League 1 Ontario Women (2015 season)

March 26th and League 1 Ontario adds a 7th franchise for their inaugural Women's season.

Newest team is Woodbridge Strikers who join ANB Futbol, Durham United, North Mississauga SC, Pro Stars FC, Sanjaxx Lions and Vaughan SC.  All but North Mississauga SC also have a team in the Men's league.

I remember I was at a Woodbridge Men's game last year and the 1999 girls were introduced as winners of the 2014 Disney International World Youth Cup.  Good to see they will soon be able to join League 1 play instead of just being ball girls.  Well maybe 16 is a bit young for these girls to immediately make their new team. 

The schedule is not out yet. 

I know it's not for 2015, but there's a good interview between Marc Tougas and PLSQ commish Kambiz Ebadi and they talked about the potential of a Women's side in  PLSQ. It was mentioned that Ontario was more eager to launch their WL1O because they don't have something that compares to the LSEQ in Quebec. He believes that there are only 4 teams in the province that can go at a level that is what they expect from a PLSQ team. (IIRC they need 5 teams to have a women's division) It's also mentioned that they have to talk to the two W-League teams if they want to do something. He said that they would be interested in a Quebec-Ontario league in 2016 if they can work that project with the W-League teams. It's mentioned that it wouldn't be a full league but a partnership so Quebec teams go to Ontario from time to time and they do vice versa, but it would be more like interleague play.

http://www.la90eminute.com/vers-une-division-feminine-en-plsq/

I was reading this morning about a Scandinavian women's league getting $1.5 million CDN from lottery proceeds, a half million for the second women's division, and a half million for the Cup.  I haven't looked at the Ontario lottery proceeds for a couple years but I remember seeing exorbitant amounts going to local community clubs for fields and jobs for people.  We have given 10s of millions of dollars to essentially recreational clubs, L1O should request similar to the Europeans.

Archived