Montreal officially first canadian MLS team to reach 11 wins, on expansion year!

phil7777

Eddie Johnson has 13 goals for Seattle so far.

Bad trade for Montreal IMHO. One of the few bad decisions from Marsch this year.

Actually Marsch has to be given credit for Montreal's success but he has made a fairly large number of bad decisions this year. On the trade/selection front the three that immediately come to mind are the Ching fiasco, the equally bad Bobby Burling fiasco and the terrible Justin Braun for James Riley trade (basically a starting RB for someone who has no business playing in MLS).

However, I don't think the Johnson trade was a bad one. As LSM stated it seemed he did not want to come to Montreal in the first place. Also while he has worked out for Seattle it was still a pretty risky signing. He had a good career in MLS followed by 4 years of failure in England though with a short loan to Greece where he did ok for a few months. He has a bit of an attitude as well so given all that I don't think they were wrong to take a trade instead of trying to make him play for us.

We were on the top of the Allocation list but so far there have only been two allocation selections this year and the list is reset after every year. The next two teams on the list are New England and TFC and they did not get anything for their allocation so Neagle/Fucito is a decent return. Fucito did not work out but I think it was more of a case of someone not fitting in to the team than him being a poor player. Neagle has been a useful acquisition, starting close to half of our games and subbing in a lot of the rest. He has some upside and is still fairly young. Vancouver probably did a little better in trading their allocation for Philadelphia's MLS Superdraft pick which will probably be fairly high but Seattle's pick would have been much worse and that is a future asset and as an expansion team we do need some players for right now. So yes Neagle for Johnson in retrospect is not an even trade but is still a decent return for an allocation selection, an asset only one other team used this year. Had we waited we might not have gotten anything for it (one can't predict whether there will be a future signing or not).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ching fiasco was never clear in my opinion - could have worked out well - just that Ching is an idiot, and Houston ain't going to win the big prize anyways. Ching is a super-sub nowadays.

A betting man wouldn't put money on Houston even beating montreal in the playoffs the way we've been performing.

Marsch has been very good. When you look at what Vancouver did this season, and the number of players moving in and out of that club, and then you look at TFC, I mean, wow - we are the rock of stability here in montreal despite being a new franchise. that's crazy.

Did anyone think Hassli and Le Toux would start together and then both leave before season end? If I were a whitecaps fan, I'd be pissed.

Archived