The Big Flag!

Reza

What is the status of the big flag BTW? The big maple leaf one that we were to purchase last year?

Anybody know someone that could sew one together? it probably won't look as impressive as the other ones but what the heck!

Or how about purchasing the pieces for the three portions, and then just painting the maple leaf in the middle? that should come under $300.

I can't see more than $100 worth of fabric ($3 per square meter typically I think) for dimesnions of 15*2 (30 sq. meters) would make it roughly $100 worth of fabric and you would think the cost of sewing that wouldn't be huge considering how simple it is? and then some red paint for the middle!

Any ideas?

Reza

quote:Originally posted by Reza

What is the status of the big flag BTW? The big maple leaf one that we were to purchase last year?

Anybody know someone that could sew one together? it probably won't look as impressive as the other ones but what the heck!

Or how about purchasing the pieces for the three portions, and then just painting the maple leaf in the middle? that should come under $300.

I can't see more than $100 worth of fabric ($3 per square meter typically I think) for dimesnions of 15*2 (30 sq. meters) would make it roughly $100 worth of fabric and you would think the cost of sewing that wouldn't be huge considering how simple it is? and then some red paint for the middle!

Any ideas?

Reza

Reza,

I believe Tyler posted a few days a ago a message stating that he was unsuccessfull in obtaining the flag from that brewery in question.

Well, then the alternative approach might work, don't you think so?

Raising the money for sewed version of it shouldn't be a daunting task for this group...but then again who knows..

Reza

What about raising the money for the real thing? We should aim for the top and then see where the chips fall.

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

The trouble is that a really big flag is quite costly, upwards of 2000-3000 dollars...I am not sure if there is that much will, after last year's efforts for the Voyageurs Cup.

take care

Reza

I say we go for it. We're ambitious, the sport is growing in this country, we're the official supporters club. Let's give it a shot. If we come up short, we'll talk about solutions then...

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

We shall see...I can't see another big drive for a while but who knows...

Here is one site that sells flags..the biggest they get is 20' * 40' which comes at about $1000 CDN.

http://www.flagworks.com/cgi-bin/flag?searchterm=&S=11&E=17&Submit=Start+Search&indexkey=*ANADIV&index2key=&usermsg=&usepict=images/canada-individual.gif&listpage=listingsflags.htm&productpage=product.htm

take care

Reza

I have to side with Reza in saying that it would be difficult to have another mass collection from Voyageurs so soon. However, Mimglow, if you or anyone else is willing to give it (or some other alternative) a try...

I'm not crazy about the idea of making a flag ourselves. I don't think the maple leaf would come out looking very good. This is the only time I wish we had an Italian or French or other such simple design to our flag!

I work for Heritage (kinda). Let me see what I can do.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Hey everybody. I was out of the city for a couple days and didn't post during that time.

Free Kick and Jarrek have pretty much summarized the situation. Molson wasn't interested because there isn't enough activity to justify its donation. On the bright side, I've saved the proposal (I think it's pretty good). Maybe after we win the Gold Cup or qualify for the big show in 2006 then getting corporate attention will be easier.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Well, at the very least, we need a banner with www.canadian-soccer.com on it...it's the easiest way of getting more people in a stadium, especially in a place like Commonwealth stadium which is so huge....That one should be easy to make...just some plastic fabric and some paint...

take care

Reza

It would proabaly be easiest to get the letters, some two way velcro tap and attach the web addres to the existing banner. What is the material that the current Voyageurs banner is made out of?

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived