NCC Schedule for 2011

with 4 teams in next year's competition two in the east and two in the west. There is the possibility of a doubleheader if im correct we can have the tournament completed in less game days. Considering that the CCL begins in mid-late july, isnt it preferable for the NCC to begin later; for instance, late-mid may???

with 4 teams in next year's competition two in the east and two in the west. There is the possibility of a doubleheader if im correct we can have the tournament completed in less game days. Considering that the CCL begins in mid-late july, isnt it preferable for the NCC to begin later; for instance, late-mid may???

Assuming one day a week for games, the tournament will still be minimum 6 weeks.

In the 6 weeks the tournament lasts, each team has 2 weeks off. If you were to play double headers with 4 teams with no breaks, the season would still last 6 weeks, and you lose the 2 off weeks.

I'm going to throw out an idea for consideration: what if it was a 5 team competition? Toronto FC as reigning champs gets a first round bye. Then you take Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact, FC Edmonton and the 2010 CSL champs - draw names and have those teams pair off. Have a two game home and home total goals setup with the two winners going on to the round robin with TFC. This makes the tourney 10 games instead of 6 and 8 weeks instead of 6. It gives a big incentive to the CSL which should help promote Canadian division 3 soccer - maybe inspire others to get involved. It's entirely possible the same 3 teams get in as this year, but it opens the door at least to other clubs.

Jason

I'm going to throw out an idea for consideration: what if it was a 5 team competition? Toronto FC as reigning champs gets a first round bye. Then you take Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact, FC Edmonton and the 2010 CSL champs - draw names and have those teams pair off. Have a two game home and home total goals setup with the two winners going on to the round robin with TFC. This makes the tourney 10 games instead of 6 and 8 weeks instead of 6. It gives a big incentive to the CSL which should help promote Canadian division 3 soccer - maybe inspire others to get involved. It's entirely possible the same 3 teams get in as this year, but it opens the door at least to other clubs.

Jason

I"m going to throw this out there as my oblogatory response to people saying CSL should get in. If you put the regional Ontario league in then you should also have a rep from the PCSL, the alberta league, the manitona league etc....

Why should one semi pro league get in over others in the country?

I"m going to throw this out there as my oblogatory response to people saying CSL should get in. If you put the regional Ontario league in then you should also have a rep from the PCSL, the alberta league, the manitona league etc....

Because the canadian soccer league, that is. :rolleyes:

;)

My understanding is that the CSL is sanctioned as a Div 3 league by the CSA. Are any of those other leagues sanctioned by the CSA as Div 3 leagues? I don't know if the PCSL is, but I'm pretty sure none of the other ones are. If any of those leagues are, they should have an equal chance compared to the CSL. But if the CSL is the only one, they get the fifth spot ahead of the others.

Jason

Sanctioning aside the teams below Div2 status will not get in until they work out amongst themselves how to select a champion. That is a good thing because it will force them to put aside bickering and work together. It is called the incentive plan. That will be great for the game. I for one would love to see it. I do not think there should be more than 1 Div3 team involved.

As to the format I think they should schedule league games between clubs early enough and use those for Voyageurs' Cup points. Montreal and Edmonton (home & home) along with Vancouver and Toronto (home & home). Then play the interlocking league games.

In 2011 each team plays 4 games outside the league games. In 2012 when Montreal moves up the Edmonton games be the home & away for the 3 MLS clubs for 2 games each outside league play. You could add another Div2 team or the Div3 champ (if they can get their act together) to make 4 extra games for each MLS team.

This would be the best way to determine the Canadian club champ as all teams would play each other without adding too many extra games to the schedule. If the NASL/USL adds more teams in Canada this format keeps the number of extra games manageable and games meaningful as league points are on the line in most games.

Just my 2 cents worth

Archived