MLS Home Depot Centre

Mimglow

Watched the MLS this afternoon on Fox Sportsworld, and what a fantastic new stadium in L.A. Simply amazing. I hope people in Toronto in charge of the new Argo/CSA stadium plans are taking notes!

One note on the match though, something that has forever annoyed me about some fans:

Am I the only one who cannot stand "ferners"? (Explanation: My friends and I call the long plastic horns that one mindlessly blows in to create a long "FEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNN!" sound "ferners". I don't know why, we just do.)

If there has ever been a more mindless creation in all of history, please enlighten me. I'm all for being noisy, but not noise for noise's sake. If that were the case, we'd play the sound of a Mack truck barrelling down the highway with it's horn blowing on the intercom system for 90 minutes. These people just blow and blow and blow in those contraptions without really having any goal. Sing, clap, shout, bang a drum, do SOMETHING creative!!!

Am I the only one? Do I need to go into therapy? Please tell me I'm not the only one. Please...

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

BBC Story on Home Depot Centre

Galaxy launch new venue

World Cup legend Pele was a special guest at the opening

American sport's newest venue has been officially opened with a Major Soccer League game between Los Angeles and Colorado.

A capacity crowd of 27,000 saw the Galaxy beat the Rapids 2-0 at the $150m Home Depot Center at California State University in LA.

The soccer stadium is the stadium the centrepiece of a major new multi-purpose facility. Also on the Dominguez Hills site is:

A tennis stadium

Track & field facilities

30 tennis courts (hard and clay)

Nine soccer training pitches

An indoor veledrome (opening in 2004)

As well as being the Galaxy's new home, the Center will also act as the US Soccer Federation's national team training HQ.

It is also the US Tennis Association's High Performance National Training Centre, USA Cycling's national team track training base, and USA Track & Field's official training site.

HAVE YOUR SAY

According to pundits, the HDC is a home for every American football fan that will be included among the world's best football venues before too long

From DM Martinez, USA

Join the 606 debate

The soccer stadium includes 42 executive boxes, while the tennis stadium's 8,000 permanent seats can be supplemented by 5,000 more.

The athletics stadium seats 2,000 spectators but can be expanded to take as many as 20,000.

As well as hosting 15 Galaxy home games this season, the soccer stadium will stage the MLS All-Star Game on 2 August and the MLS Cup on 23 November.

The NFL's San Diego Chargers will hold a training camp at the venue from 25 July to 22 August.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

BBC Story on Home Depot Centre

Galaxy launch new venue

World Cup legend Pele was a special guest at the opening

American sport's newest venue has been officially opened with a Major Soccer League game between Los Angeles and Colorado.

A capacity crowd of 27,000 saw the Galaxy beat the Rapids 2-0 at the $150m Home Depot Center at California State University in LA.

The soccer stadium is the stadium the centrepiece of a major new multi-purpose facility. Also on the Dominguez Hills site is:

A tennis stadium

Track & field facilities

30 tennis courts (hard and clay)

Nine soccer training pitches

An indoor veledrome (opening in 2004)

As well as being the Galaxy's new home, the Center will also act as the US Soccer Federation's national team training HQ.

It is also the US Tennis Association's High Performance National Training Centre, USA Cycling's national team track training base, and USA Track & Field's official training site.

HAVE YOUR SAY

According to pundits, the HDC is a home for every American football fan that will be included among the world's best football venues before too long

From DM Martinez, USA

Join the 606 debate

The soccer stadium includes 42 executive boxes, while the tennis stadium's 8,000 permanent seats can be supplemented by 5,000 more.

The athletics stadium seats 2,000 spectators but can be expanded to take as many as 20,000.

As well as hosting 15 Galaxy home games this season, the soccer stadium will stage the MLS All-Star Game on 2 August and the MLS Cup on 23 November.

The NFL's San Diego Chargers will hold a training camp at the venue from 25 July to 22 August.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

I thought "Rough Riders" was two words. Or maybe I'm just living in the present. Air horns are far more annoying than the ferners, nice coinage nonetheless. Anyhow Ti-Cats is hyphenated for those whose team is still in the league, heh heh heh.

I saw the HDC Show on FSWC too, what a great stadium, it puts 9/10 of the English first div. and (my estimation) 3/5 of the EPL to shame. Home Depot Canada has been doing all right themselves, let's see the proceeds! Not to be greedy, but we need a stadium like that far more than LA does. I mean honestly.

Btw, my one comment on the LA Galaxy match is that my GOD the MLS announcers are better than that arse who calls the South American matches on ESPN2. Even though they missed calls and plays all over the place, at least they didn't feel the need to say "goooal-ah" every time a replay hit the screen. I actually enjoyed the game, and that's sayin' summat.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I agree that Max Bretos can be irratating at times, but I'll say this for him: The man is a a work-a-holic. Does he EVER get a day off? Almost every match played on FSW is called by him. The man is a soccer encyclopaedia, he not only knows all the player names from all the teams, but always has interesting anecdotes.

Mimglow, Ottawa

I'm not sure whether we're talking about the same guy here, actually. Does Bretos have a fairly strong Latin accent? The one I'm thinking of is the guy who has a very American accent, except when he's shouting. When there's a goal he seems to switch into psuedo-Latin mode.

But you're right, these guys sure call a lot of games. The pay must be horrible!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

That's the one! Max Bretos. He's the one who says "Goaalllllll-ah!" He and Allen Hopkins sound exactly the same. Both work for FSW, and on Saturday nights they call an MLS game together! It's really weird, because you don't really know who's talking!

Bretos is Italo-American, so that kinda explains the swith when a goal is scored..sorta.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Archived