2011 CONCACAF U20 Championship

jpg75

Honduras 2-1 Jamaica FT

I watch the end of that game and Honduras won late on a superb free kick. Honduras and Guatemala are through to the next round. Jamaica is out.

Honduras had to work for that win. They were denied the opening goal due to an incorrect offside call and then Jamaica took the lead with a looping blast from 35 yards out that went over the keepers head...The field was tilted towards the Jamaican goal for most of the game.

I also noticed that this tournament is being used as the qualifiers for October's Pan Am Games in Mexico. 3 teams will qualify based on results here, but interestingly enough neither Canada nor the US can qualify. What I've read is that the top Caribbean team along with the top Central American team will qualify along with the best 2nd place team from those regions. Personally, I'll be happy to see Canada make the U-20 WC but extra tournaments and development changes such as the Pan Am's can't be a bad thing.

The final group matches have been completed. Mexico defeats T&T by a score of 5-0! That means that we're facing the Mexicans in the QF's. Also, the US beats Panama 2-0 to win their group and the Hondurans beat Guatemala 3-1 to win their respective group.

QF matchups:

Costa Rica-Cuba

Mexico-Canada

USA-Guatemala

Honduras-Panama

• 2 weeks later...

Archived