Attendance in Toronto(BMO)

Just trying to keep my nerves in tact before the big game so I just thought I would look for some answers regarding the attendances at BMO so far in regards to our mens team over the past few years. The best attendance was versus Jamaica in the qualifying for the 2010 World Cup. BMO was more or less sold out for that one, the stadium was full even the upper west stand. However, that was the last time BMO was sold out for a mens national team game. First of all the Voyageurs did a great job getting people to the game,however, the fact we were playing Jamaica also played a role in BMO being full. The Jamaican community is probably one of the largest ones in Toronto of all the CONCACAF nations we play against,therefore, there was a big Jamaican contigent at that game. I would guess that of the over 20,000 at that game that night, at least 6,000 were there for Jamaica, which make sense because if you go back to the first round games we have played at BMO in this phase of qualifying for Brazil we have probably been averaging about close to 14,000 and that's including all games right up to our last game versus Cuba.

So far in this qualifying process we have not played a country that has a big community of people from the respective countries we have played living here in Toronto. Therefore, apart from a few hundred fans BMO has mainly been full of people supporting Canada. I also feel that another reason that BMO was sold out for the Jamaican game was that TFC was still filling BMO at that time and the national team was able to get some of that spill over to the Jamaican game.

The attendance so far has been good, I give Toronto a B if I had to grade the attendance so far for this qualifying process towards Brazil 2014. I still feel there is no reason we can't fill a 22 000 seat soccer specific stadium in the biggest city in Canada for a team trying to qualify for the biggest sporting event in the world in a city that was filling BMO for it's MLS team game in game out for the past few years. Therefore, if we make it to the Hex, I would hope if Toronto once again gets all of the games or some we would be able to fill BMO for as many games that we get.

Hopefully this thread has some significance later tonight! I have no doubt if matches are played at BMO in the Hex the stadium will be sold out! It just makes this afternoon's match that much more important to build on the interest that is there!

Heard a lot of interesting comments from people from all over over the last while. I'm not optimistic about moving games around, but if we perform well and make it to the Hex, I think it would be time to move the games around the country, but still have probably 2 of the 5 home games at BMO if possible.

Heard a lot of interesting comments from people from all over over the last while. I'm not optimistic about moving games around, but if we perform well and make it to the Hex, I think it would be time to move the games around the country, but still have probably 2 of the 5 home games at BMO if possible.

Regrettably we out west have no grass pitches left since they put the fake turf in Edmonton so "moving around" would be Toronto and Montreal probably in a 3-2 split. You lucky bastages :)

Was wondering about this as well.

Who says BC has a stadium with real grass? Don't we just have grass in Toronto and Montreal now? Is BC an option currently?

I suspect 3 out of 5 should/will be in Toronto. For USA, it really don't matter, Mexico will sell out either in TO or Montreal. CR, Panama and Guat/Jamaica are all popular in Toronto, but Canadian fans should outnumber in each.

Mexico is most obvious as the game that will have majority Mexico noise. Guate as well. Likely less of an issues for Panama/CR.

I'd love a game in the east coast - St. Johns perhaps?

3 in Toronto, 1 in Montreal and 1 in St.Johns? How do we placate the west, especially in this Harper world? CSA might otherwise lose all their funding? Do we play vs. USA or Mexico on Turf?

Archived