TeamTalk: De Vos poised for Latics return

David C.

Tuesday November 4, 04:42 PM

De Vos poised for Latics return

Wigan skipper Jason De Vos will return to action this week in a specially-arranged friendly with Crewe.

The Canadian defender has missed the entire season after breaking a bone in his foot.

The Latics' reserve clash this week was called off, but because they are keen to ease the centre-half back into action, the club made alternative arrangements with Dario Gradi's side.

"It'll be like a new signing having him available again," manager Paul Jewell told the club's official website.

"But he'll have his work cut out to get back in the side at the moment with the way the centre-backs are playing."

Gooood.

Very, very, good.

Mr. Jewell's dead on there. JDV has a lot of catching up to do and you just don't step back into a position just because you lost it due to injury. I think all Wigan supporters are please with things just the way they are going along currently without JDV. Having said that, I think he's too important a part of this club and everyone knows it.

quote:Originally posted by Northern Star

How is that possible?

Team spirt and hard work thats how. This squad of player at the moment are the most hard working dedicated bunch we've had while i've been watching Wigan (just over 5 years).

to be honest the only place we've missed De Vos so far is at corners and free kicks because of his sheer size. Brekin who has replaced him is onlt 5' 11" so he doesnt really pose the same sort of attacking treat.

quote:Originally posted by Northern Star

Wigan's palyed extremely well without him!

How is that possible?

Hey Bubba, time to decide. You've hung around long past your "best by" date. If you want to stay and post in a civilized manner - and I've seen a few from you, then you are welcome to stay. If you want to be an a$$, then go find the board for Finland's next opponent. A quick history lesson for you, you</u> came onto our</u> board trolling. If the responses hurt your feelings, then maybe you need to rexamine the whole concept of trolling. Even trolling has etiquette, and good form says the game is long since over so move on. Try Bigsoccer's, world rivalries forum if you really need to continue to be an a$$. They will appreciate it there.

Latics club captain Jason De Vos appears to have come through unscathed having returned to action in a reserve team friendly at Crewe Alexandra on Wednesday.

The big Canadian played the opening 45 minutes at Crewe's training ground and looked a lot like his old self as he won several aerial challenges and also made a series of important tackles and interceptions. In fact, De Vos almost got on the scoresheet midway through the first half but his header from Gary Teale's corner was eventually cleared off the line.

As expected last year's Player of the Season was then withdrawn at half time and whilst watching the second period he reported no major problems from the foot that was operated on in August, and also expalined that, if he suffers no reaction to the work out, he will be looking to complete 90 minutes in next Wednesday's Pontins League Cup clash at Rotherham.

Meanwhile the match itself saw Teale, Tony Dinning, Paul Mitchell, Magno Silva Vieira and Mike Flynn all complete the full 90 minutes as Latics clinched a 1-0 victory. And it was the prolific Flynn who netted the all important goal, firing home after Lee Owens' cross had fallen to him in the box.

In an even contest, goalkeeper James Salisbury made several excellent saves for Latics while Vieira, Moore and Teale all went close to adding to Latics tally. However, with five minutes left Salisbury was grateful to his woodwork as a stunning Crewe free kick bounced back off the cross bar before falling into his arms to preserve his clean sheet and deny Alex a share of the spoils.

Latics starting line-up:

Salisbury, Owens, Foulkes, Mitchell, De Vos, Dinning, Teale, Flynn, Moore, Vieira, Roberts J.

There is a short article in the Toronto Star today regarding Aguiar's return to the national team. The article also mentions that Radzinski & De Vos are both expected to be part of the squad.

However, please keep in mind the author of this article is Norm Da Costa, famous for printing inaccuracies. Just last week he claimed that the Canadian women had been eliminated from the World Cup by the US (short-term memory is often the first to go. :) ), while in years past he claimed that Marco Reda's first name is actually Gino. What he wrote to do could very well be true, but always be on your guard.

'>Here's the article from the Toronto Star:

Nov. 5, 2003. 01:00 AM

Ex-player back with Canadians

Aguiar of Benfica on exhibition squad

Pellerud gets award for leading women's side

NORMAN DA COSTA

SPORTS REPORTER

Big, bustling midfielder Fernando Aguiar is back with Canada's national men's soccer team.

He is the latest former international to be included in the squad by interim coach Colin Miller for exhibitions against the Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland later this month.

Last month Miller recalled four players who had fallen out of favour with former coach Holger Osieck for the match against Finland. They were Paul Peschisolido (Sheffield United), Ante Jazic (Rapid Vienna), Mark Watson (Charleston Battery) and Marc Bircham (Queens Park Rangers).

Watson came out of international retirement and Bircham, who vowed never to play for Osieck in 2001, asked to be reconsidered after the former coach resigned in September.

Aguiar last represented the country against Saudi Arabia in 1999. He was not considered again despite being signed by Benfica, Portugal's most storied soccer club.

"Fernando gets another chance now to play for his country and I know he is a good player who plays with one of the top teams in Europe," said Miller, a former international player.

The coach also has a commitment from Everton striker Tomasz Radzinski for the games against the Czechs on Nov. 15 and versus Ireland at Dublin three days later. Also expected back is captain Jason de Vos, who sat out the 3-2 loss to Finland with a foot injury.

PELLERUD HONOURED: Even Pellerud, who led Canada's women's team to fourth place in the World Cup, is the first recipient of the Coaching Association of Canada's Vector Award.

He won it in recognition of "his team being selected as the most inspirational sports story of the year."

Meanwhile, Pellerud's assistant and coach of the under-19 squad, Ian Bridge, was inducted into the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame on the weekend. Bridge played in 33 games for Canada and led the under-19 women to a silver medal in the World Cup for that age group last year.

NEW CUP FORMAT: The road to the 2006 World Cup in the CONCACAF region kicks off Feb. 18 with 20 Caribbean nations in action.

The 10 winners, joined by Belize and Nicaragua, will play home-and-home series with the 12 nations — including the U.S. and Canada — on June 12-13 and June 19-20. The winners will advance to three semifinal groups of four with the top two in each group playing in the final round in 2005.

PLAYING HOST: Qualifying for the women's under-19 world soccer championship will be held in Canada next year. The Canadian Soccer Association plans to use Ottawa's Frank Clair Stadium and Montreal's Molson Stadium from May 28 to June 6.

Realy would be quite pleased to see Radz. for both matchs. He's been getting some awfull service in Everton this year so he shouldn't feel too disappointed with what's coming....

Damn good to see the man pulling on the Maple Leaf again. Funny thing isn't it? A year ago many's the Voyageur who'd written the wee Toffee off and yet here we are anticipating a dual appearance and some much needed goalscoring help. His pace may just save us some shame yet.

P.S. Thanks batch, you're a handy fellow to have about! We're a bunch of old women on this board and welcome any information, rumors, and wild gossip we can get a bite into.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

P.S. Thanks batch, you're a handy fellow to have about! We're a bunch of old women on this board and welcome any information, rumors, and wild gossip we can get a bite into.

Not a problem. I may go down and watch the reserves play on the 19th November to see how JDV is doing for myself. Thats is my uni tutors dont throw any more work at me.:(

From TeamTalk:

Friday November 7, 04:08 PM

De Vos released for internationals

Wigan boss Paul Jewell will be happy to release crocked skipper Jason De Vos for international duty next week.

Club captain De vos has played no part for the Latics so far this season after breaking a bone in his foot.

But the Canada international defender suffered no reaction following a 45-minute run-out with the reserves in midweek and could be ready to test his fitness when his country embark on two friendlies.

Canada are due to play the Czech Republic a week on Saturday, followed by a friendly with the Republic of Ireland the following Tuesday.

De Vos needs plenty of match practice before he will be considered for a first-team recall and the Canadian matches could play a big part in the centre-half's rehabilitation.

Latics Triumph Again!!

David Lowe's Latics reserve team maintained their 100% record on Wednesday night when they defeated Rotherham United 2-0 in the Pontins League Cup at the Don Valley Stadium.

With the first team squad away enjoying a well earned break, Lowe named an inexperienced line up although club captain Jason De Vos continued his comeback with 60 minutes at centre half.

A fine volley from David Moore and Chris Lynch's effort from a corner earned Latics yet another win and they need only one point from their remaining group game in the Pontins League Cup to progress to the next round.

Speaking exclusively to wiganathletic.tv after the match, De Vos was full of praise for the performance of the club's youngsters and also gave us the latest update on his own recovery. Having completed his second appearance for Latics, he will now join up with the Canadian squad for their international friendly matches against the Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland as he looks to build up his match fitness.

"It was a fine performance from our side and we thoroughly deserved the win. Everyone contributed to the victory and we scored two fine goals. Mooresy's was a fine volley from a right wing cross and Lynchy got on the end of a corner for his goal.

"We held on comfortably from then on and it's very pleasing for the lads to keep the 100% record going. Perhaps the two David's (Lee and Lowe) should contemplate proper management roles what with having unbeaten sides as the season moves into mid November!!

"From my own point of view, I've come through another 60 minutes unscathed with no reaction and will now fly out to Prague to join up with the Canadian squad for our two exciting friendlies in the next few days. My fitness is fine but what I need now is matches so these two games will be perfect for me to build myself back up again. I probably won't play 90 minutes in the games but the more playing time I can get in, the sooner I can be back in contention for my club side.

"It's great to be back in action and I can't wait to be available for the first team again although, with the lads doing so well without me, I'll probably have to be patient and wait for my chance to get back in the team.

"Saturday's game in Prague and Tuesday's in Dublin are just what I need though and hopefully my recovery will remain right on course and I will be in contention to make my first team return very soon."

Latics:

Salisbury, Joyce, Foulkes, De Vos (Edwards), Lee, Lynch, Thompson, Traynor, Moore (Perry-Acton), Vieira (Hazeldine), Dixon

Subs not used:

Middleton, Yeomans

Archived