Canada - Czech Pregame

Gordon

OK, mucho pregame, but what the heck? I was just perusing the standings and it would appear that Canada will likley need a 2 goal win to be able to advance as one of the 4 3rd place teams. This will become clearer in about 90 minutes with the last of the second round games being played as I write.

Possible? I think so. But not easy for sure, and the Czech's are unbeated to this point. Canada will need to play an offensive formation, but I'd rather see a 3-5-2 than a 3-4-3. I am not sure what is up with Belotte. Only 63 mins of playing time thus far speaks to a lack of impression, I think. A start for Godfrey would seem in order.

Here are today's results, as posted by Reza on the other board:

England 0 - 1 Egypt

Japan 1 - 4 Colombia

Colombia and Egypt have 4 points

Japan has 3 points

England has 0 point

Ivory Coast 2 - 2 Ireland

Mexico 1 - 1 Saudi Arabia

Ivory Coast and Ireland have 4 points

Mexico and SA have 1 point

Germany 3 - 1 U.S.A.

Korea Republic 0 - 1 Paraguay

everyone is tied at 3

We need to beat the Czechs & finish ahead of two other 3rd place teams.

If we pick up a win over the Czechs and neither Mexico nor Saudi Arabia win their respective final matches, we will finish ahead of that third place team no matter, regardless of whether we win by 1 goal or two goals. That is one possibility.

One of the problems groups for us is the Americans group, as no matter what happens there will be a 3rd place team with at least 3 points, same as we would be if we beat the Czechs. It would have to come down to goal differential, and we are minus 3 at the moment (though if we win on Thursday that would have to be reduced to at minimum minus 2).

I believe the UAE are currently in third in their group (with Panama in last), with a goal differential of minus 2. If they were to lose their final match to Burkina Faso they would end up with 3 points & at least a minus 3. That scenario (along with the Mexico/Saudi one) might be our most realistic one to hope for, and frankly, far, far, far stranger things have happened.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Here are today's results, as posted by Reza on the other board:

England 0 - 1 Egypt

Japan 1 - 4 Colombia

Colombia and Egypt have 4 points

Japan has 3 points

England has 0 point

Ivory Coast 2 - 2 Ireland

Mexico 1 - 1 Saudi Arabia

Ivory Coast and Ireland have 4 points

Mexico and SA have 1 point

Germany 3 - 1 U.S.A.

Korea Republic 0 - 1 Paraguay

everyone is tied at 3

We need to beat the Czechs & finish ahead of two other 3rd place teams.

If we pick up a win over the Czechs and neither Mexico nor Saudi Arabia win their respective final matches, we will finish ahead of that third place team no matter, regardless of whether we win by 1 goal or two goals. That is one possibility.

One of the problems groups for us is the Americans group, as no matter what happens there will be a 3rd place team with at least 3 points, same as we would be if we beat the Czechs. It would have to come down to goal differential, and we are minus 3 at the moment (though if we win on Thursday that would have to be reduced to at minimum minus 2).

I believe the UAE are currently in third in their group (with Panama in last), with a goal differential of minus 2. If they were to lose their final match to Burkina Faso they would end up with 3 points & at least a minus 3. That scenario (along with the Mexico/Saudi one) might be our most realistic one to hope for, and frankly, far, far, far stranger things have happened.

In Group F, one of Japan or England will advance ahead of us barring a goal scoring explosion on our part as both are ahead of us in goal diff and they play each other. A draw advances Japan for Sure, a one goal win by England puts them on 3 points with a -1 goal diff.

The American group is tough fo us, and almost assuredly one them will advance.

Other than that, barring some really odd results, a 2 goal win will do it for sure, one goal would give us a good chance at it. The worry, I guess, might be that the teams already through play their squad players and the lowere ranked teams pull off some "upsets". Particularly we need to see the UAE and the Saudi groups follow form. If Mali and Uzbekistan lose to Argentina and Spain respectively, then that is a third group that could be passed with a Candian win. But, first chore is to beat the Czechs.

Actually a correction there. Japan has already played England and beat them 1-0. They are playing Egypt while England is playing Colombia. So our best bet would be for Egypt and Colombia to beat their respective opponents and have Ireland and Ivory Coast defeat their opponents as well.

All of that plus us winning a game.

I know little about Burkina Faso (except that the nation was once called Upper Volta), but if they beat the Slovak side that beat up the UAE team 4-1, I have to like their chances at also beating the UAE, giving us another option (unless Panama upset the Slovaks to give them 3 points - but I'm assuming that if Panama & the UAE finish tied with points, UAE would be considered the 3rd place team since they won the head-to-head tie breaker).

If Canada was to beat the Czech the two important games if Canada advances will be the results of both groups a and b matches. Burkina Faso must win their game against UAE and Argentina must beat Mali, I can see many ties coming from groups d , e, and f, in the final game of this tourament.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Actually a correction there. Japan has already played England and beat them 1-0. They are playing Egypt while England is playing Colombia. So our best bet would be for Egypt and Colombia to beat their respective opponents and have Ireland and Ivory Coast defeat their opponents as well.

All of that plus us winning a game.

Oh, these aging eyes. Standing corrected.

Gordon- I wish i could see it that way to many things would have to happen. Unless I am wrong on my conculsion and outcome of groups d,e and f. Surely my money would be on a tie in gorup d between egypt and Japan, and in group e Ireland and Mexico or a win for Ireland. Group f all of them most likely will tie and all advance from that group leaving one spot open for Canada.

Mexico, england, saudi arabia, will be out as of friday night.

Germany Paraguay, US, Korea, will advance in gorup F and Ireland Cote D'Ivoire in group e Columbia and Egypt and Japan form group D leaving only one spot open, As I expect argentina to beat MAli bad and even though they have 3 points will lose out on + -. and spain will win against Uzbekistan So the group to watch for I would say would be Group A the last spot open and its going to be close any TIE in this group would end Canada chance even if the win against the Czech.... but mircales do happen.

ANY thoughts

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Gordon- Group f all of them most likely will tie and all advance from that group leaving one spot open for Canada.

ANY thoughts

I think only third place finishers are eligible to advance, thus, only 3 can advance from group F. One of Paraguay, US, Germany or Korea will not advance.

Just to keep in mind, as it stands right now (i.e. assuming 0-0 draws in all the final matches), the 3rd place qualifiers would be:

Germany

Mali

United Arab Emirates

Japan

and the Czech Republic and Mexico/Saudi Arabia would not proceed to the next round.

In other words, at this point the Czechs have everything to play for.

Unfortunately in some ways, not all the final matchups are played at the same time, so what the Czechs need to do will depend on the results of the matches played earlier on Thursday.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

If Canada was to beat the Czech the two important games if Canada advances will be the results of both groups a and b matches. Burkina Faso must win their game against UAE and Argentina must beat Mali, I can see many ties coming from groups d , e, and f, in the final game of this tourament.

Actually, in Group B, Burkina Faso does not need to beat UAE in order for Canada to advance. If Canada wins and Mali loses by a combined goal differential of 3 or more, Canada can advance - if neither of Mexico or Saudi Arabia win in Group E (against Ireland and Cote d'Ivoire respectively), and if Uzbekistan do not win against Spain in Group B.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Actually, in Group B, Burkina Faso does not need to beat UAE in order for Canada to advance. If Canada wins and Mali loses by a combined goal differential of 3 or more, Canada can advance - if neither of Mexico or Saudi Arabia win in Group E (against Ireland and Cote d'Ivoire respectively), and if Uzbekistan do not win against Spain in Group b

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SSTACKHO----I think your mistaken Burkina faso must win agaisnt UAE if a tie or better for UAE a thrid place will come from this group A, MAli will lose to Argentina the question wil it be better then a one goal differnce! if they loose by more than 2 goals then Canada has another spot open in Group B,

If this correct as Gordon said that only 3rd place finshers can qualify in the next round then in group f another spot will open for Canada.

But Like I said the only way if Canada was to get into the next round will have to be from Groups A and B should any of theses teams tie or win Canada hopes are doomed regardless if they win the czechs by two goals. UAE and MAli must not get a tie or better and Uzbekistan cannot win their match to agaisnt spain.

They other groups will mean nothing trust me there will be many ties in the remaining groups d e and f. which will not help Canada at all. At expect 4 ties from the six games played from these groups is more likely to happen.

True, if Burkina Faso do not beat UAE, then the 3rd place team from Group A should get through to the next round. However, Canada only has to get ahead of two other 3rd place teams in order to qualify.

For example:

- in Group E, if neither Mexico or Saudi Arabia win, and,

- in Group D, if Egypt beats Japan, and England doesn't beat Columbia,

- a 1-goal Canada win would put them ahead of the 3rd place finishers from both of these groups

All hypothetical situations, of course.

On the topic, what's the deal with England?? Losses to Japan and Egypt? I guess they don't have many of their best young players?

don't forget this possibility as well:

27 04.12.03 17:45 Sharjah ARG - MLI

28 04.12.03 20:30 Sharjah ESP - UZB

Group B

Team GP W D L GF GA +/- Pts

Argentina 2 2 0 0 4 2 2 6

Spain 2 1 0 1 3 2 1 3

Mali 2 1 0 1 3 4 -1 3

Uzbekistan 2 0 0 2 3 5 -2 0

Mali is on three points with a goal diff of -1. But they have to play Argentina in their final game. the down side is that Arg has already clinched and may not put in the best effort. But on the positive side, Arg is so strong in these touraments and they may not need their best effort to beat mali. the Uzbeks on 0 points have to play ESP who need a result to go through. So yes, we need to beat the Czechs and we'll need at least a two goals margin of victory.

There are several different scenarios that could still get Canada through if they win. I'll post some updates as to who's in and who's out as the Thursday and Friday matches progress.

For now, read this:

Canadian ambitions not deflated by defeats

(FIFA.com) 3 Dec 2003

There must have been some lightning fast runners at the Montreal school Sita-Taty Matondo was at. The Canadian winger, the player whose turn of pace left the composed and athletic Brazilian back line floundering in his wake on more than a few occasions during the first half of their opening match, claims to have been only the sixth fastest in his year. Canada, who have lost both matches in Group C so far, will be looking to the Democratic Republic of Congo-born midfielder’s speed and ability against the Czech Republic on Thursday if they are to catch up the other teams and secure an unlikely spot in the last 16.

“I think I did well in the first half against Brazil and in the second half against Australia but I couldn’t find my shooting boots,” he says with a sorrowful expression. “We have to win tomorrow (Thursday) and the whole team has to play at their best.”

With his direct style, Matondo, or “Taty”, has been closely watched by more than a few Brazilian and Australian defenders since his first burst down the line brought gasps from the Dubai crowd. After moving from the when he was 11, the player discovered the game he “loves” in Canada. Almost immediately, he impressed scouts from Montreal Impact and has moved through the club’s ranks before being called up by Canucks’ coach Dale Mitchell. Now, like many of his team-mates, he is ready to take the plunge and cross the Atlantic to the promised land of European football.

“I feel my time is running out,” the baby-faced 18-year old says. “Playing in Canada is not the same thing as in Europe. I would like to play in Belgium.”

Outstanding talent

The Democratic Republic of Congo may not have the richest footballing tradition in Africa but it has certainly supplied some outstanding players over the years. Among them are Chelsea’s Claude Makelele and Lomana Lua Lua – the striker who turns out for the same club, Newcastle United, as another Canadian player David Edgar.

“Taty’s certainly the quickest on our team,” says Edgar, when asked who was the faster. “But I’ve played against Lua Lua in training and I’d have to give it to him.”

At 16 and 1.88m, Edgar is both the youngest and tallest member of the Canadian squad. He has not played a minute of football in the UAE yet, but you would not know it from his happy, go-lucky attitude.

“It’s a great experience just to be here, to be chosen for a world cup. I would love to get on for the Czech match but how can I complain?” he says warmly. “I’ve been impressed with the lads. We kept the ball really well against Australia, Hume (Iain) scored a cracker then hit the bar and we just conceded goals from little things.

“We’ll be hoping for better things against the Czechs. It would be huge for the country if we could get the win and maybe even qualify.”

Football dream

The twinkle in Edgar’s eye hints at his story of a boy’s dream come true. Both his parents hail from Newcastle, England and his father, Eddie, even played one league game for the Magpies before they moved to Toronto nearly two decades ago. Fourteen years, most of them spent as a die-hard Newcastle United supporter, after Edgar was born, he was spotted by the famous club from the country’s north-east on a school tour of England and has gone on to gain his first professional contract.

“My mum was worried about me leaving at 14, but she accepted when I said I’d live with my gran,” he smiles, before revealing that now, two years on, he’d moved on to “digs”. “I love it! I can’t explain it to people back in Canada. We live, breathe it: football, football, football!”

Besides Lua Lua, Edgar has trained with many other first teamers.

“There are some great role models there and they’re very helpful,” he adds with a thick geordie accent. “Shearer is everybody’s idol at Newcastle – he’s a god there.”

Matondo and Edgar are two Canadian teenagers taking their first tentative pushes on the rollercoaster ride that is being a footballer. Fate, luck, character as well as ability have played and will continue to play a major role in whether they succeed or not. Points against the Czech Republic would not only be their first for two competitions but help shove football a touch more into Canada’s sporting limelight.

Archived