Falkirk promotion to SPL

Andrew W

Be interesting to hear opinions on the Falkirk issue. I think it would be a tragedy to not have the rightful champions of Division I moving up to the SPL. They seemingly have all their ducks in a row in terms of their own stadium for the 2004 season and have an agreement in principle with the likely purchasers of the ground they hope to share with Airdrie United for the upcoming campaign.

A repeat of what happened in English rugby last year (when Rotherham was denied promotion) would be a disgrace for the Scottish FA. What, if they should deny Falkirk promotion, would prevent the premiership from loading up rules (stadium or otherwise) that none of the Div. I teams (save St. Johnstone and St. Mirren) could implement. I think the SPL clubs are currently dealing with Falkirk in a dubious manner. :)

Haven't really been following it as it looked things would be going Falkirk's way.

Don't know how they could possible deny them promotion especially as they've just torn through Div. 1. Not saying as I'm happy Motherwell's going down, they're an enigma, but yeah, it would allmost be criminal.

Still a lot of changes in the SPL this year and they've all been for the better as far as I'm concearned so if Falkirk can get their grounds up and going in a reasonable time don't see as how you can deny them promotion in good conscense.

If a club dose have SPL ambitions it must certainly expect SPL standards. I think with the new voting structure in the SPL the smaller clubs have more of a fairer shake than ever before.

Stadium improvents are long overdue just about everywhere (not just Scotland, eh) and they've been of great benefit to the game.

Livingston's improvements have laid a good foundation to that club's continued revival. Hearts are looking to build and then there is of course Celtic Park which has gone a long way to increasing club revenues.

Minority of one

This isn't really a comment on Falkirk, but it's about the SPL. In fact, this isn't about relegation from/promotion to the SPL but rather what's going on at the top end of the table. I originally posted it as part of a post in the Canadian National Teams section, Canadians abroad thread but have since moved it here.

Using goal difference to break ties in the table is silly, especially for the championship, especially in Scotland. The other day I saw highlights of Celtic vs. Dundee and everyone was going nuts as Celtic put in a fourth, fifth and sixth goal, then when Dundee scored their second to make it 6-2 it was as if Celtic had just gone down a goal. It's not right to have the two big clubs trying to thrash the small clubs at the end of the season just to have a better goal difference. If Celtic and Rangers finish tied on points they should have a playoff, as is done in Italy.

I'd take a single game winner take all. Thinking most fans would to excepting of course one club may be hard done by at seasons end with injurys and what not but that's life.

SPL has addressed some of the quality inequities this season with the clubs. They've split the last third of the season into an "A" and "B" side so no top six SPL club well play a "B" side club for the last bit of the year and of course the opposite applies. TV money is being more evenly distributed next season so you don't get this continual feeding of revenue to the top six clubs litterialy at the expense of the other SPL sides.

Put these improvements down to a mutiny by the non-Old Firm sides. A nasty bit of local Scottish footy politics could have given FIFA a big headache.

Minority of one

Using goal difference to break ties in the table is silly, especially for the championship, especially in Scotland. The other day I saw highlights of Celtic vs. Dundee and everyone was going nuts as Celtic put in a fourth, fifth and sixth goal, then when Dundee scored their second to make it 6-2 it was as if Celtic had just gone down a goal. It's not right to have the two big clubs trying to thrash the small clubs at the end of the season just to have a better goal difference. If Celtic and Rangers finish tied on points they should have a playoff, as is done in Italy.

Well, there has to be a way to prevent the season from going on indefinately. Is there any place other than Italy where playoffs are used to decide promotion/relegation when there are point ties? What happens if there is a 3-way draw on points, such as there will be if Modena draw and both Reggina and Atalanta win this weekend? Is it an elimination series of one-offs, the first two teams having the worst goal difference?[8D]

Yes, it is good that 'the rest' in Scotland finally said "enough" to the Boring Firm, and finally got some more of the action. Of course, last time I wrote this, I got the usual retarded wind-up comments from one poster, which didn't change the validity of this point - it is vital that Celtic and Rangers realise that (a) they are not getting into the English league, and (B) they are not getting into a pan-European league. They have to give their opponents at least the finances to compete in the cups, or their long-term finances will also decline. Personally, if I lived in Scotland I'd support my local team, but I can't imagine wanting to go watch one of the OF thrash them - those would definitely be games that I'd give a miss to.

With plans in the works from Falkirk for a new stadium, they should be promoted on merit. The next club to be worried are Inverness, who also won't meet the standard.

If Falkirk do get to go up, the folks in Airdrie will be pissed. You can see one half of the argument, but surely a gradual time frame could have been applied. On the other hand, Falkirk have had previous plans get postponed. It's sticky, but you'd like to see the little guys get their shot.

Cheers.

Falkirk denied promotion (From BBC Football)

The Falkirk delegation arrives at Hampden for the vote

Falkirk have missed out on promotion to the Scottish Premier League after a vote of the 12 clubs went against them.

SPL chairmen voted on Friday to deny them entry into the top flight, although it was not disclosed how close the voting was.

Falkirk had been asked to provide proof that their ground-share with present tenants Airdrie United at the Excelsior Stadium satisfied the SPL's rules over primacy of tenure.

But their argument failed to win the required majority of votes and it now seems certain that they will have to play First Division football next season, while the SPL's bottom club Motherwell will remain in the league.

Falkirk have no right of appeal to the SPL, but will examine other avenues of appeal.

The news is devastating for the First Division champions who had been convinced they had done enough to convince the SPL members of their right to promotion.

SPL goes down to the wire

"Naturally we are bitterly disappointed, because we put forward a robust case for promotion," chairman Campbell Christie said in a statement.

"Our legal advice, including an opinion from senior counsel, was that our interim stadium arrangement was robust. We will be asking the SPL to explain their decision.

"We will take stock of the situation and will consider our next steps in discussion with our lawyers.

"Until we decide how we will respond to the SPL decision, a period of uncertainty will remain that makes planning for next season even more difficult for the club."

We are sorry for our players and fans, but many of them will not be surprised by the SPL's decision

Falkirk chairman Campbell Christie

SPL chairman Lex Gold confirmed that Falkirk's only avenue of appeal would be through the courts.

"It is open to Falkirk to appeal this at law but it is doubtful they would be able to appeal through the Scottish Football Association," he added.

"I do appreciate that Falkirk will be very disappointed. They have a very good board who are a credit to the club.

"But the judgement of the clubs was made on the basis of the information available."

The decision is a potential lifesaver for struggling Motherwell, who have been in administration for over a year now and for whom relegation would have spelled potential disaster.

Club administrator Bryan Jackson said: "We sympathise with Falkirk supporters but obviously we are very relieved to remain in the SPL next season.

"The past year has been extraordinarily difficult at Motherwell. Recently it has been impossible to plan for next season and the prospect of relegation has not helped in our attempts to find a buyer or to re-structure the club.

"Playing in the SPL next season will ensure the club will remain on a sound financial footing."

Manager Terry Butcher added: "Our players responded well in very difficult circumstances for the club and playing in the SPL next season is the news they desperately were waiting to hear."

Gold also confirmed that the 10 clubs who announced their resignation from the league last year had formally withdrawn those resignations at the meeting.

Email this to a friend Printable version

Links to more Falkirk stories

In This SectionFalkirk denied promotionHughes is Bairns bossFalkirk 2-3 Inverness CTFalkirk wait goes onPromotion row rumbles onSt Mirren 1-2 FalkirkFalkirk vote postponedFalkirk face SPL D-dayFalkirk 3-0 Ayr UnitedUnited court CoyleCoyle hat-trick clinches titleFalkirk send SPL messageFergie and Faddy showSPL split under review

SEE ALSO

Hughes is Bairns boss

20 May 03 | Other Scottish

Falkirk wait goes on

08 May 03 | Scottish Premier

Promotion row rumbles on

05 May 03 | Scottish Premier

Falkirk vote postponed

02 May 03 | Falkirk

Falkirk face SPL D-day

29 Apr 03 | Football

Falkirk send SPL message

19 Apr 03 | Other Scottish

ALSO IN THIS SECTION

Falkirk denied promotion

Hughes is Bairns boss

Falkirk 2-3 Inverness CT

Falkirk wait goes on

Incredible nonscense.

It all has to be true because it's too stupid for someone's imagination to fabricate.

I'd pay good money to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting. Thinking the vote was closer than anyone would care to admit.

Minority of one

Many have probably seen the information but the vote was 7-5 against promotion. My guess is that the six in the bottom half of the table voted against. My question is why the hell should Motherwell get a vote? Geez, I wonder how they voted? The sad thing is Falkirk's finances are in much better shape than the Well. As well, from my recollection, of all the division one grounds only St. Johnstone, Raith (although may need some upgrades) and St. Mirren would meet the SPL's regulations. Clyde has the best stadium in Division one (8,000 all seater) but it would need to add almost 2,000 seats to meet the 10,000 guideline. Obviously Airdrie United's (second div.) would meet requirements.

Archived