Euro 2004 - Portugal-Greece (R)

Canuck Oranje

Final: Adidas 2, Nike 1

Well, as a former defensive fulback, I enjoyed this match. Was slightly hoping for Portugal, but glad to see that that smug

Figo (altho' he showed flashes of brilliance at the end) had another comeuppance. Has the Golden Generation turned to the Generation of Shat?

Portugal seemed too nervous at the beginning, not inspired enough in the middle and too frustrated at the end. Greece was really solid, playing tight as a unit and winning the one-on-ones. At least Portugal have a coach in Scolari who was willing to make adjustments soon, unlike that uninspired Erickson who lost it against Brazil in 2002 (and unlike Holger). I expect that he will start Deco and Cristiano, and put in a new keeper and some defensive changes for the second match.

Couto, Costinha, Simao and Pauleta were all totally crap, they should be replaced for the next match.

All is not lost for the home side, Portugal may be shocked into two wins to advance. Let's hope for a draw between Russia and Spain today. Have to say I'm happy even if cheering for Portugal, as Greece was also a favourite from this Group.

On another front: Carl Fletcher is really having a tough time on air. I hope he finds his feet soon. I hold out hope because Craig Forest struggled at first, as well. We all know what a fine broadcaster he has turned out to be (that's not sarcasm).

Even as someone of Dutch background, I will agree that the Dutch are capable of producing crap. But the depth and quality of individual players is higher than Portugal and thus the potential for a good game is also high.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

Portugal look like the most over-rated team in the world.

...Until the Netherlands play.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

On another front: Carl Fletcher is really having a tough time on air. I hope he finds his feet soon. I hold out hope because Craig Forest struggled at first, as well. We all know what a fine broadcaster he has turned out to be (that's not sarcasm).

And on that note, I also want to commend Dave Randorf on doing a good job filling in for Vic "Roto-Rooter" Rauter today. Dave isn't usually a footy/soccer guy, but has carried ihmself quite well with names, showing an understanding and being prepared, etc...

AH I'm so happy the Pork Chops lost:) eventhough I got pork and cheese friends :) but yeah the streets of mississauga are quiet this afternoon :) lets hope Italy looses and it stays quiet.Oh yeah guess what the Porks chops can celebrate after a Brazil win either cause this is EURO ahhh life is good :) heheheh

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Final: Adidas 2, Nike 1

Well, as a former defensive fulback, I enjoyed this match. Was slightly hoping for Portugal, but glad to see that that smug

Figo (altho' he showed flashes of brilliance at the end) had another comeuppance. Has the Golden Generation turned to the Generation of Shat?

Portugal seemed too nervous at the beginning, not inspired enough in the middle and too frustrated at the end. Greece was really solid, playing tight as a unit and winning the one-on-ones. At least Portugal have a coach in Scolari who was willing to make adjustments soon, unlike that uninspired Erickson who lost it against Brazil in 2002 (and unlike Holger). I expect that he will start Deco and Cristiano, and put in a new keeper and some defensive changes for the second match.

Couto, Costinha, Simao and Pauleta were all totally crap, they should be replaced for the next match.

All is not lost for the home side, Portugal may be shocked into two wins to advance. Let's hope for a draw between Russia and Spain today. Have to say I'm happy even if cheering for Portugal, as Greece was also a favourite from this Group.

well they can't replae their entire team! But yea they definitly playce like junk out there. I was dissapointed by ronaldo until he scored his goal there at the end....it was a nice one. Greece deserved the win thgo, they played well as a team and put in a couple nice goals. They're goalie played well too i think

I didn't think Greece looked that great. Portugal probably deserved to at least gain a draw. It's not every game that Ferreira makes a gaff like that one that led to the Greeks first goal, so I hope/expect normality to be restored next game!

Okay, here's one for the "Gee I Hate It When That Happens Department"...........[:o)]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Euro-Portugal like an ugly girlfriend, says Scolari

By Brian Homewood

ALCOCHETE, Portugal, June 19 (Reuters) - Spending 20 days with the Portuguese team this month was like seeing a girlfriend in the harsh morning light for the first time and realising she was ugly, coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said on Saturday.

Scolari spent 18 months training his side for the European Championship, then made three significant changes to his team for last Wednesday's 2-0 win over Russia after they lost 2-1 to Greece in their opening match.

"I'd only ever had two or three days with the players," said the Brazilian coach when asked why he made three major changes to his side for the second Group A match against Russia.

"Those 20 days were the first time I had the chance to spend a long time with the team.

"It was like going out with a girlfriend for five or six years, getting married and splitting up one week later.

"You sleep together, wake up and then you see what she looks like first thing in the morning -- really quite ugly."

Portugal need to beat neighbours and arch-rivals Spain in their final Group A match on Sunday to qualify for the second round.

"We're in this situation because we didn't have quality," added Scolari.

"If we had had more quality, we would already be qualified. But we didn't, so we're still fighting for our place."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4222360,00.html

Archived