Aviators acquire Lemire

They got Lemire "in return for financial compensation"???? Must have bags of money up there in Edmonton. Good luck to young Chris.

Calgary is quietly signing pros in Europe after a camp in Frankfurt. Should be strong up the middle with an experienced European keeper, a Dutch pro in midfield and a heart-throb striker from the eastern bloc.

Dang, shouldn't they be spending money on their LOGO instead of expensive scouting trips????

They are signing Cdn talent. With the quota system in place with the Aviators and to a lesser extent Calgary, the Alberta talent is kind of tapped out. You have to realize that there are probably 3 times as many soccer players in GTA than in all of the prairies and we have two teams competing head to head for that prairie talent.

The bottom line is that they have severe budget constraints compared to Vancouver and Montreal and probably Edmonton, but they are trying to be competitive.

Now that there are 5 A-League teams to choose from, I don't know which to cheer for. I suppose geographically, Calgary is closest. I also like the way they operate in Vancouver and Montreal. I guess I'll just jump on the bandwagon of the team that wins the most.

Uh, he was transferred to Edmonton! Happens all the time in soccer, can't see why anyone would be ragging on the Aviators for this.

Taty is on trial with a "Second Division Swedish team" according to Desantis. HOWEVER, no one knows if that means 2nd or 3rd tier.

What are you talking about Daniel? The press release says he went to Edmonton for financial considerations. 'Traded', 'transferred' - what's the difference? But I don't see anybody ragging on the Aviators in the posts in this thread (just me complaining that they have too much money).

I would rather Calgary spend money on scouts looking for top notch player then a logo. I think the people of Calgary would rather have a winning team rather then a nice looking team. But couldn't they do both..lol, anyone could make a better logo then that!!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

What are you talking about Daniel? The press release says he went to Edmonton for financial considerations. 'Traded', 'transferred' - what's the difference? But I don't see anybody ragging on the Aviators in the posts in this thread (just me complaining that they have too much money).

Oops, guess I should read the messages more closely... [:I]

I thought people were ragging that Edmonton should spend money on the logo...

Since they could've had any of my logos for beer money I don't think that was the issue.

The cracks about spending more money on the "important stuff" does bug me a bit though. I get the impression that I (and others) are being labled as the "fashion police" or something.. more worried about if the shorts and shirts match current fashion trends than if the footy's any good.

I think a lot of people here misunderstood the outcry at the crap logo the Mustangs are using. Very little of it had to do with the sheer asthetics of it.

The problem was what the logo signifies.... a half-assed job on the logo says "we're a half-assed team". Sports are a business which rely on fan support. No one's arguing that it's not crucial to field a good skill level team, but don't discount the power of good marketing. Soccer doesn't have the established roots here that other sports do, so it's crucial to generate fan support and interest.. and your logo and overall corporate appearance are your "public face".

I'd say everyone on this board is a die-hard canadian soccer fan.. and when it comes down to it, the Calgary Voyageurs will support their Mustangs if the logo looks like a horse's ass. I just think that the Calgary brass is missing out on a huge opportunity to establish a good marekting and merchandising base.... oh wait.. that's not important.. just ask the NBA (it there was ever an example of a lame game with a marketing juggernaut...).

There's an awful lot of thought that goes into a good corporate logo. Don't believe me? Just look for the arrow (->) in the Fed Ex logo next time you see it. That subliminal message isn't just an accident, and Fed Ex isn't a huge company by accident either.

Archived