5. Monica Lam-Feist
  6. Amy Vermeulen
  7. Sophie Schmidt
  8. Desiree Scott
  9. Kendra Flock
  10. Julie Armstrong
  11. Jodi-Ann Robinson
  12. Kirsteen Buchan

Should be a great summer for them all. Congratulations to the Whitecaps for putting together the great program and offering so many Canadian women the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Fury mixes it up and are at 17. Definitely a strong bid for another Summer run.

NEW ZEALAND

Amber Hearn

Ria Percival

Aivi Luik

Server Uzunlar

ENGLAND

Jodie Taylor

Michelle Evans

USA

Courtney Wetzel

Katie Bethke

WESTERN CANADA

Sari Raber

EASTERN CANADA

Dayle Colpitts

QUEBEC

Marie-Eve Nault

Bahar Sansar

SOUTHERN ONTARIO

Alyssia Lagonia

EASTERN ONTARIO

Cristina Julien

Gina Pacheco

Haisha Cantave

Rachelle Beanlands

Going to the annual Fury Press Conference next week. Will have a chance to speak with both Fury coaches (Smith and Valentine) to get their thoughts on the upcoming season.

Women have a lot of attacking options this year, Men have a big squad turnaround to last year's fairly succesful season. Should be an interesting season ahead.

Anyone wanting any questions asked?

gws

Sure, love to, sorry it took so long. Any feedback you can share would be great but a couple of things that would be interesting:

- they are unique in the country in their international approach - what are some of the highs and lows of running a performance-oriented program in Canada?

- we have half a million females playing the game recreationally and the CSA services them quite well, but outside of a few players like the Fury the professionalization of the top end of the women's game is struggling. Why? And what changes at the association level would help provide a better club/training infrastructure for Canadian women?

- How will the USL1 team and facilities benefit the Fury women, and what is their vision for 20 years from now?

Vic, my apologies but I left this morning without checking on here. Hadn't seen anything from my previous post so............

Press Conference was pretty low key. Not a lot of local media (no surprise there). Terry Marcotte from CTV station CJOH, I believe French-language CBC and then myself from RogersTV (there was another lad but didn't get where he was from, sorry).

CEO and owner John Pugh talked about how well the Club has done in past years and that this year's editions of the Men's and Women's programs are as strong as they have been as they look to secure elusive (so far) titles. Also discussed the short-term future for the Fury which included participation in a higher level of play.

Carl Valentine talked about moving East to take over the PDL squad and the challenges ahead for that team while building on the success of last season. The players (at least those in attendance) were introduced.

Craig Smith was full of praise for last year's W-League team. Hinted that this year might see a few different formations and tactics due to the quality of new players at his disposal this year, which include a number of internationals from New Zealand, England and of course Canada. The players were introduced.

Few questions from the floor:

For Carl Valentine - With as many as ten new faces to the Fury PDL squad, and the fact that a good start is crucial in a fairly short season, does he have any concerns that team chemistry (which had been very good over the last couple of years due to the settled squad they had) might take a little bit longer than he would hope and therefore have them playing catch-up early against the stronger, more-settled teams in the Division?

Response - Yes, that is always a concern but he is pretty confident the team will gel quickly once everyone arrives in town (last player arrived yesterday). Also stated that he hoped other teams were facing the same turnover issues the Fury were and that no-one would really have that big an advantage once the season started.

For John Pugh - Was there any update with regards to the Stadium (Lansdowne)?

Response - Nothing more than has already been mentioned in the media and the proposals for the site that were revealed last week (which were mainly to do with things other than the stadium).

For Craig Smith - You seem to have addressed the one 'minor' weakness to last year's squad which was depth. Are you confident you have filled out your squad with enough talent to cover the inevitable injuries, suspensions and wear and tear of a long playoff run?

Response - He couldn't have asked of any more from the girls last year, they gave everything they had. In the last game v Washington, for the first half hour it was all Fury but they just died on their feet as he was missing players due to previous playoff games. This year will be different, with the squad promising to be not only deep but very competitive as players know they need to fight for their positions in making the starting eleven.

All in all, pretty laid back event but having watched both these teams up close over the last few seasons I see no reason at all why both of them shouldn't be in the playoff mix come the end of season. Key for both of them will be trying to get home field advantage in the playoffs at Algonquin.

gwsmith63

That's actually great, thanks very much for the insight.

[Ottawa Sun]

Ottawa Fury 'raise bar' for 2010

Their seasons ended in bitter defeat and disappointment, but both the Ottawa Fury men and women have reason for optimism heading into 2010.

Entering their fifth season, the Fury men of the Premier Development League are coming off an undefeated regular season (12-0-4) en route to their first-ever division title. But they bowed out in their playoff debut to the Ocean City (N.J.) Barons.

Incoming coach Carl Valentine, the Manchester-born alum of Canada’s first and only World Cup entry, in 1986, comes with loads of credentials, including his 2003 induction into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame.

For the Fury women of the W-League, “the only thing that’s missing is that trophy,” said owner John Pugh, after the team lost out in penalty kicks to the Washington Freedom in their fifth Final Four appearance in club history.

“We have a habit of being close but no cigar, but this year, I think, is going to be different.”

In two seasons under the guidance of coach Craig Smith, the Fury women have compiled a 24-2-2 regular season record, while going 3-2 in the playoffs.

While the results were considered a disappointment for both squads, “we’ve raised the bar going into 2010,” said Pugh, as teams unveiled their 2010 rosters at a press conference Tuesday.

Smith said he hopes to take his team “one step further than last year.”

Twelve members of last year’s squad are returning, including six with national team experience.

Valentine expects to field a “hard-working, exciting” roster, but admits it’s “hard to top an undefeated season.”

“A lot of these players are going to go to the next level, so it’s important to be in an environment where you can think the game and grow as a player, and obviously this is what I’ve done my whole life, so that’s what I hope to provide,” he said.

Pugh is keeping a close eye on developments at City Hall as well, where he hopes a soccer pitch will be approved as part of Lansdowne Live’s proposal.

“I think the city is ready for pro soccer,” said Pugh. “Most of us in the soccer world can’t wait for that stadium to be approved. Hopefully, we’ll be playing soccer on that field as soon as we possibly can, along with bringing back a (CFL) team.”

The men open their season at Algonquin College on Sunday (4 p.m. Rogers), while the women’s home opener is June 5 vs. the Rochester Ravens

The Fury have a really strong roster and it is deeper and looks more balanced. Nice to see some local flavour too. Not sure about the others (Laval, Quebec, Hamilton, London and Toronto) but the Fury and Whitecaps both have incredible talent and it's a real shame the only place they can meet is probably the final. That seems just, well... wrong.

It's 2010, we're Top 10 in the world and we do not have a national competition for our best women's teams. Nutrilite has national championships for men, boys and girls - none of whom are the main purchasers of their products. There seems to be a natural fit missing.

If you know anyone at the association level or Nutrilite - lobby them. It should be a 3-4 day weekend tournament in the summer in central Canada for the W League teams. It would be cheap. The only team that would have to fly in is the Whitecaps, the rest could train/bus.

The only way to create history is to start it.

Popping by and don't see this here yet as the Caps adding more Nats to the mix -

May 27, 2010

Vancouver Whitecaps FC continue to bolster their women’s squad as they added even more Canadian national team talent to the roster with the acquisition of prolific striker Melissa Tancredi, as well as defenders Melanie Booth and Robyn Gayle. The three veterans join the women’s team for the upcoming United Soccer Leagues (USL) W-League season, which opens on Sunday, May 30, at Coquitlam’s Percy Perry Stadium at 2:00 p.m. PDT.

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-may/whitecaps-may-27-w-signings.htm

Cheers,

Hey! - glad to hear from you. I came across it earlier over the W wire and was going to get it up tonight but you beat me to it. Must be a lot of excitement around with everyone arriving and so many great players and the great staff and ownership group. Hopefully everyone lifts each other up and the skies the limit. There are so many talented teams - Toronto was solid last year and both Quebec teams play good ball too. One day there will be a national women's championship, but in the meantime with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck they could well just DIY a maple leaf all over the W playoffs.

I really like the team Vancouver is putting together. The optimist in me is hoping they are building a solid Canadian base together in order to move to the WPS next year.

What the heck: dream big!

I really like the team Vancouver is putting together. The optimist in me is hoping they are building a solid Canadian base together in order to move to the WPS next year.

What the heck: dream big!

Vancouver is very interested in WPS. They have had talks and Steve Nash did make a direct investment in the league itself. I think Lenarduzzi has said something to the effect of putting all their effort into their MLS launch first, before going to WPS (basically, one big project at a time). It is unfortunate that MLSE only care about money and will wait until WPS is either dead or profitable before making a decision as this would be really easy for them.

WPS needs Vancouver too. It lost the LA Sol (which had Marta and LeBlanc) in January, and St louis Athletica (Solo, Boxx, Chalupney, ect) just folded due to extreme owner stupidity. After adding two expansion teams, they are back to just seven teams. WPS needs Vancouver and the WNT needs atleast one (really two) Canadian WPS teams.

Whitecaps eek out a 2-1 home win in the 89th minute over Colorado (who subbed in a pair of '09 Fury players). Colorado tied it late and the Caps demonstrated some pretty good resilience to bounce back and get the full points with little time left. The Fury bagged a couple of 2-0 wins running the bench late but neither team had marquis competition and I suspect both are a long way from high gear yet with a lot of kinks to work out. Hopefully the coaches and players of both teams are fully committed to the tough task of pulling that off in a 6-week season.

Rochester got an injury time marker to tie the Toronto Lady Lynx 1-1 after Toronto had the lead for 75 minutes on an early goal from U20 Adriana Leon. Hard luck for the Lynx, for the break and also having to play in Oshawa. Not going to get much fan support there.

Laval edged Quebec with a Gordie Howe performance from Gatineau's U20 Julie Casselman who had a goal and a caution. The other was a Quebec own-goal.

As opposed to the rest of the world where they have long seasons we have just a very short period of time to get out and enjoy watching our great Canadian young women play. Carpe diem and drag out any and everyone you can to show your support.

Vic......

Its time for Women's V Cup ........ random draw amoungst the teams and play two game knockout to lead to a championship game, winner takes all.

The Fury have a really strong roster and it is deeper and looks more balanced. Nice to see some local flavour too. Not sure about the others (Laval, Quebec, Hamilton, London and Toronto) but the Fury and Whitecaps both have incredible talent and it's a real shame the only place they can meet is probably the final. That seems just, well... wrong.

It's 2010, we're Top 10 in the world and we do not have a national competition for our best women's teams. Nutrilite has national championships for men, boys and girls - none of whom are the main purchasers of their products. There seems to be a natural fit missing.

If you know anyone at the association level or Nutrilite - lobby them. It should be a 3-4 day weekend tournament in the summer in central Canada for the W League teams. It would be cheap. The only team that would have to fly in is the Whitecaps, the rest could train/bus.

The only way to create history is to start it.

Thanks Trillium, I'm really hoping someone at the CSA or Nutrilite see's the opportunity and need. Because of the distance I think the most affordable way to do it would be a long weekend tournament using a similar format.

Caps add 6 more local girls and are up to 33, at least 30 of which is developing local and Western girls. Huge credit to the Whitecaps for their program.

Archived