Re-initiate the CUSL idea???????

Luis_Rancagua

I'm far from an expert on Canadian pro soccer (I've attended exactly one game, a Winnipeg Fury match back sometime in the early 90s with my youth team, on the carpet at Winnipeg Stadium), but I don't see how a revived CUSL could be on any less stable ground than the current A-League. An 8-team league modelled after the CFL would be my preference, but anything that could get off the ground would be great.

I think the basic idea of the CUSL was to have a solid business backbone so that teams didn't have to rely so much on gate revenue. That concept I believe is still a good one but the actual plan itself needs work. I'd love to see a union of all parties involved, but the parties involved like their independence too much.

quote:Originally posted by Kibby

Ya because the strong presence of Toronto in the CFL makes that league tick.

Toronto has an a-league team they can't seem to support well.

MLS in toronto? Not any year soon.

Toronto , the centre of the you know what!!

Put an MLS TEAM in T-O, get it over with and the rest of us who don't care if we play New York or not can carry on!

Toronto in it's sports mind exists outside of Canada just watch the Toronto Sports Network (TSN) for short!

There Upper Canadian bashing done!:D

Get the CSA to bring back the Connaught Cup, make it an open cup. We have 5 A-League division 1 ( in Canada) teams add the CPSL champs and runners up same with PCSL or whatever leagues want to declare themselves as division 2 . Add also whatever teams outside of division 1 or 2 who want to challenge for the cup.

If Toronto want an MLS team that bad make then ineligable for this cup as they'll play in a foriegn countries division 1 not Canadian division 1.

Sorry just real tired of reading Canadian Leagues NEED a team in Toronto, when only Toronto says this , play in a U.S. league who cares outside of T-O.( NOTE TO SELF: lower testosterone level);)

Let's see. The sports media are centered in Toronto, as per your own admission. Canada's financial centre is, no doubt, in Toronto.

Therefore, if we want a national league (or a Canadianized MLS for that matter) to garner a) media attention, and B) national (or high-level) sponsorship, then hmmmmm maybe Toronto should be involved?

I don't blame peopel for not liking it, but let's be honest. Toronto is the centre of the country at this time. If you don't like it that's fine, but ignore Toronto at your peril. If you want Canadian soccer to succeed at a national level, you need to include Toronto just as much as Vancouver, Montreal or North Battleford.

Toronto makes Canada tick. I'm sorry if that isn't fair. I'm sorry if that bothers you. I don't blame it for causing some discontent around the country, but it's a fact and it's something others need to live with for the betterment of Canadian soccer.

quote:Originally posted by martin lechelt

To aargh1 ...

The only city in Canada that is ready for MLS is Edmonton. They have proved it time and again. They have the stadium and the bums for the seats.

Only because they have a stadium. Haven't proven dick all about being able to put bums in the seats for mens club soccer. When it comes to actually having put bums in the seats for top level mens pro soccer only Montreal and Vancouver (soccer city canada as it was called in the last issue of soccer digest magazine) can claim that.

You're wrong Krammerhead. The indoor Drillers averaged over 6000 per game, no where else in Canada would've put nearly 50,000 in the seats for a U19 girls game, and any quality men's match gets 20,000+ (50,000+ for Brazil ... not a wish ... a fact). The only reason the Driller's didn't survive in what is now MISL is that, as the only viable Canadian franchise, they needed 8000+ to make it.

You're wrong Krammerhead. The indoor Drillers averaged over 6000 per game, no where else in Canada would've put nearly 50,000 in the seats for a U19 girls game, and any quality men's match gets 20,000+ (50,000+ for Brazil ... not a wish ... a fact). The only reason the Driller's didn't survive in what is now MISL is that, as the only viable Canadian franchise, they needed 8000+ to make it.

Yeah Krammerhead....so there!!! :D

Don't compare indoor and outdoor soccer.....apples and oranges. Whitecaps had okay draws for those indoor games too. If Vancouver or Toronto had a 50,000 seat stadium for the u19 or Brazil I'm sure they'd be more than sold out.

Just as Danny Boy says, you are comparing apples and oranges. The reason nowhere else in Canada can get 50000+ for NATIONAL games against Brazil or NATIONAL games featuring the U19 (complete with givaway tickets and cheap tickets) is because nowhere else in Canada is there a stadium suitable for those NATIONAL team games.

6000 per game for the Drillers indoor? Big deal. Montreal Impact drew 7236 a game last season playing outdoors where weather, and facilities play afactor in attendance figures. Vancouvers averaged great outdoors as well.

If you want to talk great numbers how about both Montreal and Vancouver getting crowds of 50000 per game for occasional games in the NASL for CLUB soccer, not some one off NATIONAL team events.

quote:Originally posted by WilfPTheReal99

Krammerhead, someone so anti-MLS reading Soccer Digest, that's funny.

Exactly, Edmonton is no special case. Give Toronto a 50 000 seat stadium and lets see how long Vancouver will still be 'soccer city canada' hahaha!

Just like: Give Toronto a 50 000 seat retractable roof stadium, and the Argos will constantly sell-out. Uh huh. And while you're at it, have Gretzky be the team's owner along with a money launderer and a celebrity, and oh!! oh!!, maybe Muhammed Ali can show up and save the franchise...

Sorry, I'm not really anti-Toronto. But I am when people like this new poster act like they do.

Krammerhead, someone so anti-MLS reading Soccer Digest, that's funny.

Exactly, Edmonton is no special case. Give Toronto a 50 000 seat stadium and lets see how long Vancouver will still be 'soccer city canada' hahaha!

I'm not anti MLS. I plan on watching the final this weekend, and watch it the couple of times a year ABC covers it. I'm anti-fill up the voyageurs with any small little news coverage about MLS until it gets tiresome. I have no problem with MLS stories as long as it has a Canadian angle, and posts with links showing a drawing of a proposed stadium in New Jersey does not have any Canadian angle to it. What next, a post indicating how many times Landon Donavan farts during a match?

Besides, I read the magazine in the store, it's not like Soccer Digest is more than just a few pages of soccer that they expect you to pay $6 for.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Just like: Give Toronto a 50 000 seat retractable roof stadium, and the Argos will constantly sell-out. Uh huh. And while you're at it, have Gretzky be the team's owner along with a money launderer and a celebrity, and oh!! oh!!, maybe Muhammed Ali can show up and save the franchise...

Sorry, I'm not really anti-Toronto. But I am when people like this new poster act like they do.

Funny, should anyone from Ottawa be lecturing us on CFL stability? I mean, the Renegades are how old?

Funny, should anyone from Ottawa be lecturing us on CFL stability? I mean, the Renegades are how old?

...and I never suggested that Ottawa should build a 50 000 seat stadium for an expansion MLS team, therefore your point is moot.

quote:

...and I never suggested that Ottawa should build a 50 000 seat stadium for an expansion MLS team, therefore your point is moot.

Actually, I never suggested that a stadium be built for the Argos.

Or that the Argos would sell out a 50 000 seat stadium.

Or that a 50 000 seat stadium would even sell out in the first place, regardless of the sport.

So it was your point that was moot. [8]

;)AHHHHHH.......The never ending Canadian argument!

Those in Toronto say: "If we were in A MAJOR LEAGUE , we'd support it"

Those outside of T-O say "Shut-up and support what you've got"

Those in " We are the biggest and the best"

Those outside " Who cares, there's more to sport in Canada than Toronto"

Who is it that said "East is East and West is West" and never the CENTRE shall meet[:o)]

I'd just like to add my two cents to a national soccer league. Why? There is no need for a "national league". In all honesty, what we need are regional "professional leagues" to keep the costs low. why can't the east just play the east, the central play the central and the west play the west? We're an enormus country with a small population. Keep costs low and maybe have a cup to decide the national champion.

Vancouver playing Halifax for 3 points just doesn't make sense to me.

Alex

Archived