preferred location for Calgary club

Jason

I thought I'd just throw this out there for discussion. If a new soccer club was slated to begin play in Calgary, where would be your preferred venue? For the purposes of this informal survey, the answer cannot be some mythical new facility. You have to pick something that exists, although you can put a caveat that you would need to expand it in a reasonable and cost effective way (think Clarke Stadium in Edmonton and FCE). I also think we should assume that this new team would either be in NASL, PDL, or another league of similar size. I don't think we've got a chance at MLS anytime soon.

Here are the primary choices. All of these facilities have hosted previous clubs and/or special soccer events:

McMahon Stadium

Foothills Athletic Park

Hellard Field (Shouldice Park)

Calgary Rugby Park

North Glenmore Park

Other (specify)

Possible ideas for "Other" would be the field at Mount Royal, or perhaps at one of the other soccer complexes in town.

Jason

I think McMahon is too big and I don't like the football lines or plastic field.

I would like to see one of Foothills, Hellard Field or Glenmore Athletic Park. They are similar in that they all have natural grass pitches to my knowledge. The current seating capacity at those three seem to be similar, one small stand thats seats maybe 500 and could be easily expanded to 1000 or more. One thing to consider is Foothills and Glenmore have a running track. Parking may also be an issue if there was a team above the level of PDL at Hellard or Glenmore.

I really like how well kept the field looks at Glenmore Athletic Park and so that would be my vote.

A new venue with seating of about 3000 that is SSS. Could be built relatively cheaply if the stands are done to the same specifications as Whitecaps/Lions did for last summer. I realize property is expensive though, so could be done over existing field/facility?

I think McMahon is too big and I don't like the football lines or plastic field.

I would like to see one of Foothills, Hellard Field or Glenmore Athletic Park. They are similar in that they all have natural grass pitches to my knowledge. The current seating capacity at those three seem to be similar, one small stand thats seats maybe 500 and could be easily expanded to 1000 or more. One thing to consider is Foothills and Glenmore have a running track. Parking may also be an issue if there was a team above the level of PDL at Hellard or Glenmore.

I really like how well kept the field looks at Glenmore Athletic Park and so that would be my vote.

Hellard is a plastic field with football lines. Capacity is about 2000. It's a pretty decent facility but really it is football venue where you can also play soccer. As I understand it, those fields at Shouldice were built with fund raised by the local football community. After all, Hellard Field is named after Ted Hellard, one of the former owners of the Stampeders.

Foothills is grass with a track. I haven't really looked at it much since the upgrades for the Olympic track and field qualifiers they did last year. The stands are better than they were in the days when the Calgary Storm used it. I don't know if they ever put lights up though. Capacity is definitely over 2000.

Jason

For me it comes down to these two grass pitches

Glenmore has a capacity of 800 with lights and a PA system

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Athletic-parks/Glenmore-Athletic-Park.aspx

Glenmore-Track-305.jpg

Looks to be a bit more seating at Foothills, but there doesn't appear to be lights

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Athletic-parks/Foothills-Athletic-Park.aspx

Foothills-Athletic-Park-panoramic-610.jpg

Interestingly, there is a planned redevelopment for both of these sites, but as of yet the funding has not been allocated and it could be +/- 10 years before completion.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Research-and-development/Concept-plan-Foothills-and-Glenmore-Athletic-Parks.aspx

Personally I hate pitches that have tracks around them, but the fact both of the ones pictured above are natural grass is pretty unbeatable, considering FCE is an NASL club and doesn't even have an option for natural grass in a city the size of Edmonton. If a club was established at either, I think they'd be in a good place. Where are those two venues pictured above in the city? Are they in good locations?

They are not in the downtown core but not far either. Foothills is on the University grounds, 10 minute drive to the northwest of downtown, right beside where McMahon stadium is. It also has mass transit access via the C-train and ample parking.

Glenmore is probably a slightly further drive to the south of the core. Both are fairly central.

It will be interesting to see if at least one of the new "Fields for life" pitches they are putting in at the Subway Soccer Centre has stands around it (which I believe it will). If so I'd say that would be a good spot for an NASL team to play. Also checked out the brand spanking new "Genesis Centre" in Saddleridge and the two indoor pitches there are fantastic. banjan_field3.jpgThere are also plans for putting an outdoor pitch there as well.

Failing those, I'd have to go for Foothills if we do get refurbishments there, which I'm sure will include lights.

My 2 cents on this.

Stampede Park. It is on the C-Train line, just off downtown, has a 12,000 seat stadium (partially covered), isn't used much except for Stampede (we'd have to be on the road for a month to accomodate setup & takedown of Stampede).

Baseball has been dying a slow death here for some time. I'd like to see foothills baseball stadium (pictured above) renovated for soccer when the current tenant, the Vipers, inevitably folds. That being said, there is no evidence other than the failure of every pro or semi pro baseball club based here to suggest that this will happen.

Baseball has been dying a slow death here for some time. I'd like to see foothills baseball stadium (pictured above) renovated for soccer when the current tenant, the Vipers, inevitably folds. That being said, there is no evidence other than the failure of every pro or semi pro baseball club based here to suggest that this will happen.

The Vipers are dead. While I agree that it would be a good spot, the baseball community has fought hard to keep this facility and I would expect that to continue. They know that the facility will keep the door open to some team or league in the future.

Jason

My 2 cents on this.

Stampede Park. It is on the C-Train line, just off downtown, has a 12,000 seat stadium (partially covered), isn't used much except for Stampede (we'd have to be on the road for a month to accomodate setup & takedown of Stampede).

Interesting idea, but how would you position the pitch so it would be reasonably close to the stands?

Jason

Personally I hate pitches that have tracks around them, but the fact both of the ones pictured above are natural grass is pretty unbeatable, considering FCE is an NASL club and doesn't even have an option for natural grass in a city the size of Edmonton. If a club was established at either, I think they'd be in a good place. Where are those two venues pictured above in the city? Are they in good locations?

Foothills is in a great location with train access and lots of parking. Glenmore is in a decent location, but does not have train access, and parking is somewhat limited.

Jason

For me it comes down to these two grass pitches

Glenmore has a capacity of 800 with lights and a PA system

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Athletic-parks/Glenmore-Athletic-Park.aspx

Glenmore-Track-305.jpg

Looks to be a bit more seating at Foothills, but there doesn't appear to be lights

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Athletic-parks/Foothills-Athletic-Park.aspx

Foothills-Athletic-Park-panoramic-610.jpg

Interestingly, there is a planned redevelopment for both of these sites, but as of yet the funding has not been allocated and it could be +/- 10 years before completion.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Research-and-development/Concept-plan-Foothills-and-Glenmore-Athletic-Parks.aspx

The picture of Foothills is out of date. They have upgraded the facilities for Olympic track and field qualifying. I know there are more seats, and the track has been upgraded a lot. There are a lot of positives to Foothills but it is primarily a track facility.

Jason

A new venue with seating of about 3000 that is SSS. Could be built relatively cheaply if the stands are done to the same specifications as Whitecaps/Lions did for last summer. I realize property is expensive though, so could be done over existing field/facility?

The old Stampeders practice field just south of McMahon has enough room for a small SSS. I'm pretty sure the Stamps don't use it anymore, there is lots of parking and it is close to the C-Train

Archived