Klukowski injured, Hutchinson to replace him

MikeD

[from the CSA]

Atiba Hutchinson

Men's World Cup Team

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Hutchinson Will Replace Klukowski In Gold Cup

Ottawa, Ontario - Atiba Hutchinson has replaced Mike Klukowski on the Gold Cup Roster and will join the team in Boston today. Klukowski suffered a mild thigh injury in training and will return to his club La Louviere in Belgium.

Hutchinson who plays for Osters in the Swedish Premier League has earned two caps for Canada and made his debut in January in a friendly game against the United States. He was unable to play against Estonia due to an ankle injury he suffered in training with Osters.

Mike D

Would Atiba's club Östers be happy by this decision??? That's the question that some of us should really be asking ourselves. Östers is already at the bottom of the basement in the Swedish Premiership standings. The club would need Atiba's presences as much as they can in order to escape relegation. I could see this event convert itself into a major dispute between club and country. Atiba is already classified as a valuable starter for Östers.

They have to release him because the Gold Cup is an official FIFA competition. By placing Atiba on our 22-player roster, we secured the right to call him up in the event of an injury to one of the players on our 18-player roster.

Mike D

Darn. I was hoping to see Klukowski (think Centre back Holger, I know you are reading this :))play. And Osters really can use Hutchinson. It really seems as if he is doing a "Man's Job" for them in Sweden.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Me too. Can't get enough of those Polish-Canadians. He was one of the players that I was excited to see finally play for the national team in competition. Having said that, I'm also excited to see Atiba play after making the big leap to starting in Sweden. Can't get enough of those Lynx alumni. :D

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Darn. I was hoping to see Klukowski (think Centre back Holger, I know you are reading this :))play.

This is getting ridicilous.Last time it was Jazic.I was looking forward to watching Klukowski.I think we better get used to the idea that Canada will never have a full strength squad.As mentioned in another topic Canada looks like a top 4 team only on paper.

Just for fun,in the future,we should make up lineups using players not chosen or injured and size it up against the team we get on the field.I'm thinking that more often than not,the team not in the lineup might just be the stronger.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Curious replacement. Why replace a left sided midfielder/defender with a central midfielder. I would have thought that Jazic would have been the natural replacement.

Jazic is not fit due to injury. The left side (Pozniak, Hastings, MC2) is stronger than the right, so I wonder if this was not a move designed to allow Bent or Imhoff to move over to the right as they both play the same role (D-mid) Hutchinson currently does.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I think we better get used to the idea that Canada will never have a full strength squad.

When is any team in any country ever at full strength? There will always be injuries and other issues that keep players out...

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

-Rage Against The Machine

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Curious replacement. Why replace a left sided midfielder/defender with a central midfielder. I would have thought that Jazic would have been the natural replacement.

Jazic was called first but had headed back to Austria it seems. So Atiba was the 2nd choice for replacement.

How do I know? A little bird told me.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Jazic was called first but had headed back to Austria it seems. So Atiba was the 2nd choice for replacement.

How do I know? A little bird told me.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

Did your little bird indicate whether this was a problematic "headed back to Austria" as in, take the national team and shove it?

Archived