Canada-Cuba Game Thread (R)

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cuban player with a horrendous playacting job after deflecting a Hume cross.

He waited about a half a second to go down and now he's rolling around as if he had been shot. Should have been a yellow.

5 Minutes of injury time.

Final whistle.

Cuba 2

Canada 0

I don't like Cuba's chances against Costa Rica on Wednesday, as the Ticos are sure to be fired up over this result, and Cuba hardly did anything to convince me that they can defeat CR.

I'll give them credit where it's due, as they took full advantage of Canada's defensive miscues and buryed them.

Still, one has to wonder what the scoreline woulld have looked like with a real striker up top and perhaps Menezes organizing the backline.

No excuses, though, as Canada got what they deserved.

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks a lot Rudi, good work on the thread.

As it stands if Costa Rica wins by 1, 2 or three we are out. Effectively Cuba can go through losing 3-0.

Not too optimistic really, though at least the Cubans will want to avoid the States and may actually play for something. Though I think, as is, we are out, as I don't expect the Ticos to fail their next match.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Wow ... what a dissapointment. Solid showing from Hume however.

Definitely a great showing by Hume, who got a full second half to show what he can do for Canada at the right mid position. He acquitted himself very well, with intelligent runs down the flanks and some great probing crosses that really should have been buried by the Canadian frontrunners.

Amidst all the negative in this game (and there's plenty to go round), Hume stands out as a very bright positive.

Can't wait to see him and the U20s in UAE in November.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Wow ... what a dissapointment. Solid showing from Hume however.

Definitely a great showing by Hume, who got a full second half to show what he can do for Canada at the right mid position. He acquitted himself very well, with intelligent runs down the flanks and some great probing crosses that really should have been buried by the Canadian frontrunners.

Amidst all the negative in this game (and there's plenty to go round), Hume stands out as a very bright positive.

Can't wait to see him and the U20s in UAE in November.

Blah. I have NEVER felt worse about our Nats. I don't care how many chances we had in the last ten minutes, I don't care who we didn't have playing (injuries/unavailable players are a reality that you have deal with). I don't care about the excuses that are sure to follow this post. We just had our asses handed to us for 80 minutes by **CUBA**. Our MNT program is a bloody mess. Period.

I HATE the fact I had to sign up for this forum. HATE. HATE. HATE.

Blah. I have NEVER felt worse about our Nats. I don't care how many chances we had in the last ten minutes, I don't care who we didn't have playing (injuries/unavailable players are a reality that you have deal with). I don't care about the excuses that are sure to follow this post. We just had our asses handed to us for 80 minutes by **CUBA**. Our MNT program is a bloody mess. Period.

I'm upset. No excuses are acceptable. We were playing one of the weakest Concacaf team. Not Brazil or France!!!!! The cuba defence was wide open......

I know that we beat Costa Rica (But luckily) I don't think that in the long run we can qualify for the WC right now. We can win a game in a while but we are not consistent enough. Radzinski might be the solution but I don't count on him to be with us in every game.

Poor finishing. That our number 1 problem and our defense is not anymore what it's used to be. (Gold cup 2000)

I'm upset. No excuses are acceptable. We were playing one of the weakest Concacaf team. Not Brazil or France!!!!! The cuba defence was wide open......

I know that we beat Costa Rica (But luckily) I don't think that in the long run we can qualify for the WC right now. We can win a game in a while but we are not consistent enough. Radzinski might be the solution but I don't count on him to be with us in every game.

Poor finishing. That our number 1 problem and our defense is not anymore what it's used to be. (Gold cup 2000)

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I can only imagine the outcome of this game if we had Radz and DeRo... (sigh)

That was a strong, organised back line. I was actually impressed. Communicate well with their defensive mid.

It was begging to be shredded by some speed and overlapping play.

BLOODY HELL. BLOODY, BLOODY, BLOODY HELL.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I can only imagine the outcome of this game if we had Radz and DeRo... (sigh)

That was a strong, organised back line. I was actually impressed. Communicate well with their defensive mid.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

"Minority of one"

Precisely.

I was screaming at the TV every time the back three booted another long ball up to McKenna, only to have a Cuban defender step up and head the ball clear.

If it didn't work the first 50 times, why the hell did they thinkit would work the 51st time?

This team needs to have players like Brennan and Menezes at the back, because hoofing the ball upfield Fenwick-style just ain't gonna cut it, as tonight's debacle showed.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

"Minority of one"

Precisely.

I was screaming at the TV every time the back three booted another long ball up to McKenna, only to have a Cuban defender step up and head the ball clear.

If it didn't work the first 50 times, why the hell did they thinkit would work the 51st time?

This team needs to have players like Brennan and Menezes at the back, because hoofing the ball upfield Fenwick-style just ain't gonna cut it, as tonight's debacle showed.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Say this for Coo bah, they're very organised. That my fellows, for all it's overall lack of individual quality is a team. That is a side which shows a familiarity usualy only seen on a club level.

Bravo.

Lots of energy and purpose. They'd do better without the dramatics though.

Have a care. We owe you bastards one!

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Say this for Coo bah, they're very organised. That my fellows, for all it's overall lack of individual quality is a team. That is a side which shows a familiarity usualy only seen on a club level.

Bravo.

Lots of energy and purpose. They'd do better without the dramatics though.

Have a care. We owe you bastards one!

"Minority of one"

Archived