Montreal officially first canadian MLS team to reach 11 wins, on expansion year!

phil7777

I won't keep going on this, but to be fair, you are describing like 90% of journalists, we all skip past a couple prominient sports writers in the paper becuase they clearly know even less then Duane Rollins and get paid a lot more, but we save our words for this guy (Probably mostly because we know him)?

And if a guy in Montreal posted the exact same thing, I probably wouldn't notice, I'm not an Impact fan, if fairly quickly he got proven wrong I might get a bit of laugh out of it but I should have better things to do then criticize people for being wrong (and I know your going to say 'sooo wrong' but it's a 'sports wrong', not an 'evil wrong'). Your basking over the embaressment of someone who already has to watch TFC play every week (I TOLD YOU SO, guy who writes articles for probably the worst overall franchise in MLS...).

You won't keep going on this, but you do anyways.

90% of journalists are not like Duane Rollins. Duane is not a prominent sports writer. He posts his blog articles on CSN, which is co-hosted by the V's board and is frequented by fans of the 3 Canadian MLS teams. He has strong opinions and sometimes those opinions rub fans of other teams the wrong way. Duane does not apologize for this and as Rudi has pointed out he likes to fight a lot of battles. In this case, the biggest rival of his club is new to the league and he "predicts" or "trolls" depending on your view that Montreal will get an epically bad 10 points! this season and to save the tweet. If that's not a **** you to the Impact fan base then I don't know what is. So, seriously, do you still have a problem seeing why some Impact fans are gloating about it?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you think this is unique to this board then you are misinformed. Living in Ottawa, every second day between January and April of last year there was an article that would reference the fact that the "experts" picked the Senators to finish last in the conference. People generally have a problem with uninformed opinion being passed off as fact, especially when it is accompanied with hubris. This is compounded when the subject at hand is something dear to your heart.

But how far do you go to find an uninformed opinion, at a certain point you should expect it (Rick Mercer's 'Talking to American's').

Everyone has 'political opinions', but most people have a High School conception of politics, do you have any idea how mindnumbingly dumb/arrogant most political conversation sounds to me (I'm a poli sci major)? Am I not a jerk if I have a bunch of fun playing around with the blatantly ignorant, conversely, if I made a stupid prediction, odds are I'm still way more qualified (worth listening to).

It shouldn't be surprising that people are acting the way they are. I would think that if Bob McCown used his considerable media exposure to inform his relatively large audience that the North York Astros were a waste of time and money, you would have a hard time laughing that off.
This is not at all apt, I will vaguely mention my contempt for Bob McCowan but I never email him or bother with his garbage. I am not a fan so I'm not there to pounce on his mistakes. I realized long ago he's all hot air, so I stopped listening years ago.

I'm not saying the two examples are the same, just that it shouldn't be surprising that people have reacted the way they have nor is it indicative of a more deeply rooted problem endemic in the population of this board in particular. When you put your opinion out there, you should be ready for it to be judged and judged harshly by some.

This all makes sense but when the criticism is unreasonable/irrational/symptons-of-depression I start to lose faith in the quality of the commentary (I don't hang out with people who think that everything is conspiracy, or freak out over little things and hold grudges like it's the air they breathe). And I know it can be normal but I find this forum is paticularly stubborn/snobbish/fronting. As douchey as I can be, I'm not even the biggest person in this thread for irrationally digging my feet in when I've said something stupid.

You won't keep going on this, but you do anyways.
Gee whiz thanks for making it easy for me to walk away *rolls eyes*. It takes two to tango eh... I have literally walked away dozens of times by making agree to disagree statements, but anyone thinking that's the time to get a snotty remark in, is just delusional (you might as well be begging me to come back if your going to also be insulting, you know I'm very prideful).

90% of journalists are not like Duane Rollins. Duane is not a prominent sports writer. He posts his blog articles on CSN, which is co-hosted by the V's board and is frequented by fans of the 3 Canadian MLS teams. He has strong opinions and sometimes those opinions rub fans of other teams the wrong way. Duane does not apologize for this and as Rudi has pointed out he likes to fight a lot of battles. In this case, the biggest rival of his club is new to the league and he "predicts" or "trolls" depending on your view that Montreal will get an epically bad 10 points! this season and to save the tweet. If that's not a **** you to the Impact fan base then I don't know what is. So, seriously, do you still have a problem seeing why some Impact fans are gloating about it?

Pick up a newspaper, read an article, 9/10 of them are equal to worse, I read the paper in about 15 minutes becuase 9/10 writers aren't worth more then skimming (if that). How many redundant articles are there? How many overly biased articles? How many outright foolish/ignorant? About 90 percent of the fourth estate is trash.

edit: rather then post again, I'll point out below me that the line isn't having an opinion, it's about using that opinion to rationalize hyperbole.

This is not at all apt, I will vaguely mention my contempt for Bob McCowan but I never email him or bother with his garbage. I am not a fan so I'm not there to pounce on his mistakes. I realized long ago he's all hot air, so I stopped listening years ago.

No one is emailing Duane. Would you snicker with your NY Astro friends about the "ridiculous thing McCown said last night"? Most people would. And most people do. That's all that is going on here. You'll see this anytime like-minded people get together, whether it's Linux lovers bashing Windows users, Ford drivers laughing at Kia drivers or Godspeed You! Black Emperor fans making fun of Nickleback fans.

This all makes sense but when the criticism is unreasonable/irrational/symptons-of-depression I start to lose faith in the quality of the commentary (I don't hang out with people who think that everything is conspiracy, or freak out over little things and hold grudges like it's the air they breathe). And I know it can be normal but I find this forum is paticularly stubborn/snobbish/fronting.

Just because you don't understand what is going on doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the people participating. It's boring and frustrating to spend your life being a diplomat and seeing both sides of an argument. Hell, John Stewart has made a significant living on doing exactly what is going on here. If he didn't have Fox News or Republicans to make fun of or point out their obvious errors/missteps, he'd still be working Chuckle Huts all over North Dakota.

No one is emailing Duane. Would you snicker with your NY Astro friends about the "ridiculous thing McCown said last night"? Most people would. And most people do. That's all that is going on here. You'll see this anytime like-minded people get together, whether it's Linux lovers bashing Windows users, Ford drivers laughing at Kia drivers or Godspeed You! Black Emperor fans making fun of Nickleback fans.

Just because you don't understand what is going on doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the people participating. It's boring and frustrating to spend your life being a diplomat and seeing both sides of an argument. Hell, John Stewart has made a significant living on doing exactly what is going on here. If he didn't have Fox News or Republicans to make fun of or point out their obvious errors/missteps, he'd still be working Chuckle Huts all over North Dakota.

I don't worry about bands I don't like and cars I don't drive, I usually don't repeat every snotty thing people say about the astros. And can we drop the innocent act? This is the forum attached to the site his articles are on, we all know he reads here, but because were on the internet your all pretending like your above having empathy (internet sociopathy)? Why don't you all just form a circle around him and start shoving?

And citing a comedian is just wrong, he is supposed to say the wrong thing, he's supposed to act stupid, he's supposed to over simplify, it's his job. Were all supposed to be playing 'normal human being' here...

I was actually referencing The Daily Show. One of the higher rated cable shows out there and a touchstone for most when discussing American politics. I enjoy watching it, but if he didn't have Fox News/CNN or Republicans to make fun of, there wouldn't be much to the show.

Also, to equate what's going here as bullying or sociopathic is a bit much. And if you think all the impact fans here were just waiting for a chance to jump all over this particular prediction and shove it in Duane's face, that would've happened May 6th after they eclipsed 10 points or June 23rd when they got their 19th point eclipsing Chivas' record of 18 points in their inaugural year.

By Duane?

I've never even met him and would rank him in the middle of the pack for CSN writer (I'll give him points for a large amount of material). I just think this is all gotten a little too mean (I'm really trying to back away from being arguementative here).

And in case anyone read that too dryly, of course I mean Lord Bob.

I think this thread needs more bold text. This thread will get fewer than ten points. Save this prediction.

Lord Bob, I have a big fat "Told you so" post ready to go as soon as Rob Friend makes his glorious return to the CMNT and scores the winning goal to put us through to the WC.

Just so you know.

I was actually referencing The Daily Show. One of the higher rated cable shows out there and a touchstone for most when discussing American politics. I enjoy watching it, but if he didn't have Fox News/CNN or Republicans to make fun of, there wouldn't be much to the show.

Also, to equate what's going here as bullying or sociopathic is a bit much. And if you think all the impact fans here were just waiting for a chance to jump all over this particular prediction and shove it in Duane's face, that would've happened May 6th after they eclipsed 10 points or June 23rd when they got their 19th point eclipsing Chivas' record of 18 points in their inaugural year.

ughhh, I'm going to be hugely diplomatic here, please bear with me.

I was talking about the Daily Show as well.

I was refrencing the general ability of people to act worse from the safety(sometimes anonymity) of the internet, internet sociopathy, not sociopathy sociopathy. And between some of the comments he recieved (I once even tried to enjoy and online game chat(2011 v-cup?)) and people just seeming to dig their claws in a little much ('shove it in Duane's face'?) I was insinuating bullying to a certain degree.

Dear Duane,

As an Impact fan I am personally enjoying how wrong you were in your prediction, especially so because you were kind of cocky about it at the time, though, I'm sure, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. It appears some find this wrong of me, but, as you and I both know, it's not. Keep up the often good, one-time mediocre work.

Love, Keano.

key Raptors in last place prediction, but no boasting about it, therefore not having any egg on his face *here*

You probably picked an extra silly year to make that prediction (unless I'm reading you wrong,in which case don't poke the bull for god's sake, you have better things to do then try and get me going). I thought Keano made a fine (and adult despite the humour) response. I never criticized criticism but I guess you never really understood my point...

You probably picked an extra silly year to make that prediction (unless I'm reading you wrong,in which case don't poke the bull for god's sake, you have better things to do then try and get me going). I thought Keano made a fine (and adult despite the humour) response. I never criticized criticism but I guess you never really understood my point...

Lets agree to disagree, and move on OK bud?

Lets agree to disagree, and move on OK bud?

OK bud (sorry, pride).

we have a pissing contest about who's the 'biggest loser' (don't even bother, it's clearly me).
Maybe my predictions aren't so bad after all (admit it, that's funny). And if anyone cares, the winner was clearly jpg, his final rebuttle is probably the only one that may have affected me long term (it civilly put me in my place, you can`t be too funny or I`ll end up laughing). The only other option is the more difficult pure reason, which usually short term only results in an agree to disagree but I really don't start calling people names out of nowhere but people get upset that I will keep going till they politely say 'I'm tired, agree to disagree?', that's not a loss, no need to go for my ego either.

Have a nice day.

Glad you brought this up because I'm interested in what other Impact supporters have to say about his head coaching debut season.

I would not say that he has been brilliant at all but you do have to give him credit for how the team has performed. On the negative side he has made a lot of the errors one would expect from a first year coach many of which have led directly to us losing games such as poor substitutions and the wrong tactics at the wrong time. He also has continued to play certain players who were playing very poorly like Braun and Ricketts but then when one could not understand how he could not react to their play he traded them away and in the later case received a very good return in Perkins. On the other hand the team seems highly motivated and plays attractive soccer. It is also not easy to form a new team out of players who have never played together and also to control the egos of a team with players of various pedigrees.

He has certainly shown some good signs and promise as a coach and should be retained for next year. On the other hand he got lucky in having a deep expansion draft pool and an owner who bought him some star players who while older do not seem to have declined yet. Overall a good first year as coach for Marsch but also much room for improvement.

I would not say that he has been brilliant at all but you do have to give him credit for how the team has performed. On the negative side he has made a lot of the errors one would expect from a first year coach many of which have led directly to us losing games such as poor substitutions and the wrong tactics at the wrong time. He also has continued to play certain players who were playing very poorly like Braun and Ricketts but then when one could not understand how he could not react to their play he traded them away and in the later case received a very good return in Perkins. On the other hand the team seems highly motivated and plays attractive soccer. It is also not easy to form a new team out of players who have never played together and also to control the egos of a team with players of various pedigrees.

He has certainly shown some good signs and promise as a coach and should be retained for next year. On the other hand he got lucky in having a deep expansion draft pool and an owner who bought him some star players who while older do not seem to have declined yet. Overall a good first year as coach for Marsch but also much room for improvement.

I might argue for a slightly more positive spin on Marsch simply because for the most part, his bad decisions were earlier and his better ones were later, implying a steady improvement. However I totally agree that although he eventually saw the light with Braun and Ricketts he is still poking my eye out with his Arnaud boner among other strange fixations. But all in all I'd say he's progressed to very good in a very short while.

Archived