Vancouver Sun: More Stadium talk for SFU

nolando

From today's Sun Sports wrap by Greg Douglas:

When Whitecaps GM Bob Lenarduzzi heard the news that Richmond won the nod (for the Olympic oval) he immediately contacted Chris Seguin, SFU's athletics advancement officer, to renew conversations about a proposed 20,000 seat stadium where the skating oval would have been built on the west side of Burnaby Mountain. With Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot already having pledged $3 million to two fully-lit artificial turf playing fields at SFU, the synergy between the two parties has heightened considerably since last Tuesday's disappointing developments.

No. Bob Lenarduzzi said on the radio this week that Vancouver and the other teams doing really well in the A-League have had talks about possibly forming a rival to MLS and even then the Whitecaps would only consider that once they do better in the A-League.

There's no plan by Kerfoot to go to MLS, and in Montreal Saputo has already said he'snot interested in MLS. These owners don't want to lose that kind of money.

I personally really like the idea of a stadium in a beautiful location, as opposed to downtown at Main Street. The big drawback of course is losing city walk-up crowds, because Burnaby Mountain is well off the beaten path for most Vancouverites.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I'd rather have it in the heart of downtown, myself. I'm not making the trip to SFU for games.

I agree, it will be really hard to fill 20,000 seats that far away from Downtown, Swanguard has a way better location then SFU. At least it is right on the skytrain route. SFU is still a Bus a way from skytrain. Thats not good for a large stadium.

Archived