What happens when a woman gets knighted?

JayWay

The wife of a "Sir" is often called "Lady" though. Officially it's only the wife of a Lord, but they usually extend this to the wife of a "Sir" unofficially. Don't know if they have a term for the husband of a "Dame" tho. Thank God MacKenzie King got rid of heraldic honours for Canadians, interesting that the Aussies and Kiwis still have them.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The wife of a "Sir" is often called "Lady" though. Officially it's only the wife of a Lord, but they usually extend this to the wife of a "Sir" unofficially. Don't know if they have a term for the husband of a "Dame" tho. Thank God MacKenzie King got rid of heraldic honours for Canadians, interesting that the Aussies and Kiwis still have them.

Aussies and Kiwis would see such Knighthoods as honors well deserved recognition. Something the countries can be proud of.

I don't see why that shouldn't be the problem here.

"Sir Wayne Gretzky"...has a bit of a ring to it, no?

I seem to recall reading that the Kiwis did away with the knighthoods recently, don't know about the Australians.

It's a bit of a double standard, since politicians still keep the titles "Honourable" and "Right Honourable". In the case of PM's, they get the title for life, if I recall correctly.

I'm trying to think about how to relate this to Canadian soccer, but I can't. Sorry. (Dame Charmaine Hoooper?)

Archived