NASL new logo and official ball

PJSweet

Here's the latest news from the NASL...The league is expected to revamp its logo to the photo you see below.

naslcombinebackground-10220.jpg

As per the official playing ball, well there it is. The NASL will open-up the 2011 season playing with this ball. This model was in display at the Tampa press conference not too long ago last week. This is a replica of the old NASL soccer ball of the 1970-80s. The NASL is expected to place the ball on sale to the fans through an online store which is expected to be up-and-running soon.

The new NASL 2011 ball

96boc2.jpg

The old NASL ball 70-80s

vintage-adidas-official-nasl-soccer-ball-telstar-signed_310276392655.jpg

Logo looks good. Who's the ball manufacturer? I hope it's not an amateur teams equipment provider.

Jeremy, I asked NASL Commissioner Aaron Davidson about this, but he was real short in specifics in his email. I would assume that the manufacturer would be ADIDAS, given the fact that the original ball from the 70-80s was licensed by them.

As per the ball being an "...amateur teams equipment provider," well look at this photo which was taking this week from an NASL press conference in Minnesota. There you have the directors of the NASL showing off the ball. With this being said, this ties in with the email I just got from Aaron Davidson whereby he tells me that the NASL is not only revamping the league logo which will reflect and honour the old NASL logo of the 70-80s, but the official soccer ball as well. In other words, the league is paying tribute to the old tradition. Every team in the league is expected to kick off the season by playing with this new ball.

133966_184117931616610_127318503963220_575359_302324_o.jpg

One more thing, the new, and old for that matter, NASL ball is legendary. I'm seriously considering getting one once they becoem available online. It would be a nice little touch if MLS could design a unique, league specfic ball.

Hey!!! I will be the first guy out of anyone here on this forum to get one of those balls online the minute they become available. I waited for this day for nearly 27 years since that dreadful black-October 1984 month when the NASL died a painful death.

One more thing, the new, and old for that matter, NASL ball is legendary. I'm seriously considering getting one once they becoem available online. It would be a nice little touch if MLS could design a unique, league specfic ball.

They sold that style for years after the NASL ended, just without the logo. Have one kicking around my garage somewhere.

I don't think there's a proper thread for this, and I'm too lazy to start a new one. Plus logos for the league and teams sort of fit...

I know there's a lot of complaining about teams logos and crests on this forum and we just had a few released this week. Thought I'd post them up for everyone to see and reflect on.

Fort Lauderdale Strikers FC:

http://www.strikers.com/article/strikers-official-name-announcement

One of the better in the NASL (in my opinion) it doesn't use cartoons, or a standard crest template. I am also glad they didn't decide to do "Fort Lauderdale Strikers FC" (no offence to Vancouver or Montreal). I feel like having a name in addition to the city title and "FC" somewhere in the team name is too long and a little redundent (sort of like what this sentence has become). Personal opinion though. Negatives: it does look overly complicated with the FL script in the middle of the S.

San Antonio Scorpions FC:

http://www.sanantonioscorpions.com/Logo-Ballot.html

Three choices so far here... Personally I hope they choose the cartoon one, as it makes it so much easier to make fun of them. Of the other it seems like a mix of cartoon and template, and very much a template looking crest. As for the name, its also long and repetative in the "Scorpions" and the "FC". I just think that you don't need it.

Archived