Molson Stadium lines question solved ...

Jarrek

Molson Stadium lines question solved by unique compromise

By BILL BEACON

May 16, 2003

MONTREAL (CP) - Controversy over whether the new FieldTurf artificial surface at Molson Stadium would have football or soccer lines has been resolved in a unique compromise by the Montreal Alouettes and McGill University.

The Alouettes, who demanded permanent football lines, and the university, which wanted a plain green field usable for international soccer matches, both got their wish. The new field will have permanent lines for both football and soccer, but the right paint and techniques were found to cover the football lines for soccer games. "Nobody loses," McGill athletic director Bob Dubeau said Friday as reporters were shown the $12.5 million in renovations underway at the 88-year-old stadium on the downtown university campus. "We found a solution that will make life easier for the Alouettes and for the university.

"We wanted a multi-purpose facility and that's what it will be."

Alouettes president Skip Prince said the dispute ended peacefully.

"The lines ended up not being an issue," said Prince. "We just had to find the technology."

FieldTurf, a Montreal-based company that makes soft grass-like artificial surfaces, is to put the new field in before the Alouettes' first home game of the regular season on July 12.

Once in, FieldTurf will apply to soccer's world governing body FIFA to have it approved for use in international matches. FIFA does not allow any extra lines or advertising on its fields.

The Canadian Soccer Association pushed for the stadium to be convertible for soccer because it wants a variety of venues across the country for internationals, particularly to boost its bid to play host to the 2007 women's World Cup.

Attempts to reach Kevan Pipe, COO of the Canadian Soccer Association, weren't immediately successful Friday.

The Alouettes' chief concern was to have sponsors' logos on the field.

FieldTurf executive John Gilman, an Alouettes quarterback in the early 1960s, said logos are painted on and taken off regularly at a field they put in for the Seattle Seahawks three years ago.

He said Jay Warnick, an expert on painting logos who works for the Seahawks, would be brought in to train a crew in Montreal. Warnick, who also paints logos for the Super Bowl and other events, will do the same at the New York Giants' stadium, which also has a new FieldTurf surface.

"It won't matter to FIFA," said Gilman. "As long as it's a green field for soccer.

"The only sticking point is - what if there's a soccer game on Thursday night and the Als play on Sunday, but it pours rain every day in between? How do you get the logos down? The answer is scheduling. We can't take that (soccer) game with that short window."

Gilman said the lines problem was solved by finding the right shade of paint so that the football lines wouldn't show and the right technique for putting in logos.

In converting the field to soccer, the white football lines will be painted green.

Putting in the field will be one of the last jobs for construction crews at the stadium.

Most of the high grandstand on the north side is being rebuilt, with a new, two-tiered press box, with broadcasts booths, will replace the old plywood press box atop the stands.

Light standards that used to block the view from some seats were taken out and a new lighting system installed. New washrooms and concession booths are being built.

Supports have been built in the south side grandstands to accommodate future plans to build a second tier that will add 3,500 to 4,500 new seats. Prince said an additional $10 million would likely be needed for the expansion, which he hopes to have in 2005.

The current renovations will add 400 VIP seats, but about 200 other seats were lost. Capacity for the coming season will be 20,202.

Moving to the crumbling Molson Stadium from the huge but mostly empty Olympic Stadium in 1999 may have saved the Alouettes as fans took to the panoramic views and electric atmosphere in the mountainside facility.

The Als have sold out 37 consecutive games at Molson Stadium and also sold out a playoff game last fall at the 55,000-seat Olympic Stadium.

Guest Jeffery S.

Has anyone else here ever played soccer in this stadium? I am kind of proud to have played in McGill house league there, mind you it was 1984. I never scored, but drew a penalty on a beautiful move in the box where the two defenders I went by (a rare move) chopped both my legs from under me and I landed on my crotch. It hurt. The Iranian star on the team then proceeded to nail the ball into the stands, so that was a waste.

Soon afterwards my doctor suggested that since I had an inflamed spleen due to a certain problem typical in students who don't eat right, I should not continue such feats.

Go Impact!

You mean playing soccer or falling on your crotch?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Soon afterwards my doctor suggested that since I had an inflamed spleen due to a certain problem typical in students who don't eat right, I should not continue such feats.

Go Impact!

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

Great.

Sooo. How big of a scheduling window would you need?

Annnd. Who's going to pay for the constant painting and re-painting(washing, whatever) of the Als football lines and advert. logos? The Als as a condition of their lease or the client who can't have football lines and advertising on the pitch? Not really an issue just now but in the future maybe the Impact well need bigger digs or some promoter would like to bring in a couple of touring sides for a one off exhibition. If the expense of these cosmetic alterations is significant by the de-factor costs the Als get the stadium.

P.S. I'd imagine the Als well be getting first selection of scheduling dates. Combine that with the time required for putting lines on and off the pitch and you're killing the football/soccer prospects.

Minority of one

Guys... Consider that the Als should have 10-11 dates, around two weeks apart each, with their season starting in June... That's not so bad (scheduling-wise).

Now, the soccer lines better not be yellow!!! [}:)]

Oh, and I've played there with NDG the spring before the Als' first season there. A 0-5 mauling at the hands of the Lac-St-Louis Lakers. The field was so arked that the ball would dissapear when it was on the other side near the sideline.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Hey gang...love the new format.

I gotta tell you I have reservations about international games being played on FieldTurf. I played on the Frank Clair Stadium FiedTurf 2 winters ago, and it was brutal. Although it is a nice cushiony surface, it is deceptively painful to slide on. I completely tore up my left leg when attempting a simple slide tackle. I can't see soccer teams going all out when they are aware of the consequences of hitting the ground. I know I never went in for another tackle on that surface.

This from someone who absolutely thrilled that Nats games can now be played in Ottawa (18 000 for Women's Canada-England thrashing).

Mimglow,

Ottawa

Archived