Hirschfeld loaned to Gillingham

DJT

Originally posted on the other forum by Stu - Feb 27, 2004, 4:32 PM</u>

27 Feb 2004 16:45

Goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld has joined Gillingham on a one-month loan deal.

The Canadian international, who joined Spurs from Calgary Storm in August 2002, is available for the Division One clash against Crystal Palace tomorrow.

Orginally posted by Stu - 02/27/2004 : 17:01:49</u>

From Gillinghams official site:

New Keeper signs:

Gills have signed Spurs keeper Lars Hirschfeld on loan in time for tomorrow's league clash at Cyrstal Palace.

Manager Andy Hessenthaler was already looking for back-up for the injured Jason Brown and the inexperienced Bertrand Bossu, and Arsenal's Rami Shaaban seemed the likely candidate.

But the situation became desperate today with the news that Bossu had broken a finger and the club acted quickly to secure Hirschfeld's services.

He has signed for a month, up to and including the date of the game at West Ham on 27th March, and goes straight into the team for tomorrow's game at Selhurst Park.

The Canadian has played ten times for his country, including two friendlies against the Czech Republic and Ireland in November.

Gills Chairman Paul Scally said: "Bertrand has done well for us in the last two games but we knew we needed extra cover. It's just typical of our recent luck that Bertrand should get injured like this.

"However we have managed to secure the services of another Premiership keeper, following the month spent here by Nico Vaessen, and Hess tells me the lads are really up for tomorrow's game at Palace."

Can anyone tell me how Gillingham's kit compares to Tottenham's?? Is this a step up for Lars or will he need a makeover to get back to the Premiership??

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

how their kit compares? who cares what their uniform looks like.

A little sarcasm?? Of course people care!! BTW, loved your post about the 'gorgeous' Ajax away kits in the miscellaneous forum.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Can anyone tell me how Gillingham's kit compares to Tottenham's?? Is this a step up for Lars or will he need a makeover to get back to the Premiership??

Nevermind Lars' makeover, the more important question is does the cow you are milking this joke for all it's worth need one? [:o)]

This realy is turning into a **** season for Lars. At least 'Spurs are making him available, not that I think they have much choice.

With a little luck maybe he'll play his way into a job a Gillingham.

AND I think Lars' accute fashion sense will reveal for all the world tomorrow a wonderful eye for the coming spring colours with his new 'keepers shirt which I have on good authority he is calling Freedom for Iraq's Children. That's already more than I should have said. Don't ask me for more. My lips are sealed.

Looks like Lars played well today!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=109091&cc=5901

Danny Butterfield ensured in-form Palace overcame a sending-off and a superb display by Gillingham goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld to win for the sixth time in seven games.

It was a deserved 1-0 victory for Iain Dowie's side, who dominated the game but were constantly thwarted by Canadian shot-stopper Hirschfeld, on loan from Tottenham, although he could do nothing to prevent Palace from avenging their 1-0 defeat in the reverse fixture at Priestfield.

Palace midfielder Michael Hughes had the first shot after four minutes, firing wide from long range, while Gillingham's Nicky Southall brought opposing goalkeeper Cedric Berthelin into action soon afterwards but his shot was comfortably held.

The first clear-cut chance came after 13 minutes to the Eagles' top scorer Andrew Johnson, who had to pass a fitness test on a twisted ankle to play. He got in a shot from close range but it was parried to safety by Hirschfeld.

Johnson was starting to look particularly dangerous and he got on the end of a Danny Granville cross on the quarter-hour mark but his effort went wide, though there was a scare for the hosts three minutes later when Berthelin had to be alert to keep out a header by Gills player-manager Andy Hessenthaler.

Neil Shipperley was not leaving it entirely to strike partner Johnson to pose Palace's goal threat and he had a shot blocked by Barry Ashby after 27 minutes, and Hirschfeld had to be lively again to prevent Julian Gray from opening the scoring with a header.

Hirschfeld, deputising for injured Jason Brown, was having a blinding half and made another fine stop from Johnson on the half-hour mark, while Berthelin, not to be outdone, kept out a fierce 25-yard Rod Wallace strike as the half drew to a close.

The second 45 minutes began in the same vein with Hirschfeld denying Johnson again, but then came a twist which saw Palace reduced to 10 men but Gillingham fail to capitalise on a controversial penalty award.

Mark Hudson was adjudged to have committed a professional foul on Mamady Sidibe and was sent off. Southall took the spot-kick and it was pushed against the crossbar by Berthelin. A retake was ordered and this time Southall hit the crossbar without any touch from the goalkeeper.

The miss clearly rocked the visitors for in the 53rd minute they went behind, Butterfield lashing the ball home after it had been only half cleared.

Gillingham had not scored in their previous three games and it was easy to see why as they struggled to create any real opportunities to equalise apart from a Sidibe header which was saved by Berthelin, and another save by Hirschfeld from Shipperley was required to keep the scoreline at 1-0.

As I posted in the "Canucks in Action" thread:

Hey hey!! I had no idea Lars would be playing against Palace today. I would have listened to that match. Would have been hard to decide who to cheer for though. Actually, a 1-0 Palace result is probably the best I could wish for. :D

From the BBC report:

Hirschfield, on loan from Tottenham, continually thwarted the Eagles but could do little about the goal.

The first clear-cut chance came after 13 minutes to Palace striker Andrew Johnson but his shot was parried to safety by Hirschfeld.

Neil Shipperley had a shot blocked by Barry Ashby after 27 minutes, and Hirschfeld had to be lively again to prevent Julian Gray from opening the scoring with a header.

Hirschfeld denied Johnson straight after the break before the turning point in the match.

Even the result is not too bad. Gillingham is a relegation zone team while Palace could very likely get into first division playoffs.

Well, Lars needs some more time proving himself. He did decent with Luton last year in the short time he played there and if he does well here, he should be able to stick around in Div 1 next year.

It will be amazing to have 2 or 3 match fit keepers this time around in Onstad, Lars, and the guy in Sweden.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Forgot to say, but I think the next match for Gillingham is Wigan !!! Lars versus Devos!

Realy? Well, that's hot!

Have to edit my headline then. Latic's Canadian's header sinks rival Canuck's brilliant afternoon in net as Gills go down 1-nil:)

Where's the internet radio???!!!

Hess praise for keeper

Player-manager Andy Hessenthaler praised the debut performance of Lars Hirschfeld despite Gillingham's 1-0 defeat at 10-man Crystal Palace.

On-loan Tottenham keeper Hirschfeld, deputising for the injured Jason Brown, pulled off a string of fantastic saves to deny Palace, before a 53rd-minute strike from Danny Butterfield sealed the contest.

But Hessenthaler was pleased with the 25-year-old's display, particularly given his lack of match-fitness.

He said: "Lars was outstanding for us - especially as we only picked him up on the motorway on the way down. He hasn't even trained with us, but he was excellent today."

This article has the all important picture of Lars wearing the Gills kit and can be seen at

http://gillingham.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=934&p=2&stid=8340349

Staying positive Hessenthaler: We can build on the performance

By Keith Pestell

Date: 28/2/2004

Following Saturday's 1-0 defeat by Crystal Palace Andy Hessenthaler thought his side deserved something out of the match, but admitted that there was plenty in the performance to build on. He also praised loan 'keeper Lars Hirschfeld who he described as "outstanding".

Palace started brightly but on-loan Gillingham 'keeper Hirschfeld continued to keep them out with a stunning first half display.

Neil Shipperley teed up strike partner Andrew Johnson but his close range strike was well saved by the Gills stopper before Johnson then fired just wide.

Lars Hirschfeld impressed all on his debut

The visitors' run of just one win from the last six has seen them fall deep into relegation danger but they nearly drew first blood on 17 minutes when Andy Hessenthaler's well directed header was superbly palmed away by Cedric Berthelin.

Palace continued to dominate and on 27 minutes they thought they had stolen ahead. A looping centre found its way to Julian Gray but his goalbound header was brilliantly turned away by Hirschfeld.

A minute later the Canadian international tipped over a stinging Johnson volley following more great work by Shipperley.

The second half exploded into controversy just three minutes after the re-start when Hudson was dismissed for hauling down Sidibe in the box, with ref Mike Prosser having no option but to award a spot kick to the Gills.

Southall stepped up, but after Berthelin saved his first effort Prosser demanded the kick to be retaken for encroachment. Southall could only smash his second effort against the crossbar and three minutes later Butterfield made them pay with a brilliant opener.

Nicky Southall missed his second half spot kick - twice!

A long throw caused havoc in the Gills box and, after Leon Johnson headed clear, Butterfield stepped up to crack a volley past Hirschfeld high into the top corner.

Despite pushing hard at the death, the Gills could not find a way past Berthelin as they slumped deeper into relegation danger.

Following the match player-manager Andy Hessenthaler remained upbeat and told the PA: "It was a real kick in the teeth to miss a penalty twice but that is the way it is going for us at the moment."

"I thought we deserved something but there was plenty in that performance to build on for the battle ahead. I was disappointed with our defending for the goal but it was a cracking strike. We are not scoring goals but I am confident we can pull through."

Commenting on the performance of Lars Hirschfeld, who made his Gills debut, he added: "Lars was outstanding for us - especially as we only picked him up on the motorway on the way down. He hasn't even trained with us but he was excellent today."

With Nottingham Forest winning the gap between Gillingham and Derby County, the side now occupying the first relegation spot, is decreased to only 3 points.

Iain Dowie hopes his side can now push for a play-off spot

Crystal Palace manager Iain Dowie is hoping the victory is another step towards a play-off spot for the Eagles. Following the match he told said: "I didn't think it was a penalty and I will have to look at it again but full credit to everyone."

"We battled really hard, especially with 10 men, and this is a massive result for us. We showed great character and I am so pleased at the way we bounced back after last weekend."

He concluded: "It is very disappointing to potentially lose Mark Hudson through suspension but we deserved it today and always looked sharp."

A full GillsConnect match report and exclusive action shots can be found here. Crystal Palace's view on the match can be found on the Eagles Rivals.net site here.

Archived