Italian football - Serie A

hitmannn

I am going to live in Montreal starting September. I was wondering if there are any TV channels there that broadcast the Italian Serie A, as I am a big fan of it. I was also wondering if any channels broadcast the European Champions League. Can someone please help me out by giving me the TV Channel's name and network?

Thanks alot :)

RDS (French) and TNS (English), both basic cable in Montreal I think, cover the Champions League games (usually two on the weeks they are on. "Extra" cable on FoxSportsWorldCanada have many of the others (and often some of the Spanish league). Setanta covers some of the others on PayPerView at some bars.

Rogers Sportsnet, also on basic cable, usually has one of the UEFA matches per week.

TLN, Telelatino (still not sure if on basic cable in Motreal like it is in most of the rest of the country) has usually had about 4 or 5 Serie A matches (Eurosport broadcasts in English) every weekend, but it is unsure what is happening this fall yet because of RAI television maybe starting up in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

RDS (French) and TNS (English), both basic cable in Montreal I think, cover the Champions League games (usually two on the weeks they are on. "Extra" cable on FoxSportsWorldCanada have many of the others (and often some of the Spanish league). Setanta covers some of the others on PayPerView at some bars.

Rogers Sportsnet, also on basic cable, usually has one of the UEFA matches per week.

Just to be clear, last year FSWC and Sportsnet had the UEFA Cup, not the Champions League. But there were some Champions League matches on Telelatino (usually Real Madrid or Italian teams). So in total we got two or three Champions League games per week on TSN/RDS and Telelatino, and one or two UEFA Cup games per week on FSWC and Sportsnet. Of course more of both were available in bars through Setanta.

It should be noted that the UEFA Cup is using a different format this year (similar to the Champions League), so it's possible that TV rights will be sold differently and what we get may not be the same as what we got in the past.

(I say again, we need a FAQ for questions like this! Well, at least it was Italy and not England this time.)

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

By the way, RAI's application was denied this week, but the ruling went unnoticed because the CHOI FM and Al Jazeera stories made bigger headlines.

That is very interesting news. After all that fuss vs. Telelatino, RAI failed to get their own channel! I wonder if they will now sell programming to Telelatino once again. That would please Italians who have been complaining about all the English-language programming they are currently receiving, and could mean more soccer (I say keep the Eurosport package and take Italian national team, Coppa Italia and European games).

Italian soccer is on TLN in Canada. Problem with living in Montreal is that, unlike other parts of the country for example, this channell (in Montreal) is part of higher and much more expensive cable package. This may depend on the part of the city you live in since I think that different cable companies service different areas. Many Italians in Montreal are quite upset about this. I know that if you live west of downtown, you will have dificulty geting Telelatino unless you are prepared to pay through the nose for it.

regarding the Rai international issue. Don't be surprised if this issue resurfaces. I am very familiar with Paul Martin riding. Since I used to live there for several years. The interesting bit about that riding is that it has one of the larger Italian communities in Canada. roughly a third of the riding is Italian an other third is english speaking and the final third is french. The Italian community in that riding has always suported Martin very strongly and he is quite close to that community. He has also been seen at the Italian mass in the past.

Well, I am going to be living somewhere downtown to be closer to the university. I might be living somewhere around Guy, St Catherine, Peel, and that area. What do you all advise me to get? I just want Serie A games and Champions League.

quote:Originally posted by hitmannn

Well, I am going to be living somewhere downtown to be closer to the university. I might be living somewhere around Guy, St Catherine, Peel, and that area. What do you all advise me to get? I just want Serie A games and Champions League.

yeah that's the west part of town. My guess is that you will be attending Concorcordia U.

IT's not THAT expensive at all to get TLN in those areas where it doesnt come in on premium cable (like Ottawa, Montreal). I mean, you'd have to expect to pay something to get Italian football in Montreal, just like one would expect to pay if they wanted to watch U.S. baseball in Rio, Brasil.

yeh thats right.. im willing to pay.. but are you all sure TLN has Serie A and champs league for next season? and TLN comes under what satallite/network?... I also would like to know roughly of much I need to pay please.. thanks

freekick.. yup, concordia ;)

Archived