Ireland-Canada Preview

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Article from their FA site on the game, from http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/EC21E0CD-667F-4228-9512-AE59138460F8.htm

Kerr to name team in morning - 17 November 2003

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr will announce the starting XI for Tuesday's clash with Canada at Lansdowne Road on Tuesday morning as Ireland look to bounce back from their Euro 2004 disappointment (Kick off 7:30).

Just over five weeks have now elapsed since Ireland missed out on qualification for the European Championships after losing 2-0 to Switzerland and Kerr is already thinking ahead of the start of the World Cup qualifiers next year.

"We don't know who we are playing yet (The World Cup draw takes place on December 5) which will determine our preparations and whether we are playing friendlies or competitive games in June, but this game is the start of the

preparations," he said.

"The first thing is we want to win the match. The second thing is to blend in some of the players who haven't played so much in the last three years. But we're not looking for short-term results with that, that's a longer term objective."

But Kerr warned that, he is not looking to revamp the team totally and with the squad already relatively young by international standards (only Kenny Cunningham and Nick Colgan are over 30), he expects only small changes when the competitive games start once again.

"The team won't be completely different in 12 months time but it will have changed slightly just like it's already changed since the World Cup. Mick had already started to introduce players like Steven Reid, Colin Healy and Clinton Morrison so the squad is always changing and getting younger."

Kerr has already confirmed that Cardiff City midfielder Graham Kavanagh will start while Clinton Morrision (Birmingham City), Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers) and new boy Andy Reid (Nottingham Forest) will all see action at some stage and on Monday, he also confirmed that goalkeeper Nick Colgan (Stockport County) was likely to play some part in the proceedings.

The panel for Tuesday's clash contains just one player over 30 and the majority of the squad have only picked up a handful of caps meaning that although Kerr will experiment against the Canadians, he does not intend to change the system – something he has often spoke of.

"We do want to have a versatile system but I don't think this is the game to try it in because of the number of new players in the squad. We'll go 4-4-2 but might try a few little things within that system."

I'm a bit disappointed with two elements of this lineup (which looks like this)

Radzinski

Peschisolido

Hastings-Imhof-Bircham-Bent

Jazic-DeVos-McKenna-Stalteri

Hirschfeld

1) Hastings is starting. Ugh.

2) We don't get to see Stalteri in midfield, at least to start the game. It good be worse, though. Fenwick and Dasovic could be starting.

I'm a bit disappointed with two elements of this lineup (which looks like this)

Radzinski

Peschisolido

Hastings-Imhof-Bircham-Bent

Jazic-DeVos-McKenna-Stalteri

Hirschfeld

1) Hastings is starting. Ugh.

2) We don't get to see Stalteri in midfield, at least to start the game. It good be worse, though. Fenwick and Dasovic could be starting.

I'm very happy we'll get to see Jazic at left back. That's worth it already. His play in the midfield the two times I've seen him hasn't led me to think he should replace Brennan or DeGuzman there. Hopefully he's the answer at left back. Also if Hastings falters, Nash is a natural replacement and hopefully that happens. I wish Stalteri were in the midfield, but so be it.

I never really thought about it, but I'm sure it's true that players get a little more excited for a friendly when they know it's going to be on TV.

cheers,

matthew

I'm dissapointed because we will not Stamatopoulos in net for Canada. Kenny is a starting keeper in Sweeden Premier division, I believe is good enough to play for us, at least give the guy a chance. We know Lars is good but I would like to know if Kenny is better.

That's funny at the U-23 level our coaches are changing keeper after a scoreless half but with the senior squad our GK allowed 5 goals and start the next day (I'm not saying that Lars was weak on those goals).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jayo

That's strange, the Irish FA is the football associaton for Northern Ireland...

Right you are, I had both mistakenly gone there and mistakenly copied the URL from that site instead of this one. Now I think it's right, thanks Jayo.

I also have a weird feeling about this match, and wish I had the same feeling for Wednsday's qualifier.

I wonder if the impetus at switching Jazic & Hastings is more due to Jazic not being effective as a left midfielder, or Hastings not being effective as a left back. Either way I have to agree it is worth it to see what Jazic can do at left back, especially since De Guzman and Brennan could both play at left mid (assuming of course that Brennan hasn't suffered some career ending injury - sheesh he's been out a long time he's been out longer than De Vos who broke a bone in his foot).

If the spirit in the camp is high after all these losses, I wonder what would happen if we get a result? Depression? :)

Guest Georgio

Did anyone here see the Czech game and feel you could comment on it (particularly Jazic's play)? I thought I saw on the other board that Prima was showing it??

Jazic will be forced into the action more as a left back. It didn't appear that he asserted himself in the Finland match. I just watched the first half of the Finland match again and Jazic played safe. I thought it might have something to do with having to deal with Hasting's distribution but that can't be the case because I noticed other players trying to get Ante into the game. I was thinking of how Deguzman played against Germany at left mid (also with Hastings behind him) and man what a difference. Straight from the beginning of the match Deguzamn was getting into the mix, taking players on and constantly looking for opportunities to attack.

I think this game will tell us a lot more about Jazic and how he could fit in on the National squad. We should get a good indication of how his speed is (keeping up with the attacking players), tackling, man marking and distribution are.

I just hope Jazic does well. I don't want to come out of the game tomorrow with another feeling of Blaaa when trying to recall his performance. We need a new perm fixture in that left back position. Maybe my expectations were to high. It was afterall his first real game with the team. That's why I am curious to know what anyone else might have to say about his game against the Czechs.

Man I'm getting anxious about this game .. I also have a good feeling about it ... I'll be working while my VCR is taping the match, considered calling in sick. Our backline looks the strongest it has been in quite some time, we got Radz who has been scoring, Pesch is due for a goal and Birch is going to run right over some Leprechauns.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm dissapointed because we will not Stamatopoulos in net for Canada. Kenny is a starting keeper in Sweeden Premier division, I believe is good enough to play for us, at least give the guy a chance. We know Lars is good but I would like to know if Kenny is better.

That's funny at the U-23 level our coaches are changing keeper after a scoreless half but with the senior squad our GK allowed 5 goals and start the next day (I'm not saying that Lars was weak on those goals).

I agree with you 100%. We know that Lars is a good keeper, however we don't know his futuer or health. Here's a chance to see Kenny Stamatopoulos in action, in a game that doesn't mean much. As for Canada's number one keeper Pat, he's great, but he's in his late 30's and if Canada was to make the next world cup he'd be 40.

I think not play Kenny will make his future decision to ask permission to join the Canadian team very difficult. I know if I was a starter for my club team I wouldn't take a chance and leave for a team (team Canada) that never gave me a chance.

Guest Can. in UK

I am with you guys. I've got a good feeling about this match.

This may be grade school logic... but Switzerland beat Ireland 2-0 recently, Canada beat Switzerland 2-0 last year (or 2 years ago), so clearly ;) we will win tonight! (prediction: 2-1 victory)

Archived