FC Cincinnat to MLS?

I was blown away by this article, in all respects. Deep-pocket owners, sport management experience, nice stadium with steep stands, great for soccer, and 15,000 a game in USL. Then the amazing sports rivalries you get in Ohio, and the youth soccer base.

I mean, you can talk all you want about expansion prospects, but those numbers and that venue, in a month's of USL existence, are MLS quality, say no more.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/05/13/another-orlando-inside-charts-exciting-rise-fc-cincinnati

Without promotion/relegation in North American soccer.. MLS is going to have a problem.  You will have examples like this where a lower league team is in some cases doing better than MLS teams (in terms of attendance) and ultimately could buy better players/become a better team.

If MLS looks at FC Cincinnati and say you are now good enough to be awarded a franchise but also turns around a gets rid of teams like Chivas or another poor performing MLS team then it is effectively already promotion/relegation via a central entity.  Team performance are not deciders who gets in the league but MLS executives are.

You add the weird salary system MLS has implemented on top of this and the league will quickly become a joke.

I think it's disingenuous to say North American soccer fans couldn't handle a pro/rel system.  It is used virtually everywhere else in the world and most people who follow soccer know about it and how it works.  The MLS had to transition away from some of the Americanization elements it had in the 90's (playing in football stadiums, shootouts for tie games) and I think lack of pro/rel will have to be something it moves away from as well.

Except Chivas would have been relegated several years in a row so their financial relegation was a fitting end to a bad experiment from a time when the league was desperate.

It is not a problem for MLS. It is their whole plan. 2 leagues, east and west, with 16 to 18 teams in each and very little interplay until the playoff tournament. With franchise fees at 40+ million another 10-12 teams is half a billion for the owners. It will never be pro/rel in MLS. There is zero financial motivation for it.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I mean, you can talk all you want about expansion prospects, but those numbers and that venue, in a month's of USL existence, are MLS quality, say no more.

“We felt it was important to put it out there that the USL is an aspirational league, and Cincinnati views ourselves as a big league town … We had to let people know that long-term, we would have the goal to be like an Orlando City and have an opportunity to be promoted. People had to understand where we fit and what our goals were.”

Have a good plan, think big and let everyone know about it. I can definitely see MLS scooping this market and any other market that can prove themselves at getting the fans out to games.

On 2016/05/14 at 11:37 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was blown away by this article, in all respects...

This is a city with pretty much zero soccer history of note from the NASL or MISL eras and subsequent D2 level stuff that isn't a prime destination for recent immigrants. This shows soccer is entering the cultural fabric in middle America.

FC CINCINNATI SMOKE POLICY

Before a smoke device is used at a FC Cincinnati match, all persons involved are issued copies of, and receive instruction on the Club policy related to these devices to include:

• The type of approved device allowed,
  • The approved timing and method of use,
  • The specific approved locations for use,
  • Safety equipment required in those locations,
  • Any red flag conditions that would change the normal procedures for use.

Participants shall acknowledge that the opportunity to discharge smoke devices at Nippert Stadium is a privilege and not a right, and as such this privilege can be suspended at any time. Any individual participating in this process that is not employed by the Club or Nippert Stadium shall immediately comply with all instructions given by the Club/Nippert Stadium personnel.

All participants shall sign a “Policy Receipt Acknowledgement” form indicating they understand the policy and its requirements.

The person performing the discharge should not be intoxicated or under the influence of others who are.

A very good policy to encourage a fan atmosphere right from the get go... you have to wonder if they did not have a looser policy would they have the depth of atmosphere ?

Archived