Jun 22: Montreal-Rochester & Calgary-Seattle [R]

DJT

How the fuçk does Demmin get to play if he got red-carded last game???

Doesn't the A-League not impose the suspension until the following week? That stops teams running out of able bodied players if they were in the middle of a two day, two city road trip. Think that's been the excuse over the years.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

How the fuçk does Demmin get to play if he got red-carded last game???

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

You should be happy that was able to play, since he scored the winning goal for your team. :D

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Final results:

Montreal 1 Rochester 0

Demmin OG (credited to Rowland) 4'

What does that mean, "credited to Rowland"? If it was a true own-goal, why should be it "credited" to anyone (apart from the guy who kicked it in the net)? I'm not familiar with the A-League's rules on these things, can anyone fill me in?

Big discussion in the press booth on this topic. We all clearly saw that the ball was kicked in by Demmin and we were all surprised to see that the official statistician credited the goal to Rowland. Even the Rhinos radio people couldn't believe it and complained. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that makes the A-league quite amateurish :(. The reporter from Le Journal De Montreal was very confused and did not know what to write down in his report. He eventually wrote Rowland because the "official" game sheet listed Rowland as the one who scored. For more info, please read my A-league.com report

(http://a-league.com/game_reports/2003/montreal_ohayon_06222003.shtml)

Ah, the joys of second division North American soccer!

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Montreal match reporter, a-league.com

Isn't there a "goal commission" or, more seriously, an executive committe of the USL that can give the goal to who scored it ?

It happens in a lot of european competitions.

Yes, I know, they aren't as amateurish as the A-League...

You can also read my review on impactsoccer.com, in French this one (http://www.impactsoccer.com/reviews.php?id=80).

Another question to Albert : will you go to Rochester, and if you do, how do you go ?

http://www.impactsoccer.com

Sorry, I will not go to Rochester. I'm having enough trouble juggling my regular full time job, family commitments and covering the Impact locally to allow me to travel with the team. Are you going with the shuttle leaving Saturday morning?

Enjoy the game. It's going to be war once again.

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Montreal match reporter, a-league.com

quote:Originally posted by PaulV

What does that mean, "credited to Rowland"? If it was a true own-goal, why should be it "credited" to anyone (apart from the guy who kicked it in the net)? I'm not familiar with the A-League's rules on these things, can anyone fill me in?

Alberto7 explained it well enough, but let me add, since I was the one who posted the confusing remark, that the Montreal radio announcers kept saying it that way every time they summarized the game. As far as I know, it's not a matter of figuring out exactly who put the ball into the next, but rather it's because the A-league does not count own-goals: if you put it into your own net then the goal is credited to the last opponent to touch the ball (just like, for example, in the NHL) --- as with other arcane rules (eg. extra time), the league must think that North Americans need to do it the North American way rather than the soccer way [xx(]. What often happens is that the media and fans who know that an own-goal should really be regarded as an own-goal will report it this way and then add on (ie. will note "credited to") whoever the A-league names as the scorer. One problem is that not all own-goals are reported as such by all the media, so it is difficult to maintain your own stats if you wanted to try to do it properly (ie. counting own-goals separate from regular goals) (I say this from experience in trying to record the Voyageurs Cup goal scorers, so for now I record them according to the league's system).

Repeat after me: "We shall not get hysterical without checking facts first!"

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?s7.132144:gp:850803.1568:72011+Elements/Display+E+47107+Stats/+22691

Charleston won on a Syracuse OT own goal, but no Battery player had that goal credited.

The A-League *does* count own goals, but some goals are credited to the last offensive player (example - a slightly deflected shot that wrong-foots the keeper). Remember how a Costa Rican own-goal was subsequently awarded to Ronaldo at the World Cup? It's all about "who" scored the goal and at the game it seemed that Rowland shot at the net and the ball went in more or less where he shot (deflection or not). That being said, I haven't seen the replays).

And if the Journal de Montréal was that new guy: he's useless anyhow!

[Edit] That was most definitely an own goal, but I guess the league just goes along with whatever the game reports says. In this case, the announcer gave Rowland the goal and I assume everyone just said "uh, whatever".

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?s7.132144:gp:850803.1568:72011+Elements/Display+E+47107+Stats/+22691

Charleston won on a Syracuse OT own goal, but no Battery player had that goal credited.

The A-League *does* count own goals, but some goals are credited to the last offensive player (example - a slightly deflected shot that wrong-foots the keeper).

While you convinced me that I was wrong when I said that goals are automatically credited to the last offensive player to touch the ball (see also the report for Saturday's Toronto vs. Pittsburgh match, where Elvis Thomas scored an own-goal but it is not credited to any Pittsburgh player), I am still not convinced that the A-League counts own-goals. In order to do that they need to list the players who scored own-goals or put "OG" next to their names or some such thing. Even more stupid than crediting the last offensive player to touch the ball, the way they do it now there are mystery goals that seem to come from nowhere. So in fact they don't count own-goals, they just ignore their details altogether.

While I'm at it, let me also say that the A-League doesn't know how to do match reports. They give you a bunch of statistics, sure, but they neglect to mention when anything --- goals, cautions, ejections --- occurred!

Okay, before I get too hysterical please point out where I'm wrong! :)

Archived