Yarn Power

Vancouver Courier

January 14, 2004

http://www.vancourier.com/013204/sports.html

Call it yarn power.

Vancouver Whitecaps' midfielder Brittany Timko revealed what went on in a players-only meeting during last fall's Women's World Cup.

Captain Charmaine Hooper and Andrea Neil called the players together in a bid to prevent the team from going home after the first round. The team suffered an opening-day loss to Germany and managed an unimpressive win over Argentina, but needed a win over Japan to advance.

"Andrea brought out a big ball of yarn," Timko said during the B.C. Soccer Association's annual SoccerFest last Saturday. "She took the ball of yarn and threw it at someone on the team and said something positive about them."

The ball of yarn was passed at random around the room until all the players had a chance to motivate their teammates. Then everyone cut pieces of yarn and tied them around their wrists in a show of unity.

"Andrea said we need each other to win, this is not an individual sport, we all need each other to win."

Canada eventually finished a best-ever fourth in the 16-team tournament.

Oh, how men's and women's locker rooms differ.

I can just see it now:

deVos: Here Pesch, I thing you're a swell guy (throws him ball of yarn)

Pesch: Dwayne, I love your dreads (throws the ball of yarn)

de Rosario: Holger...ummm...Holger...ummm....

Wow, I actually took a shot at Holger! I kid, I kid....

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Oh, how men's and women's locker rooms differ.

I can just see it now:

deVos: Here Pesch, I thing you're a swell guy (throws him ball of yarn)

Pesch: Dwayne, I love your dreads (throws the ball of yarn)

de Rosario: Holger...ummm...Holger...ummm....

Holger: Frank you`re a brave man (throws the ball of yarn)

Frank Yallop: Pat , I loved the chinese food you made at your house in San Jose (Dero didn`t because he eats vital cuisine!), you`ll be my starting goalkeeper no matter what. (throws the ball of yarn)

Pat Onstad: Bircham, I admire your commitment and identification with our Country (pointing at his Queen`s Park rangers jersey under his Canada jersey) (throws the ball of yarn)

Marc Bircham:

...........................................................................hahaha!!..I was bored I guess!!

Archived