Euro 2004 - Sweden-The Netherlands(R)

Canuck Oranje

0 - 0 after 90 min. Very tactical game.

Davids justifiably subsituted. I love him as a player but he was awful today.

McKaay and Van Nistelrooj together in attack... Suspect Advocaat is thinking penalties already. Not the best part of the Dutch's game.

Have to say, Chelsea fans will love Robben. He seems unorthodox but has great ball control and finds his way through more often than not.

Van Nistelrooj strikes me as a player that you would hate to play against. But he impresses me with how little space he needs to score.

It was a well matched game.. And actually I thought well refereed. No controversy..

As I said earlier a very tactical game. With any look, this game could have broken open and been very different.

Don't know the name of the play-by-play guy today; but, he had some classic lines.

His best I think had to be:

(About a Swedish shot on net)

"He tried to ricochet it through a forest of legs and it was cleared by the defender built like a tree, Jaap Stam" (may not have this totally right but it's close)

(on a Swedish corner kick inside the last 10 minutes of regulation time)

"A goal at this time would be advantageous" (then after the corner kick flies away harmlessly)

"A decent corner kick would have been advantageous as well"

(after Ibrahimovic's PK) "He Beckamed it"

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Don't know the name of the play-by-play guy today; but, he had some classic lines.

His best I think had to be:

(About a Swedish shot on net)

"He tried to ricochet it through a forest of legs and it was cleared by the defender built like a tree, Jaap Stam" (may not have this totally right but it's close)

(on a Swedish corner kick inside the last 10 minutes of regulation time)

"A goal at this time would be advantageous" (then after the corner kick flies away harmlessly)

"A decent corner kick would have been advantageous as well"

(after Ibrahimovic's PK) "He Beckamed it"

I believe the commentator was Gary Bloom today.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

I believe the commentator was Gary Bloom today.

He's the only commentator(or human being)I know to have ever used the word crestfallen.He used it once today and the other day he used to desscribe the Italians after they were eliminated.

Dispondent? Is that right? Something like that. He's rather fond of that one as well.

Love those little "thinking aloud" digs he throws in. Love them. They're usualy the sort that don't dumb down the commentary any but are still pretty odvious conclusions. Takes a talent to say the odvious while still giving your listener some credit. Nice when you can laugh at yourself too.

Disappointed with the match for the most part. Nerves I'm guessing.

Will never get used to players going down in a wreck whenever they get a little bump or interference around the penalty area.

I'll tell you what though, if Ruud was gabbing at me for wanting him carded because of his diving for a penalty there would be some highlights for Skysports unsuitable for family viewing. Boy, I'd tear him a new one. Make this new one an exit only though.

Archived