FIFA U-20 WWC Edmonton Games August 5 - 16

Is there anyone on this board who will be attending any of these games in Edmonton?

Canada doesn't play any group games here but the Group of Death (Group B with Germany, USA, Brazil and China) plays four matches here on August 5th and 8th where they are double headers starting at 5:00 PM local time. One ticket gets you in to both games and I am looking at Section P where there are lots of seats in the first 6 rows for a $27.50 ticket price that includes all of the Ticket Master and other fees. Anyone in for this??

I should be at the rest of the Edmonton games. I couldn't make last night's games, but will definitely be there Friday and I am very excited about it. I've never been to an outdoor soccer game, let alone an international game. But this tournament (and next year's Women's World Cup) will allow me to cross off countries from my list of having seen that sports like hockey and baseball cannot.

I'm a fan of the indoor game and used to go to Saskatoon Accelerators games when they existed in the CMISL. So I am not completely unfamiliar with the game, but I am not someone who watches EPL or La Liga games on TV. So this will be a new experience for me. I didn't catch any of the highlights of the Edmonton games from last night, did any of the countries' supporters make the trek? I was hoping that despite the 10,000 or so that were there that there would be some hardcore fans that would give it a "real" soccer experience for me.

Good point; I almost forgot that Canada could play a quarter final here depending on how they place in their group.

With the loss last night, it is probably safe to say Canada won't be playing a quarterfinal game in Edmonton? I'm assuming like in hockey tournaments, generally the top team in each pool is undefeated and the second place has 1 loss etc. If Canada isn't playing for the novelty and potentially a little political intrigue, I would like to see North Korea play China.

I will be at the double header tomorrow night. A friend and I are bringing our 14 yr old daughters. I don't know the seat numbers but are there any V's going to be there? I would like to say hello if so.

Mapleblood and I were at Tuesday's game at the front of section P getting into it like Voyageurs should, only more subdued because there was no Canadian team to support. For Friday's game I am in Section J Row 15 Seat 4 or 5 so stop by to say hello if you can but for me this isn't really a classic Voyageur experience; more of a night out with my other half and another couple who are bringing their two daughters to their first live international soccer match. Not too sure about how many other Vs will show up for this but I did see afew familiar faces on Tuesday so you never know.

I should be at the rest of the Edmonton games. I couldn't make last night's games, but will definitely be there Friday and I am very excited about it. I've never been to an outdoor soccer game, let alone an international game. But this tournament (and next year's Women's World Cup) will allow me to cross off countries from my list of having seen that sports like hockey and baseball cannot.

I'm a fan of the indoor game and used to go to Saskatoon Accelerators games when they existed in the CMISL. So I am not completely unfamiliar with the game, but I am not someone who watches EPL or La Liga games on TV. So this will be a new experience for me. I didn't catch any of the highlights of the Edmonton games from last night, did any of the countries' supporters make the trek? I was hoping that despite the 10,000 or so that were there that there would be some hardcore fans that would give it a "real" soccer experience for me.

Can't say for sure whether there was too much traveling support there or whether the local diaspora of the countries playing just came out to support "the old country". I saw quite a few Germany jerseys and colours but then I saw tons of them during the men's World Cup too. I saw some USA support that could have been travellers and of course there is always a smattering of Brazil jerseys at these games; some are actually connected to Brazil and the majority are worn by band wagon jumpers who haven't yet realized that the myth of Brazilian soccer invincibility has been exposed. The most noticeable, most organized and most passionate group of supporters were there to support the Chinese team and in that case I suspect most of them were Chinese - Canadians as opposed to travellers from China.   

Mapleblood and I were at Tuesday's game at the front of section P getting into it like Voyageurs should, only more subdued because there was no Canadian team to support. For Friday's game I am in Section J Row 15 Seat 4 or 5 so stop by to say hello if you can but for me this isn't really a classic Voyageur experience; more of a night out with my other half and another couple who are bringing their two daughters to their first live international soccer match. Not too sure about how many other Vs will show up for this but I did see afew familiar faces on Tuesday so you never know.

So Mapleblood is not your other half...? Here I thought he was the dark side to your sunny disposition.

So Mapleblood is not your other half...? Here I thought he was the dark side to your sunny disposition.

My other half and I have an arrangement; if the activity involves soccer, stadiums or large amounts of travel to go somewhere off the beaten path, then I am on my own. If the activity involves a yoga or meditation retreat, then she is on her own.

That has allowed me to lead my notorious double life as a Voyageur. So Mapleblood fits in there as the evil twin when it comes to the Eddies or any of our National teams.

BTW, have you made it out to any of the U-20 matches in Toronto or Montreal??

Can't say for sure whether there was too much traveling support there or whether the local diaspora of the countries playing just came out to support "the old country". I saw quite a few Germany jerseys and colours but then I saw tons of them during the men's World Cup too. I saw some USA support that could have been travellers and of course there is always a smattering of Brazil jerseys at these games; some are actually connected to Brazil and the majority are worn by band wagon jumpers who haven't yet realized that the myth of Brazilian soccer invincibility has been exposed. The most noticeable, most organized and most passionate group of supporters were there to support the Chinese team and in that case I suspect most of them were Chinese - Canadians as opposed to travellers from China.   

I'll be honest, since I have no stake in any of the teams playing either. Count me in as someone who bought a Brazil hat because Brazil was going to be playing. WalMart had them cheap during the Men's World Cup, I generally like to have a hat and/or t-shirt to match one of the teams involved. I believe I am in Section J for the tournament. Since I've never been to an outdoor soccer game, I figured midfield is probably a good place to sit.

I guess I shouldn't have said travellers, but what I meant is groups of hardcore fans that chant and sing and whatnot like the Vs or the Red Patch Boys type of thing. That's what I like about international sports events, is that there are usually some hardcore fans that bring some traditions not normally seen in Canadian league games. There were Venezuela supporters at the 2009 World Baseball Classic I went to, that despite being blown out by the Americans made lots of noise and blew trumpets etc. Very different than going to a MLB game here. So I was hoping to take in some of that atmosphere at this tournament. Glad to hear the Chinese fans were doing that.

One possibility for the Quarterfinal that intrigues me would be a North Korea/China match. Of course I would love to see Canada play, but it would give a little bit of political intrigue (at least in my mind) such as it was for those two nations to play.

My other half and I have an arrangement; if the activity involves soccer, stadiums or large amounts of travel to go somewhere off the beaten path, then I am on my own. If the activity involves a yoga or meditation retreat, then she is on her own.

That has allowed me to lead my notorious double life as a Voyageur. So Mapleblood fits in there as the evil twin when it comes to the Eddies or any of our National teams.

BTW, have you made it out to any of the U-20 matches in Toronto or Montreal??

Yes watched Canada..Ghana in Toronto...with group of Coaches doing a Analysis ...seminar.

I haven't been able to make it up for last week's games. I saw the forecast and decided I didn't want to sit in severe thunderstorms had they happened Friday. However, I plan to be there tomorrow night and definitely will be there cheering on Canada. Anyone know if they have merch for sale of the teams? For not being much of a soccer fan, I don't have any Team Canada soccer hats (I doubt they have 3XL t-shirts for sale).

Archived