Question???

Lilloco

This is my first time posting here. I sorta ran into this forum by accident, but after reading some posts I have a quetion. In all honesty, who here really thinks Canada can win this group? I know everybody is always talking about how Greece beat the odds now, but can Canada really beat Costa Rica? I saw the Copa America and with a really crappy team they got to the quarter finals. Honduras has a crazy offense that kills with speed, and Guatemala has probably the best coach in Central America. I think that Canada can realistically battle Honduras for second, but it's gonna be really really hard to top the group.

I do.

But then I'm attaching way more importance to our first match against Guatemala next week then some others are. My thinking is that match will set the tone for this round of the tourny. Good or bad.

Saving Grace both ways is that we don't have to finish top to advance, and neither dose Costa Rica. There's no seeding in the Hex so placement dosen't matter. I think once Honduras is eliminated both Canada and Costa Rica will save the horses (Canada more so) and take whatever position they get, be it 1st or 2nd happily.

My 2nd biggest fear about this round is when it's all said and done the jig will be up. The Yanks, Mexicans, and especially the Ticos will know we're gunning for them. Let one of them bastards go to the playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

This is my first time posting here. I sorta ran into this forum by accident, but after reading some posts I have a quetion. In all honesty, who here really thinks Canada can win this group? I know everybody is always talking about how Greece beat the odds now, but can Canada really beat Costa Rica? I saw the Copa America and with a really crappy team they got to the quarter finals. Honduras has a crazy offense that kills with speed, and Guatemala has probably the best coach in Central America. I think that Canada can realistically battle Honduras for second, but it's gonna be really really hard to top the group.

Like any other qualifying tourny in soccer, It really doesn't matter whether you finish first or second as long as you advance. there is no trophy awarded to the first place finisher in a group. Team play to advance. in the last semi final round, Costa rica was forcced to a tie breaker game with Guatemala, but when they reached the hex( final stage) they still qualified for the WC. The winner of teh group invoving Honduras, El salvador, Jamaica did not qualify fot the World cup.

So the question is can canada advance? Sure!!! But I too agree that the first game is crucial as anything less than a win would set us back.

I totall agree with you that the first game is key. Specially since the Costa Rica-Honduras game will probably result in a 2-1 Costa rica win and the fact that Honduras plays better as a visitor. I think Canada can win the first game, probably 2-0 and can get a tie in the second, probably 2-2.

I really think Honduras is the best team in the group and think we might have to pip Costa Rica for second. Depends how the Contrachos D holds up. I don't know if we can finish first, I mean anything's possible, but I think we'll need a few ties between the central Americans to come out first.

It's going to be a very tough struggle. I'm not looking beyond beating Guatamala.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Canada will win the group. You heard it here first.

If it doesnt qualify I owe Nolberto a soccer jersey of his choice. If Canada finishes the top two, he owes me a brand new Canada Soccer Jersey ...:D

Yup, Jarrek had predicted this BEFORE the Belize game.

Archived