sstackho

Butch chasin' Jason

EXCLUSIVE by SCOTT BURNS

188 words

11 August 2004

Daily Star

English

© copyright Express Newspapers 2004

TERRY BUTCHER is trying to bring freed Plymouth midfielder Jason Bent to Fir Park.

Butcher turned his attention to the Canadian international yesterday after signing Celtic midfielder Kevin McBride on a six-month loan.

Bent, 27, was a regular under Paul Sturrock at Home Park but a knee operation meant he couldn't impress Bobby Williamson and was released.

But the former Colorado Rapids man has since starred in Canada's World Cup campaign and Butcher is keen for him to prove his fitness before he offers him a contract.

If Bent (right) doesn't impress then Butcher will look towards Newcastle midfielder Jamie McClen.

He had a loan spell at Motherwell under Billy Davies and Sir Bobby Robson has told Butcher he is now surplus to requirements at St James' Park.

The Well boss has been able to strengthen his squad after letting Garry Bollan join Clyde.

Meanwhile, McBride, who came off the bench for Celtic in last week's win over Newcastle, will fill the right midfield role vacated by Keith Lasley's summer move to Williamson's Plymouth.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

bent starred for us in world cup qualifying? news to me!

What I meant to say is that the Bent story has seemed to be forgotten as a result of the 2 latest news this week: Canada's qualifying game against the Guats and plus the debut of Simpson and Serioux in England. So I was wondering if anyone has heard anything lately on Jason's trial with Motherwell.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

No official news, but I did find this messageboard post from tonight:

"Motherwell F.C rumour page says Jason is to sign a 2 year ,yes 2 YEAR deal next week"

http://www.welltrustfc.net/forums/index.php?s=b65c990711b23cb3fa649dda6620bea3&showtopic=3409

Thanx for the news. In fact, I went directly to the site. From here on, I will be keeping my eyes open on the latest news that comes-out of Motherwell.

Is there no chancxe of Bent ever playing MLS again?? I think Motherwell sounds like a big step back again (not necessarily from Plymouth, but just a general continuing slide off the radar for Jason. Anything below the top four clubs in Scotland seems like a waste of time for our boys if they could be playing regularly, headache-free at home in Canada in the A-League.

Nolando: As someone who has watched both A-League and SPL live on more than a few occasions, I'd say that the SPL standard, even at its lower teams, is way in advance of the A-League in terms of fitness and pace of the game (but not necessarily skill levels) and thus is probably a better preparation for international football.

You're probably right, Rupert, and I don't doubt you.I don't want to get into innane league comparison number 647 on this board (although relatively speaking, and to be fair, Motherwell is a pretty low level club, regardless of where Celtic and Rangers place in Uefa in a particular year). It's just that now that Yallop isn't shying away from picking A-leaguers (or unheralded college kids) to his roster I like to think(unrealistically) of the quickest route back to the national team (and a pretty good spotlight in itself) as being priority number one. I realize that steady pay and a chance to showcase in Britain rather than out in the football hinterland are much bigger priorities for a guy like Bent. It's just that it's such a shame, and I think most of the Voyageurs would agree, that this guy doesn't have a club. He was never a fringe player for us, he started all the time for years for Canada, played regularly in the MLS, and now seems like he can barely get a sniff out there on the opther side of the pond. Maybe it's too sentimental of me, but for a Canadian to see such an accomplished (and still young and unquestionably talented) footballer like Bent have to struggle it out time and time again, bouncing around like a nomad in Britain is a real shame. Maybe the answer is Scandinavia. It sure has worked well for some of our boys, and it seems to represent a stepping stone towards better things for the guys from lower tier footballing nations the way Holland is so often for the better countries' players.

from sky

Skysports.com understand that Canadian international midfielder Jason Bent has become a target of Scottish Premier League club Motherwell.

The former Colorado Rapids player was released by English Championship side Plymouth Argyle at the end of last season and has been on the lookout for a new club during the summer.

It is now thought that Terry Butcher's side could soon be making a move for the 27-year-old, as Bent looks to get his club and international career back on track.

The central midfield man would be the latest midfielder to be signed by Butcher, as The Well snapped up former Celtic man Kevin McBride earlier in the month.

Should the Brampton, Ontario native move to Fir Park, he would follow fellow countryman Lars Hirschfeld in moving north to an SPL club after the former Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper joined Ian McCall's Dundee United on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason's chasing switch to Well

EXCLUSIVE By Scott Burns

254 words

31 August 2004

The Express

English

© 2004 Express Newspapers

CANADIAN international Jason Bent arrived in Scotland yesterday looking to land a contract with Motherwell.

Express Sport revealed earlier this month that manager Terry Butcher was keen on taking the former Plymouth midfielder to Fir Park.

The 27-year-old was released by Bobby Williamson in the summer and is now looking to try and win a move to the Premierleague club.

Bent, who had been training with Halmstads [currently 2nd in Swedish top division], said: "I am in Scotland just now and we will just have to wait and see what happens.

"I will spend a few days with Motherwell and then I will get a better idea of what they want to do.

"Hopefully I can win a deal here and get back playing first-team football.

"I need to be playing football if I want to get back into the Canadian national team and that will be an important factor on any decision I make.

"I did have a trial spell at Halmstads but things didn't work out.

"We couldn't agree personal terms and so I moved on and now we'll see what happens at Motherwell."

Butcher, whose side beat Hearts 2-0 on Saturday, admitted he was still looking to add a player to his squad before the close of the transfer window tonight.

The former Rangers star said:

"We are looking to bring other people in who can play on the right of midfield.

"We are working on that before the deadline."

Halmstads would have been perfect. Maybe that "accomplished" footballing record hampered his ability to sign a quick starter deal, unlike the many young Canadians who presumably have signed for less. Foreign clubs must look at his last couple of years and wonder what happened to ther fine footballer. Pity it was mostly circumstances and not the football.

Guest Can. in UK

FROM FOOTYMAD:

As the transfer window petered out there seemed to be some confusion over the progress Terry Butcher has made in the attempt to bolster our midfield.

Jason Bent has been in and around the squad for a couple of weeks and he was seen at Fir Park on Tuesday afternoon sporting the number six training top. As the time for signings started to tick away the official site posted a story stating that, despite efforts on the club’s behalf, no activity (in or out) had taken place. A couple of hours later and the BBC reported that Jason Bent had signed and that the return of Alex Burns to Thistle was imminent. What’s going on?

He was born in Toronto in March 1977 and spent the least two seasons with Plymouth, before that he had three years with Colorado Rapids.

He has picked up almost thirty caps for Canada and he has experience of World Cup qualifiers, the U19 CONCAF championships, the FIFA World Youth Championship and the 2000 Olympic games.

Scott Burns reported in the Star that though he had been a regular at Plymouth when Paul Sturrock was in charge “a knee operation meant he couldn't impress Bobby Williamson and was released”. He had already suffered a hamstring injury and has been looking for a new home since the end of last season.

Terry Butcher made it clear recently that he was looking for a midfielder but it looks as though there are doubts about his suitability.

Better safe than sorry?

Guest Can. in UK

Butcher is Bent on last gasp signing Sep 1 2004

By Judith Tonner

TERRY Butcher joined his managerial counterparts by spending yesterday engaged in some last-minute transfer activities.

Midnight yesterday (Tuesday) marked the closure of the international transfer window, and the Motherwell manager intimated last weekend that he hoped to bring in a right-sided player before the deadline.

The new arrival was expected to be Jason Bent of Plymouth, a 27-year-old midfielder who has won 25 caps for Canada.

Speaking at lunchtime, Butcher would say only: “We’re trying to do things, and there are one or two things that might happen, so we’re waiting to hear back.”

Motherwell set to sign Canadian midfielder Sep 2 2004

http://iclanarkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/sport/hamilton/tm_objectid=14598019&method=full&siteid=50144&headline=motherwell-set-to-sign-canadian-midfielder-name_page.html

CANADIAN international midfielder Jason Bent is expected to sign for Motherwell today (Thursday).

Bent can sign after the closure of the transfer window on Tuesday because he is a free agent.

Fir Park gaffer Terry Butcher is confident of getting his man.

Speaking on Wednesday, he said: “Hopefully, we will be able to sign Jason Bent tomorrow.

“We’re waiting for one set of results, but we’re very confident of signing him, which would provide a major boost as he is a good player who has played at a high level.

“He’s a right-sided midfielder and he knows the role well. I hope he can take over from where Keith Lasley left off, because while Kevin McBride and Shaun Fagan have done well in the role this season it’s not their natural position.”

Guest Can. in UK

The Epic Saga of Jason Bent continues....

"Trialist Jason Bent has headed back home, after the 27-year-old Canadian international midfielder failed to agree terms with the club.

Speaking from Poland, where he is working for the BBC at England’s World Cup qualifier, manager Terry Butcher said: “There were one or two things that we didn’t agree on financially.

“He’s gone back to think about one or two things, so we’ll have to wait and see what happens.”

Although the international transfer deadline has passed, Bent would have been able to sign outside it because he is a free agent."

Archived