Man U plays Club America today? [R]

hamiltonfan

Club American had a few familiar names: Cuatomoc Blanco and Pavel Pardo who we have seen play against Canada. Plus, Abreu who we saw represent Uruguay internationally in the past. The Mexican club was no match for Man U but the game still had its moments as did some other matches from this Champion series ( whatever its called) that so far has been pretty entertaining overall. The good thing about it is that, Unlike Seattle, it really sounded like there was some atmosphere in the stands. I was shocked to learn that Man U supporters could be heard and seen in such large numbers for a match agianst a Mexican club in, of all places, Los Angeles. Maybe there is an " Anybody but club América" movement out there.

The game was scoreless at the half even though I thought Man U had the sizeable edge in play but the floodgates opened in the second half. I left myself wondering how an MLS side would have fared. which, in turn, might have shed some light on the quality of club play in this region given that there is some "interlocking" play between A-League and MLS with the US open cup.

The most significant thing that I learned was that this mexican club looked much better against Man U than Celtic did last week. Man U versus celtic looked like men versus boys. Yet, in the past, many of our top players were playing in Scotland and for clubs outside the old firm. What does that tell you about the development of Canadian players and their readiness for international play within our region in past WCQ's? Plus, I found out that this club had actually missed the playoff in the Mexican league last season even though they won the title the previous year. So they're not even the best that the mexicans have, yet they look like they could distroy Celtic

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The most significant thing that I learned was that this mexican club looked much better against Man U than Celtic did last week. Man U versus celtic looked like men versus boys. Yet, in the past, many of our top players were playing in Scotland and for clubs outside the old firm. What does that tell you about the development of Canadian players and their readiness for international play within our region in past WCQ's? Plus, I found out that this club had actually missed the playoff in the Mexican league last season even though they won the title the previous year. So they're not even the best that the mexicans have, yet they look like they could distroy Celtic

I think you are basing way too much on meaningless friendlies. Celtic's UEFA Cup run (they beat Blackburn, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart, Liverpool and Boavista, and took Porto (an excellent team, and not just because they destroyed Lazio in one leg [:P]) to extra time in the final) means way more than their friendly against Man U.

One obvious problem with basing too much on these friendlies is that usually the revolving door between the field and subs bench totally changes the complexion of the game. Substitutions are made that would not be made in a regular game, not only because the rules don't allow them, of course, but also because they don't make sense tactically. In Man U vs. Club América in particular, Man U scored two quick goals at the beginning of the second half right after América made wholesale changes. It probably isn't a coincidence that América came out really badly in the second half (the dumb announcers questioned the coach's decision to make those changes, but, geez, it wasn't a tactical decision!!!). (Throw in a horrible call that took back a perfectly good América goal off a free kick when it was 2-0 (I think) and I wonder how different this game could have turned out... but I digress...)

I thought Man U vs. Club América was a pretty good game (3-1, for those who don't know), certainly better than the first two, but Barcelona vs. Juventus was much better. In fact, it was about as good a game as you're going to get in a friendly.

Hey, Club América drew Lazio 1-1 last Wednesday in San Jose. Of course no one reports it if it doesn't involve one of the glitzy teams on the big shiny tour. Also, Monterrey's Tigres (semifinalists in the last Mexican championship) beat Lazio 4-0 on Saturday in Monterrey... don't know what the heck happened there [xx(]... Lazio's game against Los Angeles Galaxy --- I believe the only one scheduled between one of the visiting Euro teams and an MLS team? --- this coming Thursday was cancelled for some reason.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:

I thought Man U vs. Club América was a pretty good game (3-1, for those who don't know), certainly better than the first two, but Barcelona vs. Juventus was much better. In fact, it was about as good a game as you're going to get in a friendly.

Incredible that you thought the game was good. Bunch over on bigsoccer thought it was terrible. Mind you one sounded like the kind of person who watches a game while walking around the house looking at lightbulbs to change. Practicing for going to a live match; I love the way the fans in the States can't sit more than half hour in their seats, have to walk around aimlessly, after all, such a big stadium, all that space.

And so much yelling about nothing.

If a team plays their first game in 5 weeks, just a week or so after coming off holidays, and there is defensive pressure up high, tactical fouling, decent positional discipline, and the goals come from talented plays (for the most part), then I don't see what there is to complain about. For me the game was worth it just to watch Carles Puyol defend, he's amazing. I think anyone who loves the game would also appreciate the way Barça played the ball slowly and precisely out of the back, or how la Juve could move so quickly forward into attacking zones in the 2nd half, the typical angular, varied passing they showed last year as well.

Or is this what they get every week in MLS?

Okay, this is late but since this topic is still near the top...

Jeffrey, you're right, Puyol is amazing to watch. He and Saviola are the Barça players that appeal to me the most. I couldn't provide the tactical analysis that you did, but I just thought the game was exciting --- for a friendly. Turns out that's not enough to keep me interested, though, as I haven't seen any of the games since Sunday. After a couple of months of no Euro games these friendlies seem interesting at first, but then the fact that they don't mean anything creeps back into my head and I couldn't really be bothered (unless one of my teams is playing). However, as Cheeta points out, Euro seasons are starting up again --- France and Germany on TV here this weekend... and Argentina, too.

Desigol, I'd agree with your friend. Well, maybe "biased" is going a bit far (those types of claims don't convince me), but certainly too many calls went Man United's way. Most blatantly, América had a perfectly legal goal called back (as I said above).

Archived