2011 CONCACAF U20 Championship

jpg75

^ Thanks. So the camp starts on Sat. March 19th and lasts 5 days and then they're flying to Guatemala for a few days of prep. before the tourny starts Mon. March 28th.

“They said they have another left-back but it’s always good to have two,” Saler said, regarding his chances of making the squad out of camp. “Hopefully it goes well.”

..Saler has never really been on the National radar until now and he credits his time with FC Edmonton for getting the invitation."

Not really ideal to be adding new players right before qualifying, but the players they were using before weren't getting it done so this is an unfortunate necessity.

The way I look at it is at least the coaching staff are open minded and are still on the lookout till the last minute, you never know where the next star could be. I was also looking at where most of the players backgrounds in soccer were and it's incredible the amount of these players that have never been part of any provincial program, that itself speaks volumes about the state of the provincial programs which in my opinion should not exist.

The way I look at it is at least the coaching staff are open minded and are still on the lookout till the last minute, you never know where the next star could be. I was also looking at where most of the players backgrounds in soccer were and it's incredible the amount of these players that have never been part of any provincial program, that itself speaks volumes about the state of the provincial programs which in my opinion should not exist.

I wouldn't say that, most of the players on the U17 team that just qualified were NTC players. Of this batch of U20's there are more then a few players who partiticpated in the provincial and NTC programs such as; Ashtone Morgan, Jerome Baker, Roger Thompson, Kevin Cobby, Russell Teibert, Justin Maheu, Matt Stinson, Jelani Smith...and those are just the Ontario boys..Abde Sylla, Augustin and Dinotka (i think) from Quebec, Ethan Gage from Alberta and Bassi from BC. And the '93's who may or may not make the team: Henry, Lao, Makubuya, Cordon were all in the programs.

And players who haven't been looked at but maybe should be; James Stamatopolous and Allando Matheson.

Speaking of which i mentioned in the last U20 camp thread of a few College players who hadn't been looked at: Emmett O'Connor, Simon Gomez and Emery Welshman. Got a little more info. on these players from talking to JoeSoccerFan (that's his BigSoccer handle) who is a US Youth and College scout for TopDrawerSoccer. I met him at the 2007 U20 WC when I was writing for TDS and he was scouting the US teams college players.

Emery Welshman: a '91 who played for Sigma academy in Toronto before going to Siena College in 2009. He was the MAAC Offensive Player of the Year in 2010 after scoring 13 goals. Made the TDS Top 100 for Upperclassmen. Other scouts were talking about him and Joe was hoping to see him, but:

"I was hoping to watch Siena in the MAAC final this year (primarily to see Welshman), but they lost to Iona."

Emmett O'Connor: a '92 whose father is an OSA staff coach. Joined St. Bonaventure of the Atlantic 10 Conference last Fall. Scored 5 goals and had 7A and was named to A-10 All Freshman team and though was not on either the 1st of 2nd A-10 teams he was listed as one of 5 Honorable Mentions (so a top 27 player). Made TDS Top 100 Freshmen list ahead of Stinson. Here's what Joe had to say:

"I saw Emmet O'Connor (St. Bonaventure) play against Saint Louis in the Atlantic-10 tournament. Here are my comments, "he has special acceleration. He has amazing speed while dribbling, but he is not a good passer while dribbling and he holds the ball too long. He needs to fix these deficiencies, but he has MLS skills. Watching this kid was worth the 5 hour round-trip drive."

Simon Gomez: Not sure his D.O.B but he was a Freshman last fall at Duquesne. He scored 8 goals and 5 A and was also on the A-10 All Freshman squad and did make the A-10 All-Conference 1st team (as a Freshman!). He was the leading scorer in the OSL East U21 in 2010. Also made TDS Top 100 Freshmen list ahead of Stinson. No scouting on him, unfortunately.

http://www.sienasaints.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/121710aaa.html

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587336

http://www.ontariosl.com/ViewArticle.aspx?NewsID=115

Like I said before, they may or may not be good enough but they should have atleast been given a look at by now.

Is the format of this tournament the same as the U-17's were last month?

Pretty much the same thing.

By the way all games from the Round Robin will be on CONCACAF TV. Nothing is indicated for the knockout stage, but it will probably be also on CONCACAF TV.

Watching CRC-GLP now. 28TH min and incredibly its still 0-0. Either GLP is a minnow and we made them look good in the 1st half or CRC is a real powerhouse. This game is completely one sided and GLP are hardly touching the ball

There's a very good possibility travel and heat factors weighed into our first performance. Hopefully things are not as bad next time.

Costa Rica won 3-0. So we are through to the next round

In the other match, a 0-0 draw between Trinidad and Cuba.

I'm just saying if we want to qualify, we have to beat Costa Rica and the team after that. I think we have a better shot qualifying if we win the group and it shouldn't surprise any of us that avoiding El Tri is capital to qualify.

Costa Rica won 3-0. So we are through to the next round

In the other match, a 0-0 draw between Trinidad and Cuba.

I'm just saying if we want to qualify, we have to beat Costa Rica and the team after that. I think we have a better shot qualifying if we win the group and it shouldn't surprise any of us that avoiding El Tri is capital to qualify.

Isn't it though? Isn't it though?

Standard.

I think we have a better shot qualifying if we win the group and it shouldn't surprise any of us that avoiding El Tri is capital to qualify.

That was not always the case in regards to Mexico at the U20 level. But in the past few FIFA youth tournaments (U17 ) they have put together some very impressive results. They won the U17 WC in 2005 and in 2009 they actually beat Brazil in their group play at the last U17. None the less they did fail to qualify for the most recent u20 WC

So, yes, I think we would best to to finish first in the group but we have the goal diff against us now. That first half goal we gave up against GLP could loom large because I just finished watching Cub-T&T and I have no doubt that we could handle those two teams.

Isn't it though? Isn't it though?

Standard.

I haven't counted the number of successful qualifications for mexico in comparison to Canada. I recall that we beat them 1-0 on goal by JDG in Victoria in 2001 and we beat them 2-0 in 2009. In the past 15 years, at the U20 level, we held our own in the region. But recently, yes, I would concur that Mex seem to be on the upswing at this level.

Edit: I just checked again in 2005 and again we beat them. We have had quite a string of success against Mex in U20 play.

Yeah, Mexico has been mediocre at the U20 level the past decade and it's only recently that their selection process hasn't been a crap shoot. Look at their senior team roster and most of the players born after 1987 did not represent Mexico at the youth level.

CR looked good dismantling Guadeloupe 3-0 last night. However, CR are NOT a good team, they were defeated by El Salvador 3-2 agg. (2-1, 1-1) to "qualify" for this tournament (ES were disqualified for using an ineligible player) after they had lost to Panama 1-0 in their group.

Yeah, Mexico has been mediocre at the U20 level the past decade and it's only recently that their selection process hasn't been a crap shoot. Look at their senior team roster and most of the players born after 1987 did not represent Mexico at the youth level.

CR looked good dismantling Guadeloupe 3-0 last night. However, CR are NOT a good team, they were defeated by El Salvador 3-2 agg. (2-1, 1-1) to "qualify" for this tournament (ES were disqualified for using an ineligible player) after they had lost to Panama 1-0 in their group.

I'd still say they are the favourites for this match, lets face it we haven't got any impressive results since this team has been together

Archived