Penalty shots to decide games

Toje

Various leagues up to the CFL (3rd division) in the Czech Republic now decide games with penalty shots if they end in a draw.  This has been going on for a few years now.  I am still not too sure what to think about this, but it doesn't really bother me either way.

I was just wondering if there are other countries which have this rule?

Yes, regular league games.  The Czech FA tested it about 4 years ago in the Plzen area, and now the various leagues can decide if they want to introduce the penalty kicks or not.  As I said, even the 3rd division league (CFL) which is semi-pro/professional has penalty kicks.

What is it with some people's obsession with not having draws?

Agreed. Nothing wrong with draws. In fact, if no team could win after 90 minutes, neither deserves a second chance to win a lottery that is essentially penalties. It's most fair to end it as a draw.

Not having draws is also an indicator that a fan base doesn't have the attention span or patience to live with games that end neutrally. Needing wins and losses to stay interested indicates the game itself isn't interesting enough.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with draws. In fact, if no team could win after 90 minutes, neither deserves a second chance to win a lottery that is essentially penalties. It's most fair to end it as a draw.

Not having draws is also an indicator that a fan base doesn't have the attention span or patience to live with games that end neutrally. Needing wins and losses to stay interested indicates the game itself isn't interesting enough.

.... but what about the Czech Republic?  People here love football, and have the patience to live with games that end in a draw.  So, I still don't know why they (the football people in this country) decided to have penalty kicks to decide a game.

It's not my patience or attention span it's my OCD telling me it's not finished!

Having said that I don't like penalty kicks or shootouts to end games. Play until you win is the best way but not always practical.

It's not my patience or attention span it's my OCD telling me it's not finished!

Fair enough lol.

.... but what about the Czech Republic?  People here love football, and have the patience to live with games that end in a draw.  So, I still don't know why they (the football people in this country) decided to have penalty kicks to decide a game.

I wouldn't know why either then. When the NHL had their 2005 lockout, they came up with a bunch of (mostly silly) rules which hindered how fair games were to increase marketing appeal. The shootout was one of them. It forced a winning team from two sides who couldn't beat each other in regulation and overtime. They did it to appeal to fans in weaker hockey markets.

MLS did it for similar reasons. It was just a show to get people hyped about games, and, if anything, the style of shootouts they did made them a joke to footy fans who followed leagues before them.

In soccer, it seems a stretch to end games which don't need a winner by penalties.

Archived