what if segota

snake

what if branko segota had gone to europe when the NASL folded instead of going the indoor route.apparently he was the greatest north american player to ever be developed in the NASL.i believe he led the NASL in goals when he was only twenty.anyone with insights on segota during his prime.

Guest Jeffery S.

What we really have to wonder is what would have happened if he hadn't sat on the bench in Mexico 86 and had got some serious playing time. I am sure he would be the leading Canadian scorer in a World Cup right now. As is, they are all tied at zero.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

What we really have to wonder is what would have happened if he hadn't sat on the bench in Mexico 86 and had got some serious playing time. I am sure he would be the leading Canadian scorer in a World Cup right now. As is, they are all tied at zero.

Wasn't a big reason Branko did not get much playing time because he was playing indoors until just before the World Cup (no time to acclimatize to the altitude)?

Its been a long time since 1986 but I seem to recall it the same way. It was very frustrating all the crap surrounding the players who played indoor with respect to availability to the national team and being properly prepared for the MNT for the WC. As result there were strong concerns that we were not fielding our best team and that furthermore many talented players were taking the indoor route professionally. None the less, Tony Waiters style had alot to do with it the way we played in Mexico.

I couldn't believe how we had our priorities all backwards. Its as if a stupid indoor Championship was more important than the WC. I suppose that one of the benefits of currently having all our players in Europe means that the prestige of signifiance of the WC doesn't get lost in the minds of our players. Contrast that to 1986 where all of our players were domestically based and the WC probably still a foreign phenomena to the soccer leagues (indoor especialy)and the much of the public in North America.

I never cared much for the indoor game from that time and onward and I don't think that I would ever pay to go to watch indoor soccer.

BY the way, I believe that Segota did play in Mexico 86, comming on as a sub for a few games.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

BY the way, I believe that Segota did play in Mexico 86, comming on as a sub for a few games.

You are right, he came on as a sub for all 3 matches, replacing James each time.

01.06.86 (16.00) Leon, Estadio Sergio Leon

FRA - CAN 1:0 (0:0)

(-36000) Silva CHI, Ulloa COS, Méndez GUA

FRA: Bats - Amoros, Battiston, Bossis, Tusseau - Fernandez, Tigana,

Platini ©, Giresse - Papin, Rocheteau (69 Stopyra)

CAN: Dolan - Lenarduzzi, Samuel, Bridge, Wilson © - Ragan, James (82 Segota),

Norman, Sweeney (54 Lowery) - Valentine, Vrablic

1:0 Papin 79 h

--------------------------------------------------------------------

06.06.86 (12.00) Irapuato, Estadio Revolución

HUN - CAN 2:0 (1:0)

(-14000) Al-Sharif SYR, Bambridge AUS, Petroviæ JUG

HUN: Szendrei - Sallai, Garaba, Varga, Kardos - Bognár, Nagy (c - 63 Dajka),

Détári, Burcsa (29 Róth) - Kiprich, Esterházy

CAN: Lettieri - Lenarduzzi, Samuel, Bridge, Wilson (c - 41 Sweeney) - Ragan,

James (56 Segota), Norman, Valentine - Gray, Vrablic

1:0 Esterházy 2, 2:0 Détári 76

booked: Sweeney, Lenarduzzi

sent off: Sweeney (86)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09.06.86 (12.00) Irapuato, Estadio Revolución

ZSR - CAN 2:0 (0:0)

(+14000) Traoré MLI, González PAR, Al-Shanar ARS

ZSR: Chanov - Morozov, Bubnov, Kuznetsov, Bal - Aleinikov, Litovchenko,

Rodionov, Yevtushenko - Protasov (57 Belanov), Blokhin (c - 61 Zavarov)

CAN: Lettieri - Lenarduzzi, Samuel, Bridge, Wilson © - Ragan, James

(65 Segota), Norman, Valentine - Gray (69 Pakos), Mitchell

1:0 Blokhin 59, 2:0 Zavarov 75

Branko wasn't from BC. Tino (Montreal) was benched for Dolan. Both Branko and Tino were from Quebec. Branko was by far our best scoring weapon at the time and when he did come off the bench against the USSR and Hungry gave Canada that "Oh my god- they moved the ball into the attacking 3rd" that Igor Vrablic lacked.

Tony Waiters was a out of league as Bobby later was.

Branko wasn't from BC. Tino (Montreal) was benched for Dolan. Both Branko and Tino were from Quebec. Branko was by far our best scoring weapon at the time and when he did come off the bench against the USSR and Hungry gave Canada that "Oh my god- they moved the ball into the attacking 3rd" that Igor Vrablic lacked.

Tony Waiters was a out of league as Bobby later was.

Archived