2021-21 European Club performance by country

Obinna

Now that group play is done in Europe, I was curious at how clubs fared based on country.

I was inspired to do this because we now have conference league and I was curious how the results panned out with 3 European competitions.

I threw this together in like 20 minutes so there may be errors, but this was the methodology:

Conference League advancement - 1 point

Europa League advancement - 2 points

Champions League advancement - 3 points

If a club from your country got knocked out of Europe entirely, your country never earned a point (like Club Brugge). However, if you got relegated to say Europa League (like Barcelona), that is worth 2 points, even though they were bounced from Champions League.

Anyways, here is a screencap of my crudely slapped together spreadsheet....excuse any mistakes or typos.

image.png.e53b5b7e48a7fabeb2d332d36a58449c.png

Interestingly, the expected hierarchy of leagues remained intact, more or less. Spain was top, followed by England and then Italy. France actually came out ahead of Germany (would have been a draw had Dortmund advanced). Then Portugal was next, followed by the Netherlands. Austria definitely outperformed because RB Salzburg advanced, otherwise they would be near the bottom, as you would expect. On the other hand, Belgium underperformed with Genk and Club Brugge both getting knocked out of Europe all together. 

Anyhow, if this is interesting please feel free to discuss. I am curious to see if anyone has an opinion on it!

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wasn't trying to re-create the UEFA country coefficients. I am aware of their existence, but thanks anyways.

I was just tossing this together for my own entertainment, just as a way to unwind from work. Just figured I would post it here in case anyone was interested. If not all good!

• 3 weeks later...