Canada v Guatemala pre-match news/tactics/etc

matthew

If anyone is fluent, here's a Guatemalan article about our upcoming match.

http://www.pontaza.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1816

Piss-poor online translation here:

What press of Canada says to him

While the Canadian press says that its present selection is inferior to others, the technician and the players of blue and the white one, affirm that it is a strong and dangerous equipment.

The press of Canada assures specially that its present selection does not surpass to previous by its deficiencies in the defensive and lack of concentration in the small area.

The technician of the Guatemalan oncena, Ramon Maradiaga affirms, nevertheless, that futbol Canadian is "fast, strong and good by stop", reason why "he deserves respect, but nothing else".

For the journalists of the North American country "the equipment does not finish being reconciled", "it is an equipment very young" or "still lack to improve to him in the defensive".

Dyle Oviatt of the Calgary Herald considers that "to the group him lack concentration when is in the small area, sometimes does not know how to define and does not have much forcefulness in the firings".

For the Guatemalans, the picture of the Leaf of Maple "wins in the aerial game and" they surpass to us in the corpulencia "as Dwight Pezzarossi declares to it.

Like Guatemala (that with it initiated its phase of blank before facing those of the north, sees graph: National selection its itinerary until August 1, the selection of Canada made a training camping in the city of Vancouver from the 9 to the 15 of July, where the strategist Frank Yallop would try to improve those deficiencies.

For Maradiaga and company, the camping in Oxnard was vital to improve the physical aspect that as much suffers the selection and where they gained more, according to such players (sees box: The physicist is priority).

Part of the force in the equipment of Yallop emphasizes with the participation of Jamie the Peters of 17 years, youngest of the selected ones. Peters militates at the moment in the Kaiserslautern of the Bundesliga, which stops Dwight Pezzarossi is a point in favor of the North Americans, arguing that "they has several players in Europe and that reinforces them better".

Meticulous study

Still it is little what the selected ones know on Canada. "In Oxnard we dedicated ourselves to the work, and now we will have the opportunity to see the videos", confesses the defense Pablo Melgar.

From today in the Goal Project, the directed ones by the Primi reinitiate the work where they will be able meticulously to study the weaknesses and virtues of his first official rival.

Some as Guillermo Ramirez affirms that "(Canada ') it is a strong and fast equipment, but to which it is possible to be won to him".

Maradiaga stands out that Canada is a good equipment and is necessary to try to follow the same line which it faced El Salvador ", where Henry Medina marked the difference (sees box: Great debut).

fÍSICO IS PRIORITY

Veintiuno century made the following question to the selected ones: In what it improved in Oxnard?

Jose Mendoza: in the physicist, mental technician and.

Jose Zacarías: in force, confidence and union of group.

Pablo Melgar: in the physicist, power and speed.

Dwight Pezzarossi: in the physicist, group and the technique.

Hetzon Pereira: in the physicist, psychic union and.

Guillermo Ramirez: in the physicist, confidence and technique.

Nelson Moral: in the union, tactical physicist and.

Mario Rodriguez: in the physicist, psychic and tactical

Gonzalo Romero: in the physicist, union and coexistence.

Claudius Alvizures: in the physicist, union and force.

Henry Medina: in the force, technique and speed

OF Home RETURN

SURPRISE. Miss Guatemala, Marva Weatherborn received to sele.

"HELLO UNCLE". Nelson Jose went first in embracing its Nelson uncle.

SQUAD. By the great door they arrived at Guatemala, Roy Posas, Leonel Flowers, Gustavo Goatherd, Montepeque Transit and Jose Mendoza.

HENRY MEDINA GREAT DEBUT

The debut could not be better for the central defense. Minute 40 with a free shot made the difference before El Salvador.

"I had confidence to shoot. It could not waste the opportunity ", assures the zaguero.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Jose Mendoza: in the physicist, mental technician and.

Jose Zacarías: in force, confidence and union of group.

Pablo Melgar: in the physicist, power and speed.

Dwight Pezzarossi: in the physicist, group and the technique.

Hetzon Pereira: in the physicist, psychic union and.

Guillermo Ramirez: in the physicist, confidence and technique.

Nelson Moral: in the union, tactical physicist and.

Mario Rodriguez: in the physicist, psychic and tactical

Gonzalo Romero: in the physicist, union and coexistence.

Claudius Alvizures: in the physicist, union and force.

Henry Medina: in the force, technique and speed

OF Home RETURN

SURPRISE. Miss Guatemala, Marva Weatherborn received to sele.

"HELLO UNCLE". Nelson Jose went first in embracing its Nelson uncle.

SQUAD. By the great door they arrived at Guatemala, Roy Posas, Leonel Flowers, Gustavo Goatherd, Montepeque Transit and Jose Mendoza.

WOW! Some pretty accomoplished players on that squad :D.

Physisists, union leader? . even psychics? they are really going all out :D

It cracks me up how northern people believe that any country south of their border is a jungle with no roads. I'm not a fan of mazatenango myself (because of the weather) and I believe that’s why the Guatemalan soccer coach is moving the game there. Mazatenango with its 30c-35c average temperature and 70% relative humidity it’s very uncomfortable to anyone that doesn’t live there. So weather wise it's uncomfortable but there are no dusty roads there and the road definitively doesn’t go through the jungle. The only real rainforest jungle part is in the northern part of the country in Peten. Perhaps if people would to step out of their crystal bubble and see the world you would be amazed that not all of it is a jungle, yeah we do have buildings, streets, cars(not everything is pulled by donkeys) 5 star hotels and ohh yeah we have shopping centers, McDonalds and burger king :D. It might be a 3rd world country with poverty and crime but it isn’t that bad. Sorry if I'm flaming but it pisses me off when someone goes off describing a place that he has never been too. Ignorance is a terrible thing and giving one's opinion with limited information I believe is ignorant.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

It looks like the return trip we'll be going to hell. From futbol de guatemala.com:

Miercoles 17-Noviembre-2004:

Guatemala - Canada

Estadio "Carlos Salazar", Mazatenango

A few words from the U.S. about Mazatenango where they played their 2000 qualifier:

It's no secret that Guatemala switched the site of this Sunday's World Cup qualifier against the U.S. from Guatemala City to tiny Mazatenango to inflict the area's heat, humidity and mosquitoes on the visiting Americans. But there's more to Mazatenango than just those minor discomforts.

To wit, American goalkeeper Kasey Keller remembers playing in Mazatenango in 1988 with the U.S. under-20 team. What sticks out in his mind? One of his teammates woke up one night with a scorpion in his bed.

According to one U.S. embassy staffer in Guatemala City, Mazatenango is "the only region of Guatemala that doesn't have a home population. They're all nomads and peasants. But they're hot-blooded peasants who love their soccer." In other words, expect the usual urine-filled bags, batteries, etc. to be flying out of the stands at the U.S. players on gameday.

The 'home population' thing explains why teams can't/don't stay in Mazatenango before games and have to take a long road through the jungle into town.

Looks like we're saving the best for last.

cheers,

matthew

:D:D:D:D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by Tachu

It cracks me up how northern people believe that any country south of their border is a jungle with no roads....... Perhaps if people would to step out of their crystal bubble and see the world you would be amazed that not all of it is a jungle, yeah we do have buildings, streets, cars(not everything is pulled by donkeys) 5 star hotels and ohh yeah we have shopping centers, McDonalds and burger king :D. ..when someone goes off describing a place that he has never been too. Ignorance is a terrible thing and giving one's opinion with limited information I believe is ignorant.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fair enough Tachu, my bad. I've now seen pictures of Mazatenango and it was nothing like I imagined. Most of what I was basing my idea of the place was other people's discriptions. The US said originally they couldn't stay in Mazatenango and had to stay 12 miles away in and then there was the US embassy disription of 'no home population' and filled with nomads. It appears to have been quite exaggerated.

I'm well aware that Guatemala isn't stuck in the 19th century. Guatemala City doesn't look much different than any city in Canada from what I've seen of it. But the disciptions of Mazatenango make it out to be a backwater flavela filled with nomads (and deer, it means city of deer right?). Obviously you are right, that was an ignorant opinion.

Anyway thanks for setting the record straight on Mazatenango. I didn't mean any disrespect and I'll take US press reports with a bigger grain of salt in the future.

cheers,

matthew

Tachu,

Make us less ignorant!

I'd love to hear more about Mazatenango. What's it like, aside from the weather? How long a trip from Antigua? Is there any tourism merit to the place?

I know a fair amount about Guatemala, but I've read nothing but horror stories about Mazatenango.

Archived