positive peters news

highburygooner

some new info on jamie peters off of a county supporters website:

Canadian winger sensation on trial

By Einar Sand

Date: 10/8/2004

17 year old Canadian winger sensation Jamie Peters arrived at Moor Farm today for a trial with Derby County. He has already had a spell with Millwall and Ipswich and looks set to sign for the Tractors unless George Burley can put one over them this time.

After impressing in two games - one U-18's and one reserve team - and several days of training with Ipswich, manager Joe Royle was enthusiastic: "I have seen Jaime in training and I know what he can do. He has trained with the first team squad and he hasn't looked out of place.We have registered our interest and made it known to Jaime."

Jamie Peters was part of German side Kaiserslautern's youth set-up until this summer but is now a free agent. He is however a player Canadian national team manager Frank Yallop rates very highly. So highly in fact that Peters already has been selected for Canada's National World Cup squad.

Weather or not that's good enough for George Burley, who already has three out and out wingers in the side, remains to be seen. He missed out on one Canadian when Jason de Vos opted for Ipswich rather than Derby, and with Ipswich already declaring their interest and Derby being short of central defenders rather than wingers, we might well miss out on Peters as well. Or perhaps Paul Peschisolido will put in a word or two?

I guess Millwall couldn't capture this guy. Ipswitch is probably the best choice of the three given they are a potential promotion candidate.

I read somewhere that Man U was interested in offering him a trial too. I don't think it would be a good place for a 17 year old Canadian to be because he would be burried deep. Better to have a chance to play on a team with a thinner bench.

Pesch being another Pickering boy might have some influential words. Who knows?

SOCCER LINES

201 words

11 August 2004

Daily Star

English

© copyright Express Newspapers 2004

IPSWICH, Derby and Millwall are locked in a tug-of-war for 17-yearold Canadian winger Jaime Peters, who is on the fringe of his country's World Cup squad, after his release by German club Kaiserslautern.

This very exciting stuff. Let's hope Peters surrounds himself with good people--managers, agent, supporters. If he can keep his head like Hutch and DeGuzmann have, he may very well become an excellent player. Let's hope we are up a few goals against the Guats, just so Frank can give Jamie a run-out for 10minutes.

Now, if only Jonathon Deguzman could be persuaded to get cap-tied to Canada NOW.

"This very exciting stuff. Let's hope Peters surrounds himself with good people--managers, agent, supporters. If he can keep his head like Hutch and DeGuzmann have, he may very well become an excellent player. Let's hope we are up a few goals against the Guats, just so Frank can give Jamie a run-out for 10minutes."

Hey Beav, (in my best Wally voice)

While I prepare for a mad rush of Nat supporters to join me on what had been an otherwise very lonely bandwagon (in fact, up until this point, a vintage 1954 Coleman and Sons unicycle), please cross-reference your own posts on the various topics, try and resolve this argument with yourself over whether you like Peters or not (or wait until Davidson spills the news of his imminent new contract at a prestigious club like most Voyageurs will), and then get back to me on whether or not you still think Peters should ready against Guatemala to come off of the bench LIKE I SUGGESTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

;)

We should all get Jonathon's address or when Julians in Canada or the DeGuzmans' parents, and give them something all signed by the Voyageurs, persauding him to come play for Canada, because of the bright future Canadian football has. :) Give him the old DeGuzman - DeGuzman in the middle of our midfield scenario.. cus hey Hughes can go, whatever, but DeGuzman is something special that we can't let go. Because I know the Dutch are desperately trying to get DeGuzman to play there, and think about it, I bet he heres it almost everyday from the coaches at Feyenoord who have taught him almost everything, trying to tell him the best way to become a world class footballer, is to play in Holland. We must start something!!

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

i think someone should delete luis's post...its a bit outrageous calling for physical violence against a teenager.

The problem with Luis is that there is no middle ground with him. It's either all roses and sunshine or the flaming pits of hell.

From an Ipswich Town supporters' website, news that Jason De Vos will try to convince Jamie Peters to sign with Ipswich. The quote from De Vos also appears to confirm that Peters has been called up to the senior team for the Guatemala game (got my tix -- can't wait!):

JDV To Help Bring In Peters

By Aston - August 11 2004

Ipswich Town defender Jason De Vos would like Ipswich off the pitch as well as on by help triallist Jamie Peters sign for Ipswich.

JDV To Help Bring In Peters

Ipswich Town’s defender Jason De Vos would like Ipswich off the pitch as well as on by help triallist Jamie Peters sign for us.

De Vos will be playing alongside the 17 year winger next week when their both playing under Frank Yallop for Canada, while he’s away he hopes to have a word with Jamie and convince him that he should continue his career at Portman Road and not at one of the other clubs that are trying to sign him.

De Vos has said that: “I know Jamie by reputation and he is a very exciting prospect. He has been called into the full Canada squad at just 17, which shows his potential. Hopefully between myself and Frank Yallop we will be able to convince him to come to Ipswich.”.

Are we sure JDV doesn't mean he played with the senior team (albeit B) at 17, rather than saying he'll be there Wednesday?

Jamie Peters is a great prospect, but I don't think anyone who has never played a senior professional game (or the NCAA) is ready for a World Cup qualifier. I stand by that.

cheers,

matthew

This has to be, without a doubt, the strangest story ever to come accross this board. I am still trying to believing that its not a hoax. If these stories are accurate, we are calling to teh senior squad someone who ( correct me if I am wrong):

1) is 17 yrs old

2) has played no professional soccer

3)is skipping two levels of play ( MNT for U20 and U23).

4) was cut by Kaiserlautern. A top tier team

5) has played in the last U23 olympic qualifying team but without much fanfare, comming in as a sub in a few games.

6) was listed as having no club affiliation at the time when he was called to the olympic side.

This would be stranger than the Hirshfeld to Spurs story. Might he be the first ever 17 yr year old who is capped by a senior side before ever playing pro. And worst of all, you would think that with all the world media focus on this sport, we would have many stories of these types of prodigies. you should be able to type his name in a any search engine and come up with tons of stories on him . But what about our guys here who report on teh german Bundesliga/ Would they not have come accross something?

Was he cut by Kaiserslautern or did he just leave? I would be surprised if they actually cut him since I remember Ed reporting in one of his updates that he scored twice in a reserve game at 16. Or maybe it was a Junior game?

Guest Can. in UK

FROM SKY SPORTS:

Premiership giants Manchester United look to be the latest club to be handing a trial to highly-rated Canadian youngster Jaime Peters.

The 17-year-old midfielder has been in England trying to earn a contract with a club following his departure from German Bundesliga outfit Kaiserslautern and his abilities have seemingly attracted the interest of Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

Championship sides Derby County and Ipswich Town are also running the rule over the talented teenager, with Town admitting they are keen to sign the winger.

Millwall, who have already signed fellow Canadians Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux in the past week, also seem eager to have a look at Peters.

The youngster caused The Lions all sorts of problems in a pre-season friendly last month in Vancouver, when he played in the Canada 'B' squad against Dennis Wise's men.

Peters hails from Pickering, Ontario, which is the same hometown as Derby County striker Paul Peschisolido, and has an impressive international resume with caps for his country at Under-17, Under-20 and Olympic Under-23 levels.

The youngster has also been named in Frank Yallop's full Canada squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifier against Guatemala in Vancouver next Wednesday.

Guest Georgio

It is a strange story Freekick and I have not seen him play. I am assumining that he is a young player that has only now just about fully grown.

Between the ages of 16 and 17 and player could change dramatically if he has just finished his growth spurt.

Maybe it's a case of him growing into his body just about fully and given that he has been exposed to excellent training and development in Germany, things are just really coming together now at the age of 17.

In one year a youngster could go from being skilled, weak so as to be pushed off the ball easier and not particularly fast to being skilled, strong on the ball and with speed to sell.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

I have to say that if he sings with the red devils, it would be great. They have a great youth system and lets face it, chances are, he won't break into the man utd squad but he'll get great training and then probably move on to a good club

Didn't people say the same thing about Dunfield and Manchester City?

Peters seems to be a talented kid, but I think he has a better chance

at Ipswich, Derby, or Millwall where he could be mentored by and with

a few Canucks. Good luck to him , and looking forward to see him on

the pitch against Guatemala.

what the heck is going on here? the csa needs to book first division friendlies every year! with a little bit of exposure, in the last two weeks, 3 kids who were practically off the radar have signed or seemingly will sign contracts with first division teams and all three have become members of our full world cup squad...i dont get it. how did this happen? it seems a lot of people are hanging their hats on some untested teenagers....i am not complaining, but it seems surreal.

Peters should definitely not be at Man Utd, many of those players in the Man Utd system slowly fade away because of such high competition, sitting on the bench for reserves or U-19 squads isnt what Peters needs. Peters needs to be at Derby, Ispwich, or Millwall, where he will be known as a star, not just as a regular player. If he slowly works himself into the first team at one of these Championship League Sides, when he is around 19, he'll be a much better player. Its kinda shocking, only a year ago today I was playing against Jaime in North York. He must have gotta much better.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Peters should definitely not be at Man Utd, many of those players in the Man Utd system slowly fade away because of such high competition, sitting on the bench for reserves or U-19 squads isnt what Peters needs. Peters needs to be at Derby, Ispwich, or Millwall, where he will be known as a star, not just as a regular player. If he slowly works himself into the first team at one of these Championship League Sides, when he is around 19, he'll be a much better player. Its kinda shocking, only a year ago today I was playing against Jaime in North York. He must have gotta much better.

Timotas, you are right. I personally feel that the Ipswich deal is perhaps the best deal that this kid will have. It would allow him to perform under a 1st team action, rather than sitting on a bench.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

what the heck is going on here? the csa needs to book first division friendlies every year! with a little bit of exposure, in the last two weeks, 3 kids who were practically off the radar have signed or seemingly will sign contracts with first division teams and all three have become members of our full world cup squad...i dont get it. how did this happen? it seems a lot of people are hanging their hats on some untested teenagers....i am not complaining, but it seems surreal.

Yes, after years of the Voyageurs screaming for B-team friendlies, our recent friendly put on by the BC Soccer Association has paid off in spades. Nobody would have believed prior to those matches that those 3 players would have been called by Yallop.

And there's no reason to stop now ! It's time we had more matches hosted by our provincial associations featuring the Canadian national squad. Whether it be an international with the likes of Cuba, Bermuda, or club teams like Hearts or Millwall, we need more.

Archived