Donations to the Voyageurs

hamiltonfan

Why don’t the voyageurs have a donation center on the main site? With the number of members growing I think that we, the voyageurs, could make a fair bit of money that could be used on different things. One of the things we could use them for is ads or something to promote the Voyageurs, maybe in newspapers or something. What do you guys think?

What you're suggesting would involve formalizing the Voyageurs in ways many of us don't want.

I believe getting organized and more professional would be a good thing, but let me assure you H-fan that there would be an ugly and divisive war before anything like that got done.

not being an "offical" voyageur maybe i shouldn't add in my 2 cents. But im sick, and bored so i will n e ways. It would be pretty difficult to let 1 person handle the bank account and all the money stuyff, when most of the other voyageurs have not met the person outside of the internet on this board. That's a lot of trust to put nto someone you've never met.

In order to properly allow donations, and for us to issue tax receipts we would need to become incorporated - an expensive proposition.

Unless we have someone here that is a registered CMA, and we have another person who is a lawyer to help us with the incorporation, explain benifits, drawbacks, etc, we just won't go that route for now - it's too expensive year to year. I think we will revisit this issue in the new year as Canada's WC qualifying approaches.

Here is an idea. There are some voyageurs who are lawyers. Most lawyers handle Trust accounts for their clients. These Trust accounts are very closely scrutinized and audited to the last penny. Having all that mechanism in place maybe one of these voyageurs-lawyers can set up a similar Trust account where the rest of us can make direct deposits to it. The money will be safe.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

In order to properly allow donations, and for us to issue tax receipts we would need to become incorporated - an expensive proposition.

Unless we have someone here that is a registered CMA, and we have another person who is a lawyer to help us with the incorporation, explain benifits, drawbacks, etc, we just won't go that route for now - it's too expensive year to year. I think we will revisit this issue in the new year as Canada's WC qualifying approaches.

You need not be incorporated to issue tax receipts, you need to be given Charitable status by the CCRA. That ain't easy to get.

Archived