Seattle Sounders forced to play their fourth-string goalkeeper

Alberto7

I saw this article on the MLS site about injuries to the entire Sounders' goalkeeping corps. They have had to sign Andrew Webber (ex-Impact) on loan from the USL:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/15/seattle-sounders-hit-injury-crisis-once-again-goalkeeper-michael-gspurning-o

Does anyone remember an instance where the top three keepers on a team were injured at the same time? I remember Chelsea losing both Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini in the same game a few years back but third-string keeper Hilario filled in during the next few weeks until one of them was able to come back.

I also remember TFC bringing in the League pool goalkeeper a few times in 2007 and even playing him when Sutton was injured but I can't recall an instance where all three keepers were injured.

Where is Sam Reynolds when you need him.

What was the context when Mosalve played that match for TFC (Chicago I think)? Sutton and Djekanovic must have been hurt. I think Kenny S. came in shortly thereafter.

I think TFC played five keepers that year - Sutton, Stopsemallforus, Djekanovic, Reynolds and Monsalve

Where is Sam Reynolds when you need him.

What was the context when Mosalve played that match for TFC (Chicago I think)? Sutton and Djekanovic must have been hurt. I think Kenny S. came in shortly thereafter.

I think TFC played five keepers that year - Sutton, Stopsemallforus, Djekanovic, Reynolds and Monsalve

Yes they played five keepers but they had a few others on the bench: Tomer Chenchinski started the season as backup but they released him a few games in after he had appeared in a few reserve games. There was also Jon Busch during training camp who was let go just before the season started. I seem to remember another league pool keeper, Boris Pardo, backed up one of the regular keepers for a couple of games.

I just had a look at Rocket Robin's (excellent) site to see which keepers played in 2007.

1) Sutton played the early part of the season until he got called to the Gold Cup and was concussed(8 appearances). He was backed up by Chenchinski, Reynolds and Djekanovic.

2) Djekanovic then played part of the season(from the Gold Cup on) with Monslave as backup. 8 appearances total.

3) Monslave only played one game (with Djekanovic as backup). He was only 18 at the time and TFC's third string keeper.

4) Stamatopoulos was brought in as of August and he played every single game(12 appearances), with Djekanovic and Reynolds as backups.

5) Reynolds played one complete game and part of a 2nd before he was injured. This was before Stamatopoulos arrived on the scene.

So we never had a situation where all three regular keepers were injured.

FIY information Srdjan is now coach of the team at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Richmond BC and has his own academy http://www.primosports.ca/. Which of those five keepers had the best stats that year, anyone know?

Can't be bothered to put this in table formatting, but you get the idea. Stama played the most and surprisingly, Djekanovic had the best GAA of the three main keepers.

UNF POS PLAYER GP GS MIN SHTSSVS GA GAA PG PA W L T SHO

39 GK Kenny Stamatopoulos 12 12 1080 61 41 20 1.67 4 4 1 8 3 2

1 GK Greg Sutton 8 8 720 53 36 15 1.88 2 2 2 5 1 1

18 GK Srdjan Djekanovic 8 7 635 34 22 9 1.28 1 1 2 3 2 2

22 GK Sam Reynolds * 2 2 175 11 9 2 1.03 1 1 1 0 1 0

22 GK David Monsalve * 1 1 90 10 7 3 3.00 0 0 0 1 0 0

"Whatever"

Given the league, normally the response I'd be inclined to take because...

"Meh..."

It's MLS after all and in most instances the non-starting 'keepers, whether they're 2nd, 3rd, or 4th usually don't have a heck of a lot to chose between them. Experience off-setting raw talent, that sort of thing. However, in this instance I'm inclined to lean towards...

"Whoah!"

Because no matter how you slice it that's pretty f'king harsh.

Can't be bothered to put this in table formatting, but you get the idea. Stama played the most and surprisingly, Djekanovic had the best GAA of the three main keepers.

UNF POS PLAYER GP GS MIN SHTSSVS GA GAA PG PA W L T SHO

39 GK Kenny Stamatopoulos 12 12 1080 61 41 20 1.67 4 4 1 8 3 2

1 GK Greg Sutton 8 8 720 53 36 15 1.88 2 2 2 5 1 1

18 GK Srdjan Djekanovic 8 7 635 34 22 9 1.28 1 1 2 3 2 2

22 GK Sam Reynolds * 2 2 175 11 9 2 1.03 1 1 1 0 1 0

22 GK David Monsalve * 1 1 90 10 7 3 3.00 0 0 0 1 0 0

I knew the answer actually. But I have always supported Srdjan and know what the stats were that year. And on top of it, put on a black TFC keeper's shirt with his name on the back and the chicks will appear out of nowhere! Another objective piece of data.

Archived