Canada U20 1-1 against Haiti

CDN4EVR

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Monday, July 26, 2004

Canada Settles For Draw Against Haiti

Dale Mitchell

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida - Canada’s Men’s Youth (U-20) Team had to settle for a 1-1 draw against a select team of Haitian players on Sunday, July 25th at the Sunrise Hilton Sports Complex in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The Haitians (a team comprised of U-23 and U-20 players) fell behind early after a Riley O’Neill goal in the 11th minute. However, poor Canadian finishing allowed the Haitians to stay within a goal. Haiti’s opportunity for the draw came in the 75th minute when they capitalized. When the final whistle blew, they had earned a hard fought 1-1 draw.

Like they did against the Jamaicans in the opening game of the tour, the Canadians started quickly and didn’t wait long for their first chance to score. In the second minute, Mississauga’s Jeremy Shepherd weaved his way to the end-line and attempted to cut back a cross for a supporting Franco Lalli. Shepherd’s cross was too close to the Haitian goalkeeper and the move ended without any real menace.

Nine minutes later, Lalli would turn provider; this time with a far different outcome. Lalli’s low, hard cross to the near post from the right side of the Haitian goal was directed toward O’Neill. The Campbell River-native overpowered his marker and redirected the cross past a helpless Haitian goalkeeper.

Shepherd should have added to the Canadian lead in the 15th minute when he was sent in alone by a well-weighted ball from Ryan Gyaki. Shepherd’s shot was sent straight at the onrushing Haitian keeper, who gathered the subsequent loose ball.

The Haitians did have three threatening moments in the opening 45 minutes but Canadian goalkeeper Thomas Lindley was well positioned for all of them.

The second half was much like the first. Canada dominated the entire 45 minutes and out-chanced the Haitians 10-3, but their failure to score would eventually allow the Haitian’s to draw.

In the 65th minute Lalli would find himself one on one with the Haitian goalkeeper but his shot was saved off the left post and out for a corner. The Canadian’s would then have four clear chances to score in the next six minutes – In the 66th minute Nikolas Ledgerwood sliced his shot wide of the goal from eight yards out; in the 67th minute, Dylan Hughes misfired from the right corner of the six-yard box, and three minutes later found himself alone after the Haitian off-side trap failed miserably for a shot straight into the Haitian goalkeeper. The following rebound was hacked away for a throw; in the 68th minute, Ledgerwood would again find himself within shooting range but again shot wide of the Haitian net.

In the 75th minute, against the run of play, Haiti countered quickly and managed to work their way down the left flank toward the end-line. The Haitian winger’s cross through the six-yard box was met by a supporting Haitian striker who made no mistake. Suddenly the game was even.

Both teams would share half-chances in the final ten minutes but could not find the elusive winner.

“Our lack of match fitness at this time of year has caused our quality of play to digress with each game on this trip”, said head coach Dale Mitchell immediately following the match. “To be fair, we had six or seven good chances to score today but could only manage the one goal. Overall, the camp has been a good test for the group.”

Canada U20s vs. Haitian Selection

July 25, 2004 - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA

Sunrise Hilton Sports Complex

Canada 1(1)

Haiti Selection 1(0)

Goals: Canada – O’Neill (11); Haiti Selection – unavailable (75)

Cautions: Canada – 68’ Gyaki (68); Haitian Selection – 78’ unavailable (78)

Canada – Thomas Lindley; Nikolas Ledgerwood (captain); Simon Kassaye; Andrew Hainault; Patrick Kellly (46’ Graham Ramalho); Carlo Schiaboni (46’ Petro Czoli); Ryan Gyaki; Tomasz Charowski; Franco Lalli; Jeremy Shepherd (62’ Marcel De Jong); Riley O’Neill (46’ Dylan Hughes); Head Coach – Dale Mitchell; Subs not used – Josh Wagenaar; Jaime Peters

O'Neill plays at the University of Kentucky where he was conference newcomer of the year as a frosh last year.

Does anyone know the background of Charowski and why he is eligible for Canada? Seemingly an eastern European heritage, yet born in the States and now playing for Canada.

I checked his recruit bio at the Duke University site (where he is refered to as Tomek Charowski) and it gives no clue as to any Canadian link. I'll gladly take him, but just curious if anyone has any information.

O'Neill plays at the University of Kentucky where he was conference newcomer of the year as a frosh last year.

Does anyone know the background of Charowski and why he is eligible for Canada? Seemingly an eastern European heritage, yet born in the States and now playing for Canada.

I checked his recruit bio at the Duke University site (where he is refered to as Tomek Charowski) and it gives no clue as to any Canadian link. I'll gladly take him, but just curious if anyone has any information.

In relation to Charowski, all-American will mean he was considered either in the top 11, 22 or more high school prospects in the US. Considering he hasn't played college ball yet, it must relate to his high school days. Many are probably familiar with the basketball term "McDonald's High School All American", I do believe it to be the same with soccer. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, but I also believe he played in the national all-star game which features the top 22 to 30 players graduating high school in any particular year. That, I believe, is how they come up with the term All-American.

Sorry, a bit long-winded as I didn't know how to word it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I found Charowski's connection to Canada. Turns out he lived in Halifax for 2 years.

http://news.greenvilleonline.com/news/sports/hs03/site/greenvilleonline/preps.php?pagename=story&rc=y&storyid=33213

quote:In 1988, three years after their only child was born, the Charowskis emigrated from Poland. They spent two years in Germany, two more in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and then moved to South Carolina

Jeez, that's an awful thin connection, although it was his first residence in North America. Still, other countries have done it to us, so why not turn the tables. Plus, this is U20 friendlies so far. It's not as though he has burned any and all opportunity to play for the US or Poland. We've seen that U20 players can change their minds. I'm hopeful he stays with us though.

Archived