positive peters news

highburygooner

Yes, we need more of those friendly games to give exposure to our players. Sending a B team in Europe to participate to a tournament like La Manga Cup (where Olivier Occean was scout by Odd reenland last winter) could be very good for A-League players with european aspiration.

timotas, don't be surprised if jaime peters is NOT significantly improved as a player. only in VERY recent times have european clubs begun noticing the skill level of canadian youth players. i have read reports recently stating that canada's youth are superior to the americans (and i'd agree. they simply have the larger population that allows for a greater number exceptional players.) at any rate, the point i am making is that canadian youths never got serious looks unless they had an "in" in the past, and now, our youth are getting looks because their abilities are being given a chance to show through.

that said, we don't need "B" internationals against Cuba, etc, for any reason other than to lock up young up and comers and expose them to world cup national team football. other than the experience, it won't benefit them much career-wise, logically. i think, as in recent cases, matches against professional clubs would be more beneficial for the individual to sign pro contracts, thus providing our world cup squad with more depth.

Bettermirror: trueviking and winnipeg fury werent talking baout having b friendlies nessesarily with teams like cuba ... but like we did this summer with millwall and hearts...2 players already signed, and 1 on trial with up to 4 teams....thats a success story in the making...i think this should happen every summer. A B-team vs club teams sorta thing......a couple club teams and our top a-leaguers....have it in a different city every ytear and build a fan base that way. This could be something big for the csa and canadians in the a-league.

no worries.

so with peters being called up, and yallop stating on soccercentral that he'll play, does anyone else see this as the CSA and yallop locking up a player rather than losing possibly another player ala hargreaves and possibly hughes. with the chance of losing de guzman i can see the powers that be simply trying to lock up a young talent to the national team. because even though there is a u20 rule allowing players to go it only applies to playing for the u20 and below. if you are under 20 years of age but play for your senior team you are locked. cristiano ronaldo can never play for brazil or spain or whatever other heritage he may have. peters can now never play for england, wales, scotland, or ireland depending on his heritage, when he plays on wednesday.

i think it's shrewd and intelligent. hopefully we can lock up the younger de guzman during this semi-final round too, if not then the hex.

Well I'm only positive Jaime doesn't have any relations to any European countries, so thats a good sign. If anything, I think he might have connections to Jamaica or some other country around there, no worries. He's committed to Canada, he's learnt everything in Canada, and I remember him being always being keen to stay and play on the Canadian Nats Side.

United target £6m Defoe

By Paul Hetherington

172 words

15 August 2004

The Express on Sunday

English

© Copyright Express Newspapers 2004

MANCHESTER UNITED boss Sir Alex Ferguson will target Spurs striker Jermain Defoe if he is given the go-ahead this week to spend again.

United had intended Alan Smith and Gabriel Heinze to be their only summer signings but Ferguson's injury crisis has left him without strikers Ruud van Nistelrooy, Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who has been ruled out for the season.

Fergie holds talks this week with chief executive David Gill to see if there is money available.

If there is, £6 millionrated Defoe would be a candidate for Old Trafford.

However, new Spurs boss Jacques Santini would fight to keep Defoe and pair him with James Beattie, a £6m target from Southampton.

United also head a string of English clubs eyeing Canadian boy wonder Jaime Peters.

The 17-year-old winger, who spent last season with German club Kaiserslautern, is set for a trial at Old Trafford after playing for his country in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Guatemala.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

United target £6m Defoe

United also head a string of English clubs eyeing Canadian boy wonder Jaime Peters.

The 17-year-old winger, who spent last season with German club Kaiserslautern, is set for a trial at Old Trafford after playing for his country in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Guatemala.

That is great news. Even if he plays a year or two on the developmental side it mean he will get a shot at the premiership.

Is it just me or did this Jamie Peters hype come out of know where. He's been on the radar for a year or so. I can remember he had a tryout in Sweden and then moved over the Germany, but very little was heard from him over there. Now all of a sudden a handful of top English clubs are fighting over him, he's a projected starter for our national team at WCQ no less, and the english press are using words like "boy wonder" to describe him.

How did all this happen so fast?

Yea i think it's great news....i know a bunch of you guys want him to sign with ipswich or millwall or derby, but doesnt a newish fifa rule stipulate that clubs cannot sign pro contracts till they're 18 anways? youth sides in the manchester united system compared to those in div 1 would be my first choice......

this could be biased, sicne i am a United fan....but i think it'd be great to have a young kid in their system learning from the best for a couple years...then either sign pro with them, or sign on to another top level team

It is nice to see all the hype about this 17 year old Canadian Wonder Jaime Peters. Its not really a hype he has been one of the best youth players for past three years. You can check the CSA to confirm. He's played with the Canadian U17, U20, U23 and recently the Canadian Squad against Millwall division 1.

There has been all sorts of interests in Jaime over the last two years. Manchester City offered a contract in 2002 , Swedish teams in 2003, he spent three months in Germany with KCF under 19 where he was rated best player in the Youth league. He played in the Nike International Tournament in Germany and recieved trophy for 2nd best player in the tournament.

In the Canadian game versus millwall he was named player of the game thus that is the interest in this young player. Scouts in Europe and Canadian soccer Association have realized his talent . Its not out of nowhere and without international exposure. Jaime has been offered contracts by many teams. KFC(Germany) you can go to www.jaime-peters.com to see articles written about jaime.

quote:Originally posted by snake

did peters two games this summer with the canadian national B squad count as senior caps?

No. Only official FIFA games count as caps (as in being cap-tied to Canada).

Question for new poster 'Dumplin'. Do you have a website for those newspapers that the clippings are from???

Rheinpfalz paper and the Sonntag Aktuell.

quote:Originally posted by Dumplin

No i dont because those are newspaper clippings scanned onto the website

It's alright. Found the website for one of them but it looks like you have to subscribe to the paper to get access. Some 20 odd Euros a month. Not my cup of tea.

Archived