on something that might actually work to get more people to watch the game.

Again.....my 2 cents.

Archived