Canada vs Sweden pre-match thread

Auger9

here's some articles bout tonights game:

Soccer hopes on line tonight

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1065305419263&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

With most of the tickets pre-sold due to the presence of the U.S., and high prices for the few that remain, there likely won't be as much Canadian content in the stands tonight as there was on Thursday. But among those watching Canada's practice in suburban Tigard yesterday were some travelling fans, including 15-year-old aspiring goalkeeper Alexandra Rutwind of Edmonton and her parents, who paid face value of $555 U.S. for three seats.

This game is semi sweet

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/10/05/218178.html

Tonight they'll play before a crowd of 28,000 people paying $175 US for the cheapest ticket (plus a $10 cover charge). OK, maybe all 28,000 won't stay around to watch Canada vs. Sweden. They're paying the big bucks to watch the game which is being billed as The Real World Cup Final - Germany vs. USA in the other semifinal which precedes it.

Fluke or not, Swedes are ready

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/Women/2003/10/05/218177.html

Fluke. That's what they're calling Canada being in the final four, the medal round of the Women's World Cup.

Guest Georgio

I say look out Sweden!!

I have a feeling Sinclair has yet to get into her groove. That illness still had remnants, but I think she just needed these previous games to get warmed up. I noticed her energy level improve with each game. Now everything else is going to fall into place. She is our biggest weapon if teams keep letting us advance.

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!

Here are betting lines as per Nordicbet.com

SOCCER - Women's World Cup Matches ID Date Teams USA (W) - Germany (W) 1.75 3.85 3.25

Sweden (W) - Canada (W) 1.60 4.10 3.65

SOCCER - Women's World Cup Total Goals

USA (W) - Germany (W) (under/Over 2.50) 2.00 1.65

Sweden (W) Canada (W) (under/Over 2.50) 1.95 1.70

SOCCER - Women's World Cup Number of Cards ID

USA - Germany (under/Over 3.00) 1.60 2.00

Sweden - Canada (under/Over 2.50) 2.45 1.40

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about Sinclair's illness. I've had mono, and after it was over, I actually felt more energetic then I did before I got sick. Mono does't take months to get over.

I am no doctor but mono can be a serious viral infection that can take many months for the body to get back to normal. Physical activity can easly elevate the body temperature as a result. It can also affect several organs in the body. One of which is the liver and develop into jaundice. Yes she can play if the worst is over. The thing is who else can take her place? Wilkinson?

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I am no doctor but mono can be a serious viral infection that can take many months for the body to get back to normal. Physical activity can easly elevate the body temperature as a result. It can also affect several organs in the body. One of which is the liver and develop into jaundice. Yes she can play if the worst is over. The thing is who else can take her place? Wilkinson?

I wonder if McLeod or LeBlanc can play defense, then we can have Hooper up front!

Wow! Germany just defeated USA 3-0. The same three-goal margin by which they beat Canada. Germany looks scary -- 23 goals in five games! USA will have to play for 3rd place now.

I can't connect to Go Big Red right now. Must be a lot of traffic.

Guest Georgio

My intention was to come up with a feel good reason why we will win. All I know is she lost a lot of weight and is playing the highest level of soccer possible. It's an illness my brother had of which he kept thinking may be gone but kept re-emerging. You're probably right MassiveAttack, since you did have mono and all people have the same reaction and recovery period as you do to all ailments, particularly female strikers currently participating in the WWC.

Let's go Canada

I think that's just the way Sinclair plays. It never looks like she's in the game until the ball's in the net. She's kind of the anti-Latham, 99 per cent finesse and 1 per cent effort.

Lang is playing amazingly well. Those bone-headed decisions she was prone to even just a year ago are pretty much gone. She's dominating that right flank.

Guest Georgio

It is indeed a great achievement to have made it to the final four especially considering the ongoing injuries we had to the backline. Considering that Sinclair has the best goals per game ratio in international caps for Cdn men and women I took the chance on her with a prediction that she would make the biggest contribution in this game, with some reseaoning that I knew may or may not have been accurate. It was just a guess and if I had been right it would have made me into a Great Predictor of Future Events, be it soccer related or not ...

just kiddin man ... It is trivial though.

Anyways, Sweden deserved the win and in the dying minutes(I may get bashed for this), I was hoping Canada wouldn't equalize. Sweden deserves to be in the final and Canada deserves to be in the top four.

I am sure I will expect nothing but top two for the next World Cup though.

Lata

Archived